main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spielberg ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by NyLonathatep, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    "AI SUCKED!!!!!!!"

eh... sod it.

I dont understand why Spielberg would say this, cos I remember when he said that he wasn't the right guy when it comes to Starwars. What a paradox.

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Hey Shelley - well - maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that Lucas went back in around TPM time... who knows...

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying he's not listed. Maybe they don't list all members online. *shrug*

3. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Darth Fisto

I wouldn't care who directed the movie (within reason) if we were able to get another star wars movie out :)

4. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    How am I a Bail Organa basher? ?[face_plain]

5. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Holy schnikies that's a silly post.

No sillier than the countless posts which accuse anyone who defends Lucas of being a "mindless Lucas-worshipper."

6. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    true, true.

7. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    "How am I a Bail Organa basher?"

blah blah blah blah

Anyway, you also hate ignorant Americans and are a proud Canadian. ;)

I would love Episode 3 NOT to be the last Star Wars film, but it will be. The only comfort is that some say I will die and I know that I won't miss another one. :p

8. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Anyway, you also hate ignorant Americans and are a proud Canadian.

You dug up that old post???? Or were you part of that argument I was having?

And that blah blah blah thing was because it was such a lame complaint... I have nothing against Organa or Jimmy Smits...

9. Darth_Fisto

Jun 24, 2002
    "You dug up that old post???? Or were you part of that argument I was having? "

I was part of the argument, but not against you, I'm not American. :p

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Soapbox alert!!! Sorry folks- I just felt my heart cringe when I saw a link entitled Speilberg in the AOTC threads....

Self Righteous Speilberg makes me want to barf. I am soooo glad Lucas'company only works on the effects for his films and that the 2 friends never got into business together.

If GL let Speilberg direct 1 of the SW films, I would gag. He wouldn't be able to do it. GL is the only 1 who can direct the PT, because A) He fully believes in the technology that they are using to create the films with. B) He has visualized these films for years, and knows the story better than anyone.

I often wonder how much better ROTJ would have been if Lucas had directed it completely himself?

Speilberg would never direct one of the prequels anyways- recently he reported that he would NEVER make a film completely digitally, he likes the choppy feeling of film. Since SW is now best made digitally, we won't have to worry about Steven getting his paws into the mix.

Steven owes his career to Lucas. Granted, he would have been an ok director w/o him, maybe even a truly brilliant one, focusing on just historical films. Jaws was a good film w/o GL's help, I'll admit that. But the effects were low class, Hitchcock-like if you will. W/o Lucas none of Speilbergs "blockbuster" films would have been made, at least not nearly as well as they were.

Let's also never forget, Indiana Jones is GL's baby. He invented Indy (he owned the original dog named Indiana,) created the story and the character. Steven directed ROTLA. And when left on his own, Steven gave us Temple of Doom- the worst Indy film in the trilogy. GL and SS together created Last Crusade to make up for TOD.

GL is a genius storyteller because he tells his stories w/ visuals as much as the dialogue. If you watched the SW films w/o sound, you would be able to mostly figure out what is going on. Can you say that for AI?

GL also has never admitted to being one who is out to make "great cinema" the way Spielberg reaches to achieve. Is that a problem? No. Speilberg has every right to make his historical dramas, and I admit they are good, I was dazed after Schindlers. However, I usually only need to see his historical once. I don't feel the need to watch them repeatedly. I got my history lesson, thank you very much.

Do I like Speilberg's other films? Sure I like his early stuff, Close Encounters, Poltergeist being the best, JP was great mostly for the visuals- so that was mostly thanks to ILM. The rest, mostly forgettable.

I think the fact that Hollywood/critics have also worked so hard at ostercizing GL, it helps make his visions pure. He can tell anyone to go stuff themselves because he has the money and self-made power to back him up. As a result, we are getting the PT films he wants to make, not what some studio is telling him to make. If the critics don't "get" them, who cares? GL doesn't, just read his interview in the latest SW Insider for proof of that. He may not make volumes of films, but the few he will leave behind are a legacy that will continue to gain in popularity w/new generations of fans, years and years down the road.

