main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spielberg ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by NyLonathatep, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    "Steven owes his career to Lucas."

Alright, but if you go with that, you'll have to admit that George Lucas owes his career to Francis Ford Coppola. Personally, I disagree with either statement, and if, like me, you had a little knowledge about the two film-makers, you'd realise how silly saying something like that is. But in anycase, I'm glad George Lucas directed Attack of the Clones, as he did a wonderful job. I think Steven would have done a wonderful job too, as they are both great film-makers. So there.

2. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    And when left on his own, Steven gave us Temple of Doom- the worst Indy film in the trilogy.

Actually, GL wrote the original story to TOD, and was executive producer, the same as he was on the other INDY films.

3. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Well, not that I want to hi-jack the thread, but out of all the Indiana Jones films, George had more control over Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom than the other two. It'll be interesting to see whether the same thing will happen with Indiana Jones IV, if it gets made, that is.

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I seem to remember reading that Lucas wanted Temple Of Doom to be really dark but Spielberg wouldn't go there. And while Temple Of Doom isn't the best of the Indy trilogy, it is certainly head and shoulders above most modern action flicks.

As for the fact that Lucas didn't direct ESB and ROTJ, that is technically true. However, he did function as a ghost director, practically giving shot by shot approval at times.

So even if Spielberg did get to direct Episode III, I imagine Lucas would hold the reigns pretty tight and ensure that the movie got made his way.

5. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I think Spielberg would have been an awesome choice to direct any SW movie. Put those heads together and awesome things can happen. Spielberg has matured as a storyteller and would have served as the perfect foil to some of Lucas' wackier ideas that he has been experimenting with in the PT.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda I guess. Oh well. Maybe Spielberg will talk Lucas into letting him do the Sequel Trilogy.

6. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "I wouldn't let Spielberg anywhere near a SW film. He'd break all the props!"

And he would have Slave 1 flying upside down!!! ;)

Actually, I voted "Yes" in the poll but I think I want to take that back now. If the poll had been, "Should Lucas let Spielberg direct a SW film in the future?" I would so totally be up for that. Anything to keep it going after Episode 3. :D

However, I am not averse to Lucas going to Spielberg for his opinion on Episode 3. Spielberg is my favorite director of all time and he may have a few misses out there but I think he's done a darn good job overall. Besides, anyone who got into directing because of Lawrence of Arabia can't be all that bad right? :)

Now ask yourselves this question: If the only way we could get another SW film after Episode 3 is if Spielberg were to direct it wouldn't you go for that? Even if it wasn't Empire quality it would be fun to watch.

p.s. I heard the Lucas offered Spielberg the directing chair for one of the OT films, but Spielberg declined it. Anyone know why Spielberg has made an about face.

"George is my best friend and I believe I am his..."

LOL, George just doesn't express himself all that easily I guess. ;)

EDITED: FOR CLARIFICATION

7. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok, now don't crucify me for suggesting this... but what about a remake on ANH?

I mean Planet of the Apes was remade, if ANH has to be remade (not saying that it does but I fear that it is inevitable) who better than Spielberg to give it to?

8. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    Bring out the crucifix. :)

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    <<<<"George is my best friend and I believe I am his..."

LOL, George just doesn't express himself all that easily I guess. >>>>

LOL! That's funny! No wonder people think the love story dialogue is fussy at times, if GL can't even let Steven know that he's his best friend.

I love George. A man of mystery....

EDIT: Quick hords, gather ye Pitchforks and torches- onward towards Luke_Clone!!!!!

10. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    But ... but ... why do you hate A.I so much ?

It was ... brilliant really.

but oh well.

11. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    If this thread started because of the Empire interview, then my take on it was that Spielberg was asked a question and gave a tongue in cheek answer. Perhaps he did ask Lucas at one point. Who knows? I'm sure they talk a lot about things as all friends do. At the end of the day, Lucas does fine with the trilogy and, as he is the father of this world, nobody has more a right to direct it than he.

