main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That was good. Can I have a couple more?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yoda. Would love a Yoda adventure where he is closer to his prime, and it would be equally cool to see the universe as it was several hundred years before the existing saga. Way more potential there than a movie where Vader or young Han run around being "badass" imo.

Darth Chiznuk and Dra--- like this.
  3. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I think a Yoda film would be great too. But he probably would be a badass.

4. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I don't want to see a Yoda film. Seeing Yoda jump around with a saber in AOTC killed the mystery of him. He was a spiritual Jedi buddha and didn't need weapons. He didn't need to move fast and think fast before that movie. He was better than that.

5. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Han Solo is Harrison Ford no one else (except maybe River Phoenix) so I don't want a "Solo" film.

The movie I want to see, and I've said it before, is a Vader hires Boba Fett to find Kenobi film. Yes, I know that Vader can't go to Tatooine because of the Luke thing but I think the movie would be cool. I think it would be more of a Chase/Thriller film than a SW film.

In the end when Vader asks Boba how he "killed" Kenobi. Boba says "disitegrated him" and hands him some sort of trophy. I think that would be a nice little tie in. ;)

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yoda should remain mysterious.
    We don't need everything spelled out for us.
    I don't want Yoda's origins to be told but the guy lived for 900 years - I can easily see a movie set sometime during that period, when he's already a Jedi Master. Perhaps a movie with him and young Dooku? That could be interesting.
    But I don't want to know where Yoda came from, how he was as an apprentice or anything. That would take out the mystery of the character.

7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    You know, I understand people loving mystery in the characters, and mystery in general is one of the things I value most in all narrative.

Having said that, I'm not sure that origins need to necessarily ruin how we feel about characters all the time. I think I'm saying that although the mystery may be lost, something equally good could be gained. I think we tend to value mystery over knowledge simply because the knowledge may often be uninteresting, or not what we imagine.

But with Yoda though, some of the mystery has already been lost in the PT. I personally enjoyed his fight scenes -- by far one of the best aspects for me in the PT.

What if the origin story for Yoda was better than the mystery? A longshot to be sure, but not impossible.

I would enjoy seeing a planet full of different sorts of Yodas. And I also imagine him fighting some really interesting villains.

8. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Sometimes, less is more.
    Yoda is somehwat unique. With the introduction of Yaddle, we see that he's not that unique, but at least very rare. I think it should stay that way. A planetful of Yodas sounds just terrible to me, sorry.
    I'm usually open for all kinds of new stuff but I really think that Yoda should be left out of the whole "spell everything out" business.
    Agreed, the origin story may be absolutely stunning in it's execution and in every other aspect but with someone who's got 900 years of life under his belt there are other ways of exploring the character further than a regular origin story.
    Again, it can be a good story. It's not like I will rant and kick and scream and swear a blood oath never to see it and bemoan the ruining of my franchise - it's just that I simply think not everything needs to be explained so directly.

9. Taalon

Taalon Jedi Knight

Sep 4, 2012
    Voted other. I more interested in seeing them move forward in the timeline or visit a different era entirely. Don't confuse that with disinterest though. I will be there for all them regardless. It's a compulsion.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that when (and I say "when" because a Yoda spin off is a dead cert) they do the Yoda movie, it will centre around him being in his prime as opposed to seeing him as a young tadpole finding his Jedi legs. I'd actually prefer a Yoda story that introduces us to the Old Republic rather than a standalone KOTOR movie. Speaking for myself, I've always had an issue with the extended timelines of the EU i.e. stories set ostensibly thousands of years before the films, but exist in a world with very similar technology etc.

kubricklynch and Dra--- like this.
  11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I've never had that problem, because simply look at our own history. Some fella 60,000 years ago tied a piece of string to a flexible piece of wood and decided that the best thing to do with it is put a pointy stick in it and launch it at the fella from the other cave. Then, for some 59,000 years everyone used that same basic concept. There were advancements in the materials used, tactics, better arrowheads, more flexible bows, more resilient wood, mixtures of this and that to get a sturdier or more powerful weapon - but the basic concept remained unchanged for tens of thousands of years. They may have made armor and swords out of better metal, lighter, harder, more durable, sharper, this or that color - but it's basically still a metal suit and a pointy metal stabby-thing. Same with tools, communication methods, transporation in fact the same can be applied to pretty much everything for thousands of years.

