main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spielberg and AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Crimson-Larko, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Are you kidding, Al? Minority Report makes AOTC look like a masterpiece in comparison.

2. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    SPIELBERG MAKES US PAY $60 FOR NON SPECIAL VERSION OF ET!!! GREEDY?

3. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    For a separate DVD? Brutal!

4. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    The $60 ET disc is not just for one disc but an entire deluxe set that includes both versions, a script, a collector's booklet and I think even the soundtrack.

Not bad if you ask me.

EDIT: At least Spielberg has the decency to release the original version that is beloved and cherished unlike the CGI/Butchered version.

EDIT 2: Follow this link for more specs on the ultimate ET gift set.

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Just saw Minority Report. Very good, very dark. Spielberg is still evolving as a filmmaker. However, I still prefer AOTC's visuals and action. I don't know if Spielberg can make that type of crowdpleasing fun anymore.

6. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    EDIT: At least Spielberg has the decency to release the original version that is beloved and cherished unlike the CGI/Butchered version.

Since every post you write is some overt or backhanded swipe at Lucas, I will ask you, are you able to see into the future and are thus able to see what Lucas will do with the DVD releases of the OT?

7. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, I thought Minority Report was wonderful, showing an entirely new side to Steven Spielberg's directing, but a very brilliant, welcome and refreshing one, too. It seems as if this year both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have pushed themselves quite hard to make films in a different way from their usual style, and to me, it's very encouraging, as I think it'll mean that they will be exploring new grounds as film-makers. But, despite being a huge fan of Steven Spielberg, for me Attack of the Clones is still better, but that's not to say Minority Report isn't great, either.

8. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    Minority Report was a kick ass flick?much better than AOTC. Don?t get me wrong, I am a SW geek as much as the next guy, but c?mon people give some credit where credit is due. Be honest with yourselves instead of looking at SW as if it were made of gold. Let me reiterate? I am not a basher, and I love SW. But AOTC was as good as say? The Mummy Returns. I would have liked to have seen what Spielberg could have done with a SW movie? But it?s too late now.

9. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    So anyone who liked AOTC is not being honest with themselves?

The basher insight never stops on this forum.

Go over to a Minority Report forum if you think it was so wonderful. This forum would be a better place if the "X is better than SW" people would spend their time on forums devoted to movies they liked instead of movies they didn't like.

10. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Spielberg is the most overated director on planet earth and I would not let him near a SW movie.

I don't think that Lucas is that good a director but SW is his baby so he has the right to direct it himself.

11. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    I think both are wonderful, Shelley, so I'm going to stay here. Besides, those Steven Spielberg forums are so boring! Everybody's polite to each other :p.

Anyhow, I have looked at Attack of the Clones objectively, and in my mind, it is a great film. Certainly far better than either The Phantom Menace, and definitely better than The Mummy Returns, but then again, my cat is better than that film. To me, it just had everything going for it. It was brilliant, and I would say George Lucas is back kicking bottom again, but then somebody would say he always has been, and I don't want to get drawn into that debate, but in my mind, Attack of the Clones is great. So is Minority Report. But, as I said before, I prefer Attack of the Clones. So there.

12. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Since every post you write is some overt or backhanded swipe at Lucas, I will ask you, are you able to see into the future and are thus able to see what Lucas will do with the DVD releases of the OT?

I don't have the exact quote handy, but Lucas himself has already said the only versions that will ever be released on DVD are the SE's. Take it for what you will but I don't need a crystal ball to figure out what Lucas means.

13. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I think both are wonderful, Shelley, so I'm going to stay here.

I was referring to people who post (and post...and post...) about how such-and-such movie was so much better than AOTC and anyone who thinks otherwise is not being honest with themselves.

Besides, those Steven Spielberg forums are so boring! Everybody's polite to each other

I think these forums could stand to be a little more boring. 8-}

14. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Ah, sorry, Shelley, I was getting all defensive again. I apologise!

15. bad radio

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> So anyone who liked AOTC is not being honest with themselves?

No, that?s not what I said. I liked AOTC to some degree, but I don?t think it was as good as the others, including TPM. I was hoping that some people would just take off the blinders. I love SW, but I?m not afraid to call out Lucas when he makes a sub-par film.

>>>> This forum would be a better place if the "X is better than SW" people would spend their time on forums devoted to movies they liked instead of movies they didn't like.

No, this forum would be much better if people would discuss the myth, the philosophical issues, and the history that makes SW tick. We should be trying to figure it out, instead of frequenting a ?Obi-Wan?s lightsaber is green, Anakin?s is blue? thread?

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    You said:

Be honest with yourselves instead of looking at SW as if it were made of gold.

Your preceding and following commments imply that you think that if we were honest with ourselves, we'd agree with your opinion that AOTC is a subpar movie.

I was hoping that some people would just take off the blinders. I love SW, but I?m not afraid to call out Lucas when he makes a sub-par film.

So people who don't think AOTC was a sub-par film are a) wearing blinders; and b) afraid to call out Lucas when he makes a sub-par film?

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Ah, sorry, Shelley, I was getting all defensive again. I apologise!

Don't apologize. I was just clarifying my comments. :)

18. bad radio

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> Your preceding and following commments imply that you think that if we were honest with ourselves, we'd agree with your opinion that AOTC is a subpar movie.

Yes.

>>>> So people who don't think AOTC was a sub-par film are a) wearing blinders; and b) afraid to call out Lucas when he makes a sub-par film?

Yes and yes.

EDIT: If you liked it, you liked it. I guarantee, however, that when we have all six films to look at, AOTC will pale in comparison to the rest of them.

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Then why did you deny that you said those things in an earlier post?

20. SithMacqdor

SithMacqdor Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2002
    When asked in Cinescape on what he Spielberg felt about AOTC. he felt the movie was awesome and trully one of George Lucases best attempts since Emprire Strikes Back.

Both men are good friends and appreciate good film making. Minority Report was a average movie after this year no one will even remember it just like A.I

Doesnt make Spielberg a bad man, but Clones is reaching 300+ Million in the US as we speak and Minority Report wont even come close. By Speilberg standards its a let down.

Truth Hurts

21. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'd let Spielberg direct the next SW movie. In a heartbeat.

22. sr_spielbergo

sr_spielbergo Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    AOTC is on the level of the Mummy Returns? Minority report was good? You suck. . . wicked hard. I'm glad I don't have you're tastes.

23. sr_spielbergo

sr_spielbergo Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    You're an idiot too, bad radio.

24. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Why is Sr Spielbergo bashing his union American equivalent?
    Anyway, Minority Report was good, but the last 20 minutes sucked. None of AOTC sucked, apart from the few bits that did.

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd let Spielberg direct the next SW movie. In a heartbeat.

I wouldn't. And I'm glad Lucas wouldn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.