main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Nice impression but feels a bit flat and lacks some charisma. I'd much prefer someone who can bring the same attitude and charm as Ford rather than a mimic.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Routh is not an actor of the caliber deserving a leading role in a major motion picture. Now, one could certainly argue that the sci-fi/fantasy genre is not exactly known for great acting, but Routh was a complete nobody from nowhere, and then after Superman Returns, promptly went back to where he came from.

Perhaps a better analogy is the new Star Trek reboot. Those actors have barely any resemblance whatsoever to the original actors but with a little makeup, the right hair style and appropriate costuming, they became passable and let their abilities as actors do the rest. That is what I expect from the Star Wars spinoffs. The audience was forgiving because we understand that the original actors were about 40 years too old for the roles.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Routh did a better acting job than Henry did while playing Superman. How his career progressed after the movie doesn't mean he didn't deserve the role.

Chris Pine can hardly be called a good actor, and he certainly looks nothing like Shatner in any makeup, hair style, or costuming.

4. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I am using that as evidence to support the fact that he is not a talented actor. He was chosen for no other reason than his physical resemblance to Reeve, which I consider a bad decision.
    I think plenty of people would consider Chris Pine a good actor, certainly better than Routh. Pine has had many roles thus far in his career in a variety of genres, including a leading role in the action movie Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.

I agree he doesn't look like Shatner one bit. My whole point is that the Star Wars spinoffs don't need actors who closely resemble the originals because audiences are extremely forgiving when they recognize that you can't exactly have Harrison Ford playing 20 year old Han Solo anymore.

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah we need an ACTOR not an impersonator. What are they going to have Harrison Ford on the set every day, have him act out the scenes, then let that other guy go mimic it? No.....

Also I'm suprised we havn't gotten into the "Oh just CGI 70-year-old Harrison Ford to look like he's in his twenties!" stupidity yet. Usually whenever we discuss recasting Harrison, CGI somehow manages to rear its ugly head :p

T-R- and HanSolo29 like this.
  6. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Would anyway like to see a spin off of a young Count Dooku?

I think it would be interesting to see with him having a young apprentice in Qui-Gon.

T-R-, purplerain and darthjj88 like this.
  7. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Again, it's a different scenario. You are referring to a reboot. A reboot is exactly that, a do-over. In a reboot you have the freedom to make the characters how you see them. But if they were casting for a young Shatner, Pine would have never got the role. I believe the same holds true for Star Wars. If they were to reboot it then you can have anyone you want play Han Solo or any other character. But if you are casting a younger version (or older) of a character in your story, then you need someone who closely resembles the original actor. IMO

T-R- likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd say Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and especially Karl Urban are very similar to Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley, but I digress.

I think the Ford impersonator was quite spot on in terms of looks and even voice, and I do want that if they make a Han Solo "prequel". Of course, if it turns out the kid can't act worth a damn, then they shouldn't go for him. However, if he can act, why shouldn't they choose him? Because he's not already a star? Because that's the logic you seem to be presenting here. I haven't seen Superman Returns, but whether the guy who played Superman was famous before, or after, has nothing to do with anything. Some people here seem to think he did a great job - that's what counts.

After all, Harrison Ford was more or less a nobody when he was cast as Han Solo.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's not entirely a reboot though. It's an alternate reality that is split off from the prime universe because of the actions of Nero. Shatner's Kirk still exists in these new films just as Nimoy's Spock still exists. Pine is absolutely supposed to be playing the same person as Shatner did only in a different reality.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  10. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    The movie's storyline is such that they are supposed to be younger - but identical - versions of the characters we all know and love from the 60's. It was not a pure reboot, it is supposed to be the exact same characters, only existing in a different timeline.

For storytelling purposes, the characters are supposed to be physically identical to the originals. Movie audiences understand that that is impossible, so they accept the changes due to the sheer necessity of having new actors taking the roles.

11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Yes! I want Dooku to be somebody we care about when he shows up in AOTC. I believe that a movie showing Dooku becoming Tyranus is a must.

12. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's call it what it was. It was a reboot. The altered timeline was only so Abrams didn't break the hearts of every Trekkie on the planet. So now he is free for any story he wants. But for the sake of argument, Zachary Quinto did an excellent Leonard Nimoy "impersonation". Just saying

T-R- likes this.
  13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Just use puppets.

T-R- likes this.
  14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    And those same Trekkies accepted the fact that the new versions looked nothing like the originals despite the fact that they were supposed to be identical to the classic characters from the 60's - just like us Star Wars fans will judge the spin-offs based on the quality of the production with very little emphasis on the physical similarities between Harrison Ford (for example) and whatever new actor they cast.

Zachary Quinto did a great job as young Spock, but even that is primarily the product of hair, makeup and acting ability. It isn't like anyone said "gee, Zachary Quinto sure looks like a young Leonard Nimoy" prior to 2009.

15. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm referring to mannerisms and voice. With the Han Solo kid they called it impersonating, now with Spock you're calling it acting ability. Which is it? Anyone can be made to "look" like someone else. That's the easy part.

TigerCraneFist and T-R- like this.
  16. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    No, that's not the easy part. In fact, it is so difficult that they didn't even bother trying with the other 6 "main" characters, who didn't even carry a passing resemblance to the originals.

As for this guy with the Ford impersonation, I already admitted I have no idea whether or not he is a good actor. All I said was that when they cast a younger Star Wars character (be it Han Solo or someone else) I am sure they will be more focused on that individual's acting ability, and not so much with their ability to mimic lines from the OT. And fans will be understanding about that.

17. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014
    I agree, seeing the fall of Dooku would make the overall character more interesting.

purplerain likes this.
  18. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Yes it does, Which is one the reasons, I would like to watch a better animated version of the arc!

19. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014

It looked like cardboard cut outs running around on a green screen. It would be good to see a spin off film before ROTS where we get to see a lot of Grievous.

20. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    O h I agree 100%. A spin off film is preferable, but if they won't be doing that anytime soon, I would accept the animation version.

21. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014

Animated version would be best. There probably wouldn't be Mace Windu or Palpatine in a spin off film because they would be too old before filming shoots.

22. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    Agreed. I always secretly wanted them to end "The Clone Wars" how they started. With a feature animated film. Now that they actually know what they are doing, and what the fans wanted to see, it would be pretty cool!

23. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I'd enjoy that too, but I just don't see any of the (exclusively) PT characters getting a spin-off - at least not for a while. Those characters are simply nowhere near as well known or beloved as the originals.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    At this point about 3/4 of what is definitely canon in Star Wars takes place BBY. So I would prefer after Rebels to get back to the continuation of the story as opposed to the filling in the blanks part of the story. I obviously want to see connections and loose ends cleaned up, but as far as spin off films I'd like to see continuation stories. Like a tale from Tatooine or the undergrounds of Coruscant.

25. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Absolutely. Spin-offs are meant to sell to a wide audience, not just the fans. Expect to see Han, Boba, Obi-Wan etc, rather than Dooku or Grievous.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.