Although it does amaze me that somebody who's had such a history of making great movies would be slammed by so many people just because the question was brought up if he would like to direct a STAR WARS movie. Who wouldn't? Look at all the fanboys here who post their predictions on EP 3 by using screenplay format. If that's not fantasy wish fulfillment, then I don't know what is.

Now:

"Steven owes his career to Lucas. Granted, he would have been an ok director w/o him, maybe even a truly brilliant one, focusing on just historical films. Jaws was a good film w/o GL's help, I'll admit that. But the effects were low class, Hitchcock-like if you will. W/o Lucas none of Speilbergs "blockbuster" films would have been made, at least not nearly as well as they were. "

I think he would have been more than ok. All you're talking about are effects. At the end of the day, Spielberg is a master storyteller and I remember his narratives more than the effects. And ILM had nothing to do with the effects for CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. Douglas Trumbull was the effects supervisor in 1977. And what about a little movie like E.T.? Sure ILM did the space and flying effects, but the most important effect--E.T. himself--was created by Carlo Rambaldi.

"GL also has never admitted to being one who is out to make "great cinema" the way Spielberg reaches to achieve. "

So we're going to criticize Spielberg for wanting to make "great cinema"? Should he just make crap like Michael Bay and Brett Ratner? Would that make you happier? Sounds like you just slammed Lucas by lowering him to the standard of a hack. Even if it's purely entertainment, it can be "great cinema".

"Spielberg didn't direct that. Tobe Hooper did, and no matter what rumours you heard, it was Tobe Hooper that directed it"

Even Tobe Hooper has said that's more Spielberg than him. Just look at the structure, the camera angles, and the editing. Michael Kahn edited that movie to Spielberg's specifications while he was finishing E.T. Remember that famous on set photo of Spielberg directing the camera while Tobe Hooper stood aside watching? I have it up on my refrigerator. It's pretty funny.

And Shelley:

While I don't know Lucas's status in the DGA, I can only guess he has to be in the union again. MENACE was non union when it began production but when they went into production, it had to be a union signatory, because of the actors. They're all in SAG, mind you. So, while I cannot prove STAR WARS is a DGA signatory, I don't see how it could not be considering that MENACE became a union show. Certainly by the time FOX came on as distributor it had to be union.

A specious argument, really. If Spielberg and Lucas wanted to work together on STAR WARS, they would, union or no. Filmmakers really run Hollywood, not unions. In any case, Lucas needs help with the script, not the directing.

12. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    Darth_Fisto:

"Spielberg HAS made some of the greatest movies ever and his duds in my opinion are The Lost World, 1941 and Temple Of Doom."

That made me laugh, because you stole it from south park, and that no one can be serious about that. But if you are serious, then I apologise

Out of all honesty, I think Speilberg is getting pretty cocky since he is being held higher than ever before.

People say that GL is a person that thinks high of himself, But the new Speilberg is worse by all accounts.

And to answer, no. If Speilberg were to direct, the time between the Coruscant chase and the Geonesis would have been dragged out to a horrible extent, and A LOT of emphasis included would have made it incredibly dull and boring.

Put it this way
    GL had a 7 to 5 second ratio for Anakin and Padme/Obi-Wan scenes, repespectivly (we can agree there was a bit more forbidden love than mystery).

Speilberg would probably, being the director that he is now and has always been, have more of a ratio of 15 to 5, focusing on dialogue more than anything else.

I think one of the skills Geroge has that Steven, and any other director for that matter, does not is to tell one story with many sub-plots, have it properly distributed, and related in a way that the audience can easily comprehend (if you disagree, watch American Grafitti.)

Also with Steven, he has always hidden the bad guy so to say, which is traditional in a sense, While in the style of star wars, we see very well what the bad guy does, and what they are going to do (back to the talent GL has.)

Ok, I think that's enough

13. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    The only thing that would have been better in AOTC if Spielberg had directed would be some of the performances. Spielberg seems to give his actors more freedom so they come across as more natural in his films.
    However, when it comes to action, visual effects, editing, etc. no one can beat Lucas. And he doesn't seem to have Spielberg's preference for schmaltz, which is a good thing.

14. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Ok.. wow... this thread is a little nuts...

Spielperg may have been a good colaborator on SW 10 years ago, but spielberg, for some reason, is a critcs whore now - all he cares about are good reviews and oscars - did you see the absolute shock and disapointment on his faces when saving private ryan DIDN'T win the oscar (I've never seen it - I hate 'real life' war movies - I can't handle them, so I don't know if it deserved it or not...)

Anyway - Lucas, could care less about the critics and awards, so I think this may have been a big sticking point if they worked together...

Steven owes his career to Lucas.

I'm no Speilberg supporter but this is simply not true - aside from the Iny collaboration, they've done nothing together. And it's true, if anybody owes his career to anyone, it's Lucas to Coppola - Coppola was the one who gave Lucas his first breaks...

15. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Please keep this discussion to Spielberg and AOTC, and not Spielberg's career in general.

If you want that, go to Community.

16. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    The entire Movie Brat generation of the 70s owes their careers to Coppola.

17. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    If ANH was remade, George would have to be dead for quite some time.

It may happen, but it won't good, and it would be useless because it would be the same.

If someone were to capitalize on the star wars franchise, it would a) making episode 7-9, or b) creating a saga that takes place in the same galaxy, but during a different time frame, and would be almost no relation to the characters in the star wars saga.

Infact, it wouldn't be called Star Wars. It would be called something like Dark Galaxy or something like that.

the second is a bit of a strech, but it would be better than remaking episode 4 or doing 7-9.

EDIT: I didn't see the message until I was done with this post.

18. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    I'm sure that Spielberg made any number of suggestions to AOTC. If anyone is allowed to make a criticsm that Lucas will listen to, it is probably Spielberg, since they are such good friends. So in a sense he was involved in AOTC.

19. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    Hmmm, this isn't exactly Episode 2 but if Spielberg were to help out on Episode 3, or if he had given George advice on Ep2. ;), maybe he could have found/could find a better writer to help Lucas out?

20. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Darth Homer hits it right on the head. After the "deep" films "AI" and now "Minority Report" and their sucrose-laden, DRIP endings that cheat audiences of any form of thought, how could anyone want this guy directing Star Wars in its darkest hour? NO WAY. Spielberg needs to stay away. FAR away. I used to love his stuff (well, not "Hook"), but I've felt so screwed on his last two films, I'd prefer his prints to be off what could be a FANTASTIC Episode III. No thanks.

21. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    It's true about A.I. it was one of the darkest, thought provoking films I've seen in a long time, and then the last 15 minutes assume that you're an idiot and need to be pacified... No way would Kubrick have given AI such an ending...

Which again leads me to believe that Speilberg would not fit in with SW - and he knows it, publicly stating that he wouldn't interfere with Lucas' work... He likes sugarcoating too much...

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Steven owes his career to Lucas.

Umm hello- well if not Lucas himself, than ILM. Let's mark out the films shall we???

Indiana Jones 1,2,3, ET, Poltergeist, Jurassic Park, Lost World, etc, etc...

Practically any Speilberg film from the 80's to the 90's went to Lucasfilm/ ILM for sound editing, and special FX. If ILM wasn't around, his big blockbusters would NEVER have been created. Or if they were, they likely would not have reached the same quality that ILM was able to offer to them.

Sorry if I tend to blur the lines. I think of GL and ILM/ Lucasfilm/ Skywalker Sound to be 1 and the same.

Sorry Griffz

23. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    How do you know if Lucas weren't around, Spielberg wouldn't have created his own version of ILM. It's not like Lucas himself sat around the computer and developed the programs himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas didn't even know how to check e-mail.

24. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Well, you might as well say that most of the film-makers around at the moment owe their careers to ILM, in that case. It's still flawed reasoning. It was Steven's skill as a film-maker that made those films with ILM effects a success. It wasn't because of them, by any stretch of the imagination.

25. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas didn't even know how to check e-mail.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.