Amph Spike Lee's Oldboy remake

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    Red Band trailer

As much I love Lee and Brolin, I'm not feeling that enthusiastic about this.

Show Spoiler
    I really hope that the trailer is misleading and they're sticking with the original's ending.[/url]
  2. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    um elizabeth moddamn olsen is in it. you didnt mention that, didja ****-face?
  3. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    the olsen nottwin. the talented olsen, as she is sometimes known
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    I know who she is, I just didn't recognize her.
  5. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Oh just **** off Hollywood. Seriously.
  6. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Haha. I didn't think it looked awful.
  7. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Well, it can't be as bad as the Bollywood version, I suppose. [face_plain]
  8. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Who cares if it doesn't look awful? The original is a work of art; you don't just decide to redo the Mona Lisa.
  9. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    If they can remake The Karate Kid with the spawn of they Fresh Prince, they can remake ANYTHING!!!
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I'll probably go see it, just because it's Lee & Brolin. But the main good thing is that it's giving me an excuse to finally get off my butt and watch the original. Blu-Ray has been ordered!
  11. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    im onboard just because of spike lee and elizabeth olsen and the trailer didnt look awful. but i also sympathize with empire forever's sentiment...

speaking of park chan-wook, when do you think they'll get around to remaking Thirst? you know they want to
  12. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I love the cast and director, it's just that the original is such a masterpiece that remaking it just seems pointless.

I still need to see that. And Stoker.
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    "thirst" is my fave park chan-wook joint, followed closely by "im a cyborg and that's OK". its also among the best work of song kang-ho (the greatest leading man in korea and possibly the world)

run dont walk
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Jul 11, 2013
  14. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Thirst is great, Stoker is frustratingly medicore. It has some great creepy stuff and some nice moments, but ultimately the writing doesn't come together as well as it should.

Honestly, I'm going to see this movie because it's a Spike Lee Joint, and I like all the players enough that I'm curious to see what they do with the material, and whether they come up with anything new. Worst-case scenario is there's one great Oldboy and one bad Oldboy. Best-case scenario is two great Oldboys.

Yes, this is my hypocritical "I will take a look at a remake if it's by an interesting filmmaker stance." See also: "The Women, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop Corollary."
  15. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Oldboy might be my favorite movie of all time.

Cyborg is fun, though.
    Last edited by EmpireForever, Jul 11, 2013
  16. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    There's already a bad Oldboy, we run the risk of 66% bad Oldboy saturation. :p
  17. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
  18. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    And yet, we got The Departed.
  19. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
  20. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    I'd rather not have The Departed if it also meant no The Uninvited or Death at a Funeral(not that I think you can really even consider this foreign) or something.

On the bright side it has some talented people working on it and it looks pretty true to source(but that's just another reason why it doesn't need to be made).
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  21. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm still pissed off about Let Me In.
    Lord Vivec likes this.
  22. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    I was kind of ambivalent about Let Me In. It wasn't disrespectful, and it had a good Jenkins performance. But yeah, it was kind of just there. But I chalk that up to Reeves kind of being an anonymous director who hasn't really established himself much. Spike Lee (and Scorsese for that matter) while not perfect, is definitely another kettle of fish entirely.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    Reviews for this aren't encouraging. At least one critic compared it to the Wicker Man.
  24. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Yeah honestly, who gives a crap if the people are talented? I'm sure many talented people behind the scenes added to the talent on screen for the Italian Job remake and it was just awful.

That this gets mediocre reviews is proof that karma exists; you defile a great film and it gets panned by critics. You make overpriced phones and tablets and you get cancer. I mean it's just the cycle of goddam life people.
  25. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    [face_plain]

Really, Rogue Number Ten?