Spidey vs. Starwars at the boxoffice

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by ohitsmagic, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohitsmagic Jedi Knight

So anybody have opinions on if AOTC will beat Spiderman for opening weekend sales? Previously I couldn't imagine any movie raking in more that AOTC, but lately I've been thinking Spidey may win for the first weekend. I am confident that if you look at total from the first month, that Star Wars will come out ahead.

The interesting thing is that I asked the ticket person at Southpoint if they would put Star Wars in both of their biggest screens, and he told me they would only have one big screen for AOTC and the other would be Spidey. This was kinda shocking to me. If this is the practice nationwide, then Star Wars definitely will not make as much as Spiderman which had no competition last weekend.
  2. waynehead Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think star wars will have more staying power, but I don't think it will come close to that opening weekend record (I'd say 60-80 million friday-sunday). I'd expect the final tallies for both movies to be about the same. AOTC should do better overseas, though.
  3. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with you Wayne. There's more longevity in Star Wars if the story is good, but I expect the total dollar boxoffice take to be either neck and neck or below Spidey. We'll see what happens. Spidey was truly everything we wanted in a summer movie, and Ep II definitly has its work cut out for it.
  4. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    i agree as well. Spiderman was awesome, and it definitly will be hard to beat on the first weekend...but we'll have to see on Monday when this weekends ticket sales show up to see how much more Spidey made, at least state-side. Now worldwide, AotC will probably make more, as it is opening up about everywhere on may 16th and a few countries on may 17th. A scante few on later days. In the month though, it will probably reign.
  5. chuckreis Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would love to see AOTC hit the record but opening on a Thursday is going to hurt it's chances of making 100 million in three days. It might beat the weekend total though and I am positive it will break record for a movie opening on a Thursday :)
  6. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    ....and now it's up to $223 million in 9 days, and beat out episode 1 as the fastest to get over $200 million.... This things a vertiable juggernaut, baby.
  7. chuckreis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well it should lose some screens to AOTC this weekend. It will be fun to see this little race at the box office, now the true question is, can either of them beat Titanic?
  8. Padawan311 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think EP2 may have its work cut out for it, but of course I want it to beat out Spidey. Plus I read that EP2 will be playing on about 1000 less screens than Spidey because Lucasfilm only lets theaters that have digital sound play the movie, so that may hurt it alittle. But the Force will prevail!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.