The technological boom of the last 150-200 or so years is just a tiny, tiny time period when compared to the entire history of humanity.

The rapid advancement of hi-tech stuff in the last decade or so can give people the false impression that technology always makes leaps and bounds in such short periods of time, but that is generally not the case and our time period is in fact the exception. I'm guessing we'll also hit a sort of "technological ceiling" at one point where things will stagnate for a couple o' thousand years, driving your same old boring spaceship to Tau Ceti and back and wondering why the hell don't we yet have transtemporal-quantum turbowarp multiphase spaceways.

It makes quite a bit of sense for the technology in Star Wars to stagnate overall, with the progress being made in this particular area or that. Also, let's not forget that over time technologies can also decline and be lost. There are many examples of ancient building methods that we have no idea how they did it and have no way of replicating that sort of quality even with all our nifty cranes, chemistry knowledge, satellites, lasers, facebook likes, wikipedias and endless tweeting.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I voted for Han Solo, Yoda and Obi-Wan. I don’t think the Yoda one is very likely, but I feel the Han and Obi-Wan ones are dead certs. I personally think Fett could appear in the Obi-Wan film. So they could kill two birds with one stone there.

Dra--- and Revenge of the Dak like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why isn't "none of the above" an option?[face_plain]

14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If they do decide to do a Yoda film, regardless of whether it's a conventional origin story or a slice of his life as it was centuries in the past, the key would be to emphasize the spiritual aspects of the universe, to reinfuse the character with more of the "spiritual Jedi Buddha" nature we both agree is his primary character archetype. It's the tone you would expect for a Yoda film, because the character's very function is to reveal the deeper, more mystical features of the universe he's in. From a Han Solo origin film, you'd expect the tone to be more flippant, sarcastic, and definitely more adrenaline-pumped, because that's right for the character; from a Yoda film, you expect the tone to be quite different.

It's also in that kind of a film that you can carry out a lot of the clean-ups that you would need in the post-PT world: the Force can be meditated on in such a film in such a way, perhaps, as to unify the OT-era conceptions of the Force with the PT-era conceptions of it (in other words, it's there that they ought to work on things like reconciling people to the more physical aspects such as midi-chlorians and yet keeping the spiritual and mystical aspects of the Force dominant in the discussion); the background of the Jedi Order can be explored in greater detail; in order to set up what Yoda knows about it in the PT, the Prophecy of the Chosen One can be discussed (perhaps we can actually learn what the hell it ever said). Such things may or may not be essential to telling the story of the Saga, but if one wants those things discussed in a way that makes them relevant to the characters of the Three Trilogies, a Yoda film would be the best place to do it.

15. Jedi Zaven'than

Jedi Zaven'than Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 12, 2013
    Quoted For Truth.

Yoda, IMHO, really does not need to be and shouldn't be explained.

I voted for Boba, because you really don't see much of him other then at 10 years old and he really doesn't get a lot of screen time before he falls into the Sarlacc in the OT so it would be interesting to see his character develop.

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I think you could combine several of the choices into single movies:

- Fett / Solo / Jaba / Lando
    - Plagueis / Palpatine / Qui-Gon / Dooku
    - Vader / Ben / Luke / Leia (Dark-times - separate stories, same movie)

Maul can be in all of them, because apparently he can live through anything.

Ryus, KED12345, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

Dra--- and Graphic like this.
  18. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Pfluegermeister Everything you said, yes, absolutely. Only thing I have to add is that it is also a great opportunity to show us a better period of the Old Republic, one that is not as corrupt and in decline as the PT one was. Set it 300-400 years before TPM and you can have a radically different background in every aspect. Something that would actually make us care more for the Republic and to ephasise why the Jedi had such high hopes for saving a system that was obviously not at it's best during The Clone Wars.

19. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Obi-Wan Kenobi, set between ROTS and ANH :D (and they could include Boba). After that, possibly young Han (and Lando) origin story. I am open to a Leia backstory though, showing how she ended up in the Senate and growing up in Alderaan. Could be interesting if done right, but same as with Han and Lando, casting would be key in getting it to work.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep - that's all reasonable... However, we're talking about a technological advanced society in both Star Wars and the EU. If you go back incrementally in our own history circa 1000 years by 1000 years you'll see that culture/society changes quite drastically be it in terms of technology, architecture, agriculture/farming techniques, art etc. etc. It's all science fiction/science fantasy of course... but for me I always find the general lack of retrograded culture/technology in EU stories to be less plausible than the lightsabres and spaceships they use... But that's just me... :/

Dra--- likes this.
  21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I can understand that, but I guess that in the end we tend to forget that it's basically space fantasy more than science fiction.
    Rules that make sense to use need not apply, hah. Science fiction is home to reasonable technological advancements over time, in fantasy universes things tend to stay the same for thousands of years because that's just the way things are :p

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Your avatar would like a word with you. :p

I voted for Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi. I agree with others who said that Boba Fett would be fine in another movie, but maybe not his own. And I also agree with others who said that Yoda shouldn't have his own because his mysterious origins are part of his appeal.

Vespasian likes this.
  23. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I voted for Obi-Wan, Boba Fett (both post RotS), Darth Sidious/Plagueis, Darth Maul (like Darth Archimage said, these last three can be consolidated into a single film), and Other---I would personally love a spinoff featuring Qui-Gon Jinn as a protagonist, and/or perhaps Dooku as well. A Vader spinoff could well be all but inevitable as well, and it could have the potential to be very interesting; Vader fighting off terrorists hell-bent on seeing the destruction of the Empire, and using reprehensible methods that even the Empire would shun. Add in a lot of political and military intrigue, and you can have an interesting movie!

An Obi-Wan spinoff I would absolutely love to see, especially regarding his time as a hermit in self-imposed exile on Tatooine. Perhaps a film loosely based off the recently released Kenobi novel? A space Western, if you will. We can also see some pirates, scoundrels, and bounty hunters in the film, perhaps even some familiar faces; Boba Fett, Bossk, Dengar, to name a few (they all showed up on Tatooine in the TCW episode Bounty). You can see the daily struggles of the moisture farmers as they try to eke out a living in the desert wastes while fending off vicious attacks by Tusken Raiders, and Obi-Wan caught in the middle, trying to reconcile his Jedi training of trying to help others as much as he can and keeping a low profile, so that he could avoid being discovered by the Empire.

I'd love to see a Boba Fett spinoff as well, set post-RotS, showing his early struggles and the path by which he becomes the galaxy's most feared and renowned bounty hunter. This can perhaps introduce us to the galaxy's seedy Underworld, like the concepts for Coruscant's 1313, and Nar Shaddaa, perhaps the most crime-infested world in the GFFA. While we know Boba survives the Sarlaac in the EU and even goes on to become Mand'alor, I think it might not be a good idea setting it after RotJ, as they would undoubtedly cause a lot of controversy (though I can personally buy that he could have escaped). Plus, a post-RotJ Fett movie could go like this:
    [​IMG]

I'd love a villain-centric spinoff film (outside of perhaps Vader), detailing the early life of Palpatine/Darth Sidious, and having Darth Plagueis as a key player, much like the novel of the same name. This film can also show Darth Maul's early life and brutal training regimen under Sidious. It can feature a large cast of characters, and perhaps even cover a couple of different time periods. I would love to see onscreen the various political machinations of the Sith and their attempts to bring their Grand Plan to fruition.

Finally, a spinoff film about Qui-Gon Jinn would be absolutely wonderful, and could feature a younger Dooku in a prominent position as a well-respected Jedi Master, before he became the villainous Count of Serenno we see in the films. We can perhaps see Qui-Gon as a headstrong apprentice, or perhaps a Jedi Knight traveling the galaxy meditating on the mysteries of the Force; perhaps show his attempts to train Jedi before meeting Obi-Wan, like the failed Jedi Xanatos, who turned to the Dark Side and eventually confronted Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

There are so many story possibilities that I would love to see in a spinoff/origin film!

Jedi Zaven'than and Dra--- like this.
  24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    kubricklynch likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love to see an Obi-Wan and Anakin adventure story set between TPM and AOTC. Maybe it could be about what they were doing on Ansion (I know there's a book about it and I've read it myself but they can throw it in the trash bin and create something new. :p) I would love to see a Qui-Gon movie that really explores his character and what makes him so different from the other Jedi of the era. I think an interesting idea is a Yoda film set a few hundred years after the Sith were thought to be extinct and have him investigating if they really are gone (maybe there's another reason why he warned the other council members that the Sith could return.)

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.