The fact that ET's re-release made next to Zippo at the BO, and SW's re-release in 97 made substancial money, proves which directors visions will hold up longer as time passes. Yeah AOTC may not crack the top 10 in BO sales, but it has won over most of it's disheartened fans, which was the main point GL wanted with the film. In time it will considered classic.

Steps off Soapbox, exhausted... :p

11. a_band_maul

a_band_maul Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    I should start by noting that Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are two of the greatist drama's ever made. But I have to say that after seeing AOTC and Minority Report back to back I came away liking AOTC more. It really proved to me how baised the critics are against Lucas.

I went with my dad and friend who both love and they came out saying it was just okay. That seemed to be the mood of the audience. In it there was some moments that made me cringe worse than even the fireplace scene. (Maybe not the dream though) So why are the critics swooning over it like it's the best thing since Raiders?

And the critics liked A.I. which was a horrible experience for just about everybody I know.

I guess Speilburg is becoming a critics director and Lucas is the fans director.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    a_band_maul

"I guess Speilburg is becoming a critics director and Lucas is the fans director. "

Exactly.

13. Darth_Fisto

Jun 24, 2002
    "Sure I like his early stuff, Close Encounters, Poltergeist being the best"

Spielberg didn't direct that. Tobe Hooper did, and no matter what rumours you heard, it was Tobe Hooper that directed it. Unless you are talking about Spielberg writing the story, but you make it sound like directing.

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Thanks for the clarification Darth_Fisto. I just always knew Speilberg was connected to it.

15. Darth_Fisto

Jun 24, 2002
    PadmeLeiaJaina

Thats OK :)

16. SidiousDragon

SidiousDragon Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2001
    Just to go out on a tangent, I'd like to point out that from a socio-psychological point of view the statement that "A.I. was a horrible experience for just about everybody I know." says quite a lot about the emotional state of today's ultra-cynical capitalist society.

But o return to the topic, I agree that Star Wars is Lucas' baby and that Spielberg should not go anywhere near it. It really isn't the type of film Spielberg should or could do. However, bringing in another, less assertive director, who would do what hes told, has been proven to work...Bring back Keshner!!

17. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I once felt that someone else should step in and direct. That was after TPM. But AOTC was such a leaps-and-bounds improvement, I think Episode III will be just fine. And quite honestly, after "A.I." and "Minority Report," I'm not sure I trust Spielberg any more. "A.I." was a complete mess, and I loved "Minority Report" until the last 30 minutes in which Spielberg decided to intentionally walk batters with a perfect game going. It was maddening. George has gotten this far. Let's let him finish and everyone shut up about it. Episode III is the *last* one he'd be willing to hand over to someone else.

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    *applause* for PadmeLeiaJaina's post.

19. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Err...Shelley, did Steven Spielberg bully you when you were little like George Lucas did with me?

20. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I think Spielberg would have made a good film out of AOTC, but Lucas did just fine as far as I'm concerned.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Thanks Shelley!

22. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    I had serious doubts about Lucas after TPM. I really don't know why, because I think that was the first film I had seen him direct that I thought was poorly directed. I guess I factored it in with rumors that his actors made up for his lack of directing skills. Maybe it can be chalked up to his extended hiatus from the director's chair.

But I definately think he made a huge step in the right direction - got his groove back, if you will - and I wouldn't consider anyone else for Episode III.

23. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Err...Shelley, did Steven Spielberg bully you when you were little like George Lucas did with me?

Nah. ;)

24. Darth_Fisto

Jun 24, 2002
    Why slag A.I. all the time. It was a great movie until the last 15 minutes, when it just sucked. But still a magnificent achievement none the less.

Episode 3 will probably improve upon AOTC, so Episode 3 might just be the damnedest best film ever. :)

ps, I know damnedest isn't a word :p

25. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I wouldn't let Spielberg anywhere near a SW film. He'd break all the props! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.