main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

spinoff movies will confuse casual viewers?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by OldTimeFan, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    its funny cause i knew months ahead of ROTJ about the second death star and the only way you could be 'hanging out on the net' back then would be if you got caught in one with the dolphins.

2. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I imagine Lucasfilm will