main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013

Meek Mill Ft. Rick Ross - "Ima Bossk"

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Hear me now and believe me later: There will be no spin off film in 2016.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Why do you say that?

4. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Because I believe the evidence supports that conclusion.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    What evidence? Other than the fact that they're writing them we know nothing about where they are in the production. Unless I missed something recently.

Pro Scoundrel and TheBBP like this.
  6. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Like I said: Hear me now and believe me later.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    So you're just guessing? Okay.

8. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I am analyzing the events which have happened that we all know about, drawing a conclusion which relies on my knowledge of the movie industry (not to mention this franchise) and making a prediction based on same.

Hear me now and believe me later: No spin off movie in 2016.

9. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Can i hear you later and believe sometime in between?

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Events that concern the spin-offs? There haven't been any other than the announcement that they're being made. So I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

11. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Events concerning the entire franchise. I am not analyzing anything in a vacuum.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I had a thread for this in the old forums in the Long Long ago but do people want an opening "crawl" and the standard Star Wars movie opening theme for the spin-off films? I'd be fine if they went their own route, put the credits wherever the filmmaker deems them appropriate. Save the "crawl" and standard Star Wars opening for the "Episode" movies (or maybe some big Old Republic style epic). But a Boba Fett movie? I'd say open it like a Bond flick, just drops you into an action sequence, no crawl, have a proper opening credits, etc. Like if there's a Han Solo movie that opens at his birth would you have 3 paragraphs about how his parents met?

13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The crawl should only be needed for proper episodes, because it's all part and parcel of the Saturday Matinee Serial format that provides the framework for the Saga. With the spin-offs, I think there's a lot more room for genre experimentation, though within certain boundaries I'd say. Basically nothing ultra-modern. There should always be a somewhat old-fashioned quality to Star Wars, but beyond that I'd say they should be pretty free to do what they want with these things.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    So Episode VII, then? They're two distinct productions so I'm not sure why one would have an effect on the other. If they were to delay the first spin-off then they would either have to release it in the same year as Episode VIII or wait until 2018. Neither scenario seems very likely to me because Disney has already let known their intent on releasing a SW film every year starting 2015. I think Episode VII was a special case because it's the start of the Disney era and is a much harder story to crack than a spin-off would be so they gave them extra time to get it right. I think they'll be much more strict with the spin-off so they can keep to their schedule.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  15. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    You contradict yourself in back to back sentences. First you say the E7 won't have an impact on the spin off because they're "2 distinct productions". Then in the very next sentence you say they likely won't release the spin off the same year as E8.

You're problem is you're looking at calendar years when you should be looking at time frames. Sure, a spin off movie in the summer of 2016 is a different calendar year from E7, but it would only be 6 months in real time - and believe me, Disney doesn't want that. But if they push the spin off back to December, they would have the same problem with E8 coming out only 6 months after the spin off, unless they also pushed that back to December. But that puts them in the cycle where everything is coming out in December, and I don't think they want that either. I think they want to return to summer releases.

Look, we're just spinning wheels here. I made my prediction, I'm sticking by it, and within a year or so we'll know whether I was right or I was wrong. Then if/when I am right, you'll have to decide if I knew what I was talking about or if I'm just the luckiest guy in the galaxy.

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This is just my opinion, but predicting a delay and being right shows neither that you knew what you were talking about nor that you are any level of lucky. If you are looking to be right, give specifics. Otherwise you have a guess.

Chewgumma and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I actually think Beezer has a tendency to be right.

Beezer likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think I contradicted myself at all. I said the production of Ep. VII shouldn't effect the production of the first spin-off. The part about not wanting to release the spin-off during 2017 because of VIII is completely separate from that. My reason for believing they wouldn't is because I don't think they'd want the first spin-off buried by Episode VIII. Anyway, so what if the spin-off is released six months after VII. Marvel has done it with their films so why couldn't Star Wars?

Six likes this.
  19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

I agree with that %100. I'm already concerned about these spin-offs watering down the saga. To help preserve that, some things should be left strictly for the Episodes. And if you nix the crawl, you lose the main title theme as well. Style-wise I think they should still adhere to the established template. Fast pace. Wipes/dissolves. Basic aesthetics. Absolutely no "pop" music on the soundtrack or over the end credits. These still need to look and feel like they take place in the same universe as the Episodes.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The SW universe is tens of thousands of years old and features countless characters/worlds/creatures. To limit the franchise to only one specific group of characters, or one specific family, is just dumb and limits creativity. You have this vast galaxy, go explore it more.

21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    They still have to sell to the casual fans. Far more casual fans will see this than there are us hardcore fans. They are using beloved characters to open the door to new players and a new era. It makes perfect sense. When they get this new universe rolling, you can bet that we will see more different aspects.

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'd personally LOVE to see a trilogy in the future that focuses on Yoda as the pivotal star but takes a look at the battle between Sith and Jedi long long ago. I actually see this happening. You can bring in an endless amount of new characters, get into the origins of the Jedi and Sith (or temporary extinction) and have one of the most lovable characters marketed like crazy: Yoda.

There's endless potential for this because they don't have to be tied to anything in books, comics, video games, etc. It can be any time frame you want. Even Mace said the Sith have been extinct for a millennium but that doesn't have to be taken literally. Talking about that kind of time,it can simply mean "about 1000 years, give or take".

Mystery Roach and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This. I expect them to start with movie characters and then move to the rest of the galaxy. Keep it a nice mix of movie era and else when in the galaxy.

24. Braxus

Braxus Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2001
    Yes, but Lumpy is from the OT-era and might as well be the hero of the ST.

25. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    http://toysrevil.blogspot.com/2014/01/katheleen-kennedy-on-upcoming-star-wars.html

"George was so clear as to how that works. The canon that he created was the Star Wars saga. Right now, episode seven falls within that canon. The spin-off movies, or we may come up with some other way to call those films, they exist within that vast universe that he created," she says.

"There is no attempt being made to carry characters (from the standalone films) in and out of the saga episodes. Consequently, from the creative standpoint, it's a roadmap that George made pretty clear," she adds.

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.