main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd think Bane is a lot more likely... primarily because there is a connection to the films (the rule of two) and I'd personally find the notion of going back that far in time, to Exar Kun, problematic (in terms of in universe logic) but that's just my opinion. :)

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This is the new interview discussing the spin offs for those who missed it on the previous page:

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

"The canon is the canon, and the canon is the six films that exist." Sounds good to me :)

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Don't forget Clone Wars and Rebels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Do not believe that. One bit. Is that all they apparently heard? Rubbish.

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah give Kinberg a call & remind him ;)

8. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I would be absolutely fine if TCW was not considered part of official canon.

Dewback and Beezer like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    posted this bit in a different thread anyway:

the standalone movies, I would highly encourage the filmmakers to yank at the format in several different ways, be it narrative or tone or visually, so make them distinctive from the "Episodes". We're starting to see this in Marvel, each of the "Phase 2" movies have had their own distinct vibe and you can slot Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America into different genres (Noir detective thriller, Space Odyssey, and Political Thriller, respectively) when I think you can say the "Phase 1" movies have a more uniform style across all of them. For me, I would hope that the Star Wars standalones don't try to hard to be Star Wars but be their own little genre experiments in the Star Wars world (I thought Clone Wars in it's last 4 seasons or so did a bang-up job of that, basically trying on different genres for each arc.)

Immortiss, Ryus, RobShanti and 3 others like this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There is only a slim chance of a spin off in DEC 2016 otherwise May / Dec 2017 leaving EP8 for May 2018.......

11. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I voted for Han, Jabba, Boba, Yoda, and Other.

With Other being the ultimate Max Rebo spinoff film.

purplerain likes this.
  12. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Oh by all the gods, yes!!!

13. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Make it a trilogy.

Get on it Disney! NAOW!

purplerain likes this.
  14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    [face_laugh]
    Welcome to the boards, Doop!

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth Doop like this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Tell that to Pablo Hidalgo :p

16. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks, it's great to have a place where I can discuss SW with people who get my references :D

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  17. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Solo, of course :cool:

18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    If it's correct that the spin-offs are origin stories, that narrows it down a lot. We already know a lot about the origins of Boba Fett, Leia, and Maul. Going back to the timeframe where young Obi-Wan trains with Dooku and young Palpatine trains with Plagueis (?) gives us a lot of characters who can't be put in jeopardy. I don't really want to see Jabba or Yoda carry a whole movie.

That leaves Han and Lando, who I think make a whole lot of sense. One of the inspirations for A New Hope was Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, which involves two peasants helping/guiding some VIPs without being all that aware of what's going on. Supposedly, this all helped spark the creation of Obi-Wan and Leia as the VIPs and R2-D2 and C-3PO as the peasants (I think?).

When Han and Lando are taking their first steps down the road to scoundrel-dom in the pre-Rebels era, there would still be many fugitive samurai Jedi running around the galaxy. Maybe even Obi-Wan and Yoda have yet to settle down on full-time guard duty and are busy trying to get their colleagues to safety. You could have a young, street-smart Han and Lando being used as guides, pilots or cover by the Jedi in disguise. Who could a Force user on the run trust more than someone who doesn't even believe in the Force? When the kids aren't looking, the Jedi can go off and get killed by Vader or whatever Jedi do in this time; when the Jedi aren't looking, Han and Lando help more than anyone was expecting.

19. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I want to see a Solo stand alone film. In your idea does Han know they're Jedi and witness any of their feats? Cos if he does then it kind of contracdicts some of his lines in ANH:

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

20. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

No, no! In my mind, it totally plays into those lines. Han starts to suspect the Jedi have mystical powers, so they stage some botched sleight-of-hand to throw him off the track. The Jedi keep him thinking he's seeing "strange stuff" and "simple tricks and nonsense" so he can better cover for them without even knowing it. You would even have a blaster-defeats-lightsaber moment that plays into Han's opinions of hokey religions and ancient weapons.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Pablo who? Kinberg is creative consultant for Ep7 & writer of the spin offs. Pablo's the guy who gets him a coffee ;)

22. solo77

Aug 28, 2002

rdhight said:
    No, no! In my mind, it totally plays into those lines. Han starts to suspect the Jedi have mystical powers, so they stage some botched sleight-of-hand to throw him off the track. The Jedi keep him thinking he's seeing "strange stuff" and "simple tricks and nonsense" so he can better cover for them without even knowing it. You would even have a blaster-defeats-lightsaber moment that plays into Han's opinions of hokey religions and ancient weapons.​

Sounds plausible, actually that sounds quite good. The jedi coudn't be old though :​

"Where did you dig up that old fossil"

;)

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If they are doing a Boba Fett origins movie, does that officially kill the Underworld TV show which was supposed to be doing the same thing?

I find it ridiculous they think it's hard to make Boba a good guy. Fett works for whoever pays him money, so if that is the Rebel Alliance that makes him a good guy until the Empire comes along. I know Boba has principles which is why he tends to work for the bad guys (legit administration, Rebels are therefore terrorists and usurpers). But he also has a sense of justice & there are some guys so bad even Jabba wants them got rid of, Fett is the go to guy in those situations.

As for PG-13, why would that be a problem? Only one of the movies even has a rating that high, a Fett movie should be any more violent than ROTS.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Bad" in this case may simply mean "Has not paid Jabba money owed".

That said - in the EU - Boba's "sense of justice" is much more overt than in the movies.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't care that much for how Boba is depicted in some of the EU books, but as a mercenary he can be on whatever side you want really. So I don't see why that is a big problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.