main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spidey Clone Sage Revisited

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Johnson, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I didn't see a Spider-Man thread, but I've been gone for a while so I might have missed it. If so, Mods feel free to lock and point me in the right direction.

I was looking at some of the information on Marvel's site and saw that there was an entry for Spider-Man: The Clone Saga #1. I?m not sure what exactly the end result of this series is going to be. Its confusing as to to whether this is a retelling of the original Clone Wars story that will fit into cannon, or whether this is basically one large What-If. My big question is, does this mean that Ben Reilly will be back for good after all this is over? Because, honestly he was the best thing to come out of the Clone Saga. I?m cautiously optimistic for to see what comes out of this series. At the very least, that art courtesy of Marvel.com looks pretty good.

Any thoughts/opinions on the new mini-series? Also, I put the cover art and solicit info below.

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/full.jpg]

You?ve been asking for it?and now it?s here: THE CLONE SAGA!!! Marvel?s most controversial event of all time returns with a vengeance, presenting the Clone Saga as it was originally intended to be told! From the minds behind the crossover that changed comics forever and the artist that introduced Spider-Man to President Obama, it?s six issues of twists and turns that will shock fans old and new alike! Be here as Peter Parker?s worst nightmare begins again?now with an ending you have to see to believe!

2. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    It would be interesting if this was a mini-series that revisited the original story and more coherently put the entire thing together in a condensed for, but beyond that I don't really see why they would go back to this. What I find interesting is the blurb about this being the story that was meant to be told...which to me means that it would be either a retcon (after BND I doubt even Marvel is that ballsy to pull another retcon and further screw with a story that is already confusing enough) or fodder for another Marvel Knights story (ie Spider-Man Reign). After all wasn't that the pointing of reworking the Marvel Knight's title (taking it away from their more mature subject matter and making it extended what if stories)??

Either way I can't say I am looking forward to this. With the potential fall out from Dark Reign ASM seems far more interesting right now and in the coming months.

3. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    The only positive to come out of this could be the return of Ben Reilly. I was a Scarlet Spider fan though so I'm biased.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I vote for One More Day retroactively changing the timeline so that it was Ben acting as Spider-Man at the time of the Civil War and such, and retroactively Ben making the deal to forget everything. Meanwhile, Peter has retroactively not made any deals with the devil. Best worst retcon ever!

5. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    If I didn't know better I'd think you were Joe Quesada in disguise. You aren't right? [face_thinking]

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    AFAIK this is an out of continuity miniseries based on the original proposal sans editorial interference. Could be interesting.

7. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Its like one terrible retcon slept with another terrible retcon and produced a super retcon the likes of which the world has never known. Oh the horror! :_|

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If you read "The Life Of Reilly", then you'd know the problems of the original storyline. For those who haven't, the gist is that in the early 90's Marvel abandoned the Editor-In-Chief position and switched to the group editor format. One lead editor for a group of books. They would then answer to marketing and sales. When "Power & Responsibility" and "The Exiled Returns" hit, Marvel's marketing wanted the story to go on longer as it sold big for Marvel. Over time, the clear cut ending to the story kept changing as the storyline grew out of control, leading into "Revelations". By the end of 1995, the group editor format was dropped and the EIC position returned with Bob Harras in the hot seat.

That's exactly what it was. We're seeing what it would've been from two of the four writers involved, had marketing interference not occured. It's coming out at the same time as "Who Is Ben Reilly?", where Peter encounters a person who wants revenge on him, only it has to do with Ben and possibily Kaine.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [image=http://www.denimfilms.com/boardpics/HeadBangondesk.gif]

This is not the clone we're looking for. Move along, move along.

10. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I'd be interested in reading this mini-series. I loved the character of Ben Reilly and was utterly broken inside when they killed him off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.