main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spielberg ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by NyLonathatep, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    Should Spielberg have directed Aotc ?
    why is such a thing even being debated, Aotc was ( and in Spielberg's opinion as well )
    marvellously well directed, do you not agree?

It looked fantastic, some of the shots were absolutely amazing, the editing was flawless ( I have some experience in editing meself - I was the highest in my class when it came to that ) and the acting in the most crucial scenes was very good ( Anakin's confession, fireplace scene ( Anakin at least ),Count dooku.

give Lucas some credit for what he's done, im sure he would take it very personally if he saw that the majority of people thinks Spielberg should have directed Aotc.

This is turning into the usual basher/gushers stand-off, so I'm closing it. If you want to talk about Spielberg, please go to Community.

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Spielberg couldn't have directed AOTC even if he had wanted to. He's guild and SW isn't.

And I'm glad he didn't direct AOTC. His style is a bit to cutesy and sentimental for my taste.

*sits back and awaits the screeches of derision for daring to criticize the Holy One*

3. Bookedout

Bookedout Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    Agreed. Lucas knows what he's doing with his franchise. Spielberg does not necessarily guarantee greatness, The Lost World showed us that.

4. LordMaul99

LordMaul99 Jedi Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Oh helll nooooo!!! He would have crapped out the movie just like he did with that D A M N AI movie!!

5. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    No0o
    [face_plain]

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

6. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    HEY! I loved A.I.

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I have nothing against Spielberg because he has made some great movies and some of them are my all time favourites but there is no way I think that he should direct a Star Wars film. They are George's films not his and I can't see why fans are supporting him to direct the next one.

8. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    Spielberg shouldn't have made AOTC, or any other Star Wars film. Granted, TESB wouldn't have been as good if Kershner didn't direct, but that was a one off.

Leave Lucas, he knows what to do, and he will do it.

Spielberg HAS made some of the greatest movies ever and his duds in my opinion are The Lost World, 1941 and Temple Of Doom.

9. Vodstok

Vodstok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    I agree. Even Speilberg's "tough" endings come out a tad to shiny and happy. Okay, not Schindler's List, but c'mon. That was a true story.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Now Spielberg is complaining that "George won't let him."

Odd, that contradicts what he's said earlier: that he thinks only George should direct SW.

I wonder...will the same continuity cops that rip Lucas to tiny shreds whenever he makes what they think is a contradictory statement descend upon Spielberg?

Or is he too holy and exalted to be held to the same standards as that useless, talentless hack Lucas?

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Exactly. It's George's baby, his movies, and he'll do with them what HE wants. And if he didn't give AOTC to other director, we can be 100000000% sure that he won't give THE Ultimate Episode, Episode III to someone else.

I like Spielberg's films (Schindler's List was brilliant, E.T. was sweet, and Saving Private Ryan awesome), but I kinda feel that he and Star Wars don't belong together.

12. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Spielberg couldn't have directed AOTC even if he had wanted to. He's guild and SW isn't

Hey Shelley - just so you know, Lucas went back into the guild so he wouldn't have any problems with the union when making the new SW movies - so Lucas is in the directors guild...

However - I've always been of teh opinion that SW was more of a 'documentary' style movie than a traditional 'action' movie - all that's missing sometimes is the narrator - in my mind anyway - and I think Lucas cemented that feeling with his 'extreme zoom' shots in AOTC... Lucas knows what he wants, and is shooting in his style - why bother getting anothe rdirector just so he can explain to him what he wants...

This is just my opinion in any case...

13. fchung

fchung Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    Minority Report sucked. Took to long to tell too little.

14. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Oh helll nooooo!!! He would have crapped out the movie just like he did with that D A M N AI movie!!'

Apples and oranges.

`Odd, that contradicts what he's said earlier: that he thinks only George should direct SW.'

I imagine he asked first, but understood why he couldn't. :)

And as for the latest AOTC poll, I voted no only because there was no option for `P.O. Steve!.' ;)

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Hey Shelley - just so you know, Lucas went back into the guild so he wouldn't have any problems with the union when making the new SW movies - so Lucas is in the directors guild...

He's not listed as a member on their website.

16. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Shelley
    where did you hear the GL wouldn't let him direct AOTC?

I thought he was asked for ROTJ, but he declined because he didn't want to interfere with Lucas' vision.

edit: oops the quote just came up on my screen :)

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I imagine he asked first, but understood why he couldn't.

Ah yes. There's always an excuse for everyone but Lucas. Only he ever contradicts himself, and only defenses of him should be dismissed as the ravings of a mindless Lucas-worshipper.

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    "Waaaahh! Waaahhh! Lucas won't let me direct a SW movie! Oh, this is the perfect way to grab sympathy for myself by getting in another dig at him, because everyone think he's a crappy director and I'm wonderful! This after getting in digs at him about digital projection and CGI! I'm on a roll here!"

Shut up, Spielberg, quit your whining and bask in the unquestioning, near-universal worship that you receive.

19. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    actually it sort of looks like its a bit tongue-and-cheek with his statement.
    It's sort of the way Spielberg seems to speak. using a bit of hyperbole.

I'm sure around 1987, Spielberg asked Lucas to ressurect the SW franchise where he offered to direct one.
    Lucas probably laughed and said that if he created one he would direct them himself.

The interview is sort of saying in an off-handed way that he is a HUGE star wars fan and of course would LOVe to direct a movie. But then again who wouldn't

20. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I truly think AOTC turned out as good as it possibly could have.

Keep George, cause it doesn't need Spielberg.

Also, a few things to note.

With Spielberg, no digital photography!
    With Spielberg, no David Tattersall (Spielberg would most likely opt for the same DOP he has used since Schindler's List).
    With Spielberg, no Ben Burtt for editing (most likely bring in Michael Kahn, ASC).
    And with Spielberg, NO DLP VERSION!

Remember that next time someone wishes Spielberg takes the helm.

21. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    agreed. Albeit not the bit about A.I, which I loved.

"to wish someone besides George Lucas directed Episode II and III is as if you did not love Starwars"

22. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    AI SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Shut up, Spielberg, quit your whining and bask in the unquestioning, near-universal worship that you receive.

Holy schnikies that's a silly post.

24. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    He's not listed as a member on their website.

Hey Shelley - well - maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that Lucas went back in around TPM time... who knows...

25. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    prof_frink - Bail Organa basher :p

I think Spielberg would just make a good space movie, but not a Star Wars movie. Of course Lucas would be a hands on producer, so it might be interesting.

How about give Spielberg Episode 3.5 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.