main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Spielberg is NOT directing, enough talk about him

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by kevmp, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    It's funny though...I remember watching the "Jump the Shark" episode of Happy Days maybe around 79-80 in reruns....I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw on TV up to that point LOL. Ah to see the world through the eyes of a 5 year old again....

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok, time to update the master list, yodasbum!

3. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Ha, I remember that too. I was 6 or 7, and when it aired, they did a close-up on the shark & then the dreaded "to be continued" came up....and I hit the roof.

kevmp likes this.
  4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I never thought he would direct Episode VII, but its nice to now have it confirmed. Its one more name we can cross off the list.

5. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Yeah time to update the list.

Now I'm not trying to be smart and argue that he is directing the movie because he doesn't seem the type to bluff and unlike other directors I would take him by his word. But...

Would anyone expect him to say yes or be non commital in the interview if he had been approached or signed up?

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Kinda upset, though he had potential to be a good director.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He directed parts of ROTS. And given his track record that would have been good to have SS direct. Oh well.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    It's a totally weird answer. "It's not my genre." What, since when? Was Steve the only person on the planet that didn't realize he was supposed to direct a SW movie? :D

9. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    So the greatest film directors of all time are overrated?

yodasbum likes this.
  10. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    We all know that scifi and action adventure is NOT Speilbergs genre.

11. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    He always said he wanted to direct a Star Wars film but that it was "George's Baby". There's more than meets the eye here.

12. Corruptor

Corruptor Jedi Master

Mar 27, 2002
    A bit disappointed actually... oh well.

13. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    To be fair, overrated does not mean that something is bad. All it means it is has gotten more praise than it deserves often to the point where even its flaws go unnoticed. At least that is how I generally view the idea of something being overrated.

tuskinraiderfromhell likes this.
  14. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Also Happy Days was not exactly based on American Graffiti, there was a pilot made in 1971, that aired on "Love American Style" some anthology show. Lucas saw the pilot and cast Ron Howard in American Graffiti, feeling he would be perfect for Graffiti. After American Graffiti was a hit, Happy Days was green lighted as a TV show to cash in Graffiti's success and on the wave of 50's nostalgia that was happening. So they were kind of developed concurrently and influenced each other. It's kind of interesting how intertwined they were.

15. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Did anything think he would want to

16. JTShiro

JTShiro Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I understand Spielberg not directing (its probably for the best), but I don't get how this isn't his genre quote. Last I check Spielberg made ET, Minority Report, Jurassic Park, Close Encounters all science fiction films so I don't particularly get how he says it isn't his genre (if he meant anymore it would make more sense)

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Maybe he's just trolling a bit, stating the obvious untruth about it not being his genre.
    Who knows, we'll see.

18. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Some will debate me on this, but Star Wars is not really science fiction. At best it is a very different breed of it. Is more closely space opera/fantasy

JainaSoloYJK and kevmp like this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He was actually my main bet on who would direct the movie. It's a bit dissapointing to see it confirmed.

20. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004

IMO, I simply don't like most of SS movies. The ones he did well are awesome. Saving Privet Rayn, War of the Worlds, Jaws are exceptions. Cameron and Jackson or Coppala I can't understand the praise they get. Jackson ruined TTT & ROTK by changing Tolkien's vision. Only movies I like from Cameron are the first Terminater and Aliens, although I didn't like how he took the easy way out and took the Alien out of A L I E N and made them bugs. Coppala, Ap Now. Which was George's. the God Father, boring. You want to see a gangsta flic, Goodfellas and Donny Brasico. On well we all have our own opinions.

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  22. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
    Crystal Skull was awesome! My fav Indy movie.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  23. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
  24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I didn't think he'd do Ep7, but who knows about 8 or 9. [face_thinking]

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001