main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spielberg and AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Crimson-Larko, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    Lucas Won't Let Spielberg Direct Star Wars

Spielberg has always been known to make great films. His recent sucess with Minority Report is the perfect example of this. However, with the question now put forward, do the fans think Spielberg could've done a good job with AOTC? Would Spielberg make it any less or greater then it already is? What would he add? What would he take out? And would fans appreciate Spielberg's contributations better then Lucas'?

If you were to ask me I'd say Spielberg would've done just a good a job on AOTC as Lucas has, if not better. One thing is for sure, Spielberg would've beat Lucas hands down during the battle scenes.

2. Obi_Wan_Kerobi2

Obi_Wan_Kerobi2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    This has already been discussed and the topic was locked. No, Spielberg would trick you into crying for Anakin's lost arm. Star Wars is George's baby, and he ain't going to give it up for adoption now. [face_plain]

3. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    A.I. anybody? yeeeeech!!!!!!!!!

He killed Kubick's Pinocio rip-off story.

4. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    spielberg..does not know star wars. no way. he is to technical. always wondering how things fly or function. he always wants to explain how things happen. with george. it's all there! boom. who cares.

i think spielberg would ruin the star wars films. he is too personally involved with the jew movement and the war issues.

nope. sorry. but good intentions.

5. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Here's why George Lucas should let Spielberg handle Episode III: because GL SUCKS AT DIRECTING. More than that, he's even worse of a writer. The plot lines are imaginable and fantastic, but when it comes to dialogue, he sucks. Many people beleive ESB is the best of all five Star Wars movies (I know I do.) The reason is that George Lucas only Exec-Produced it. He got other guys to write and direct it respectively, but he wrote a plot outline. Trust me, Star Wars is one of my true loves. Star Wars, food, and women, and my family are my top priorities in life, and I've watched the original trilogy and Episode I thousands of times each, and I've seen Episode II twice. But I think Spielberg would do a great job (I hear Minority Report is pretty good, by the way), maybe a better job than Lucas could do.

6. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    No he wouldn't!

You forget Lucas's unparallelled knowledge of CGI. Spielberg most likely would have wilted when faced with so much - or so little - during the production process.

While Spielberg is the best for character development direction (and might have done better with the romance scenes), Lucas is the man for action. He also knows Star Wars much better than anyone else.

The battle scenes you refer to, I'm sure, are from Saving Private Ryan, and while they are excellent battle scenes, and the Battle of Geonosis is a bit boring, Spielberg's goal was for us to know the sheer horror and personal trauma soldiers faced on the battlefield.
    Lucas was just trying to get a blockbuster battle that LOOKED spectacular.

The whole of this film is about confusion and I think that Lucas managed to get that across from the very frantic battle.

And AOTC IMO is better than any of Spielberg's films.
    Don't get me wrongo, I have great faith in the Spielberg - overall he is a superior director to Lucas.
    But when it comes to Star Wars, nobody does it better than Lucas (yes Kershner did better on ESB, but Lucas has proved with Episode II that he would have done it equally well).

7. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    how dare you boba? speak that way about lucas? star wars is not about dialogue. never was. never will be.

someone please lock this.

8. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Yes Boba you are a bit 'arsh.

Well I have yet to see Minority Report (it's only out next Friday here in the UK) but I've been waiting for this film since even before TPM!
    So I expect goodness.

9. Obi_Wan_Kerobi2

Jun 25, 2002
    "Many people beleive ESB is the best of all five Star Wars movies (I know I do.) The reason is that George Lucas only Exec-Produced it. He got other guys to write and direct it"

George Lucas was a very "hands on" producer on TESB and people forget that it was much of his money. Kershner had to ask approval for many shots, and while he did direct it, he wasn't just allowed to do anything. George Lucas HAS basically made every Star Wars film, just bringing other folks in for support. He has ALWAYS been heavily involved in their production. Just so you know before bad mouthing George Lucas.

10. Emi-Yan_Tetu

Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2001
    Boba what you said makes you sound very very stupid and ignorant.

This is thread is just stupid.

Star Wars = George Lucas

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    There was a thread about this yesterday, but got locked as it went entirely off the point, but I think Steven Spielberg would have done a great job directing Attack of the Clones, as good as, or even better than what George Lucas did. We've already seen how brilliantly Steven Spielberg can craft George's ideas into films, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I think he would have done just as well with a Star Wars film. However, it's not going to happen, which is a shame, but as he did such a good job on Attack of the Clones, George Lucas as the director is good enough for me.

12. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    If Spielberg did AOTC, it would be like Stephen King letting Thomas Harris do the last half of 'It' (the seven-year-in-the-making novel). It's not his story.

Spielberg does some awesome movies, but Star Wars is ONE story with 6 chapters, Spielberg can't expect to interrupt it half way through.

13. Obi_Wan_Kerobi2

Jun 25, 2002
    I think Spielberg would have done a good job on AOTC too, but I don't think it would have been any better. Plus, it wouldn't be digital :(

But I'm tired of hearing people bitch about Lucas. They easily forget that he CREATED BLOODY STAR WARS. But that doesn't seem to matter any more to some folks. I am glad Lucas is doing Episode 3 and thats that. :)

14. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    spielberg would have used the AI kid as anakin and tom cruise as the older anakin
    maybe some blonde to play amidala.

[face_plain]

cant wait for this to get locked.

15. Crimson-Larko

Mar 14, 2001
    I'm hardly bitching about Lucas. I'm just want to see what fanbo... *cough* fans think that Spielberg would've done with AOTC if he was director. I wasn't saying "GIVE AOTC TO SPIELBERG"

Homeless, you shouldn't be too complacent. :)

16. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I HOPE THIS THREAD REMAINS OPEN UNTIL THE END OF EARTH ITSELF. LONG LIVE "SPIELBERG AND AOTC!!!!"

17. Crimson-Larko

Mar 14, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Seriously but guys. Stay on topic or the thread will get locked.

18. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It would be interesting to see how Steven would have handled a Star Wars theme, as there are certain themes that if you are familiar with his work that can be found in Attack of the Clones, such as the anti-war message, the three father and son relationship and father figures in the film, and a conspiracy within the government. Probably if he had directed the film, he'd have explored all those themes further, where as George only really touches upon them.

19. Crimson-Larko

Mar 14, 2001
    Indeed. With George we only see hints of these things, and they usually all underlie the story. Spielberg would've fleshed these things out.

20. kangaku

kangaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Well, if Spielberg would've made AOTC it certainly would've cost a lot more since he wouldn't have used as much CGI. Yeah, I know AI used a lot of CGI and Minority Report too, but AOTC by virtue of it's locations and aliens requires it. I'd be afraid Spielberg would use too many rubber masks and the cost would be $200 million and the film could hardly break even then let alone pay for the future movies.

Spielberg likes to cast A-List actors. Lucas likes to cast relatively new/unknown actors. (Hayden Christianson, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Tom Selleck, Christian Slater, Richard Dreyfus, Cindy Williams all somewhat unknown when they were cast by Lucas.) So, I don't think Hayden would've been cast. Instead we'd have had DiCaprio or Ryan Phillipe. I don't really like either of those guys. Hayden = Anakin. Osment probably would've been a better choice than Jake Lloyd though.

He wouldn't have relied on the type of humor that Lucas likes, which probably would've been nice. But I'm happy with Lucas' work just the same. BTW, wasn't it in the book "Empire Building" that mentioned that Lucas wanted Spielberg to direct ROTJ but wouldn't because he's part of the director's guild? Oh well, another strike against that book!

21. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    to get back on topic and staying away from criticising Lucas or Spielberg, it would be interesting to speculate on how Spielberg would have directed the same story.

Some considerations first.

The movie would be filmed digitally.
    The basic story arc would NOT change.

This is a tough question. I think first that some scenes would first focus on small items than pan out to encompass the room. He seems to like that technique.
    Cameras would sweep the scenary a bit more, especially on Naboo.
    Probably have a few more close-ups on the actors mostly during scenes with CGI characters.
    The Padme family sequence would probably be kept in. The trinket Padme received from Anakin would definitely be kept. Spielberg seems to like using small devices like that.

The action sequences would still be mostly handled by Lucas I think and I don't think they would change much.

at most I think we would see a 10% change in the overall movie.

22. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> They easily forget that he CREATED BLOODY STAR WARS.

Star Wars and TPM in the end are just remakes of Akira Kurosawa?s Hidden Fortress. So how can you say that George Lucas created Star Wars? He took somebody else?s story and changed the names and then proceeded to call it his own?

23. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Natalie_Portmans_Bum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    George also picked out a lot from LOTR, but some people forget that too :p

Everyone is inspired by someone else. ;)

24. JediCoz

JediCoz Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    he did a great job with the Indy series, and that was Lucas' story just as Star Wars is, I think he would have done an excellent job. i just think that it should be more of a joint thing between the two of them, if spielberg did it by himself it probably wouldn't feel right.

25. kangaku

kangaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    bad radio....didn't Kurosawa rip off Shakespere? I guess Kurosawa should be ripped then too. And Spielberg ripped off 50s sci-fi b-movies by making Close Encounters right? Sheesh...

Back on topic....

I doubt Spielberg would've filmed AOTC with digital cameras since he's not willing to do it with Indy 4. Also, when doing an AOTC DVD, Spielberg would not provide a director's commentary as he won't do it with the Indy movies (or any of his movies). Lucas really likes the DVD format and I think he goes all out on it. Spielberg would've put it out on DiVX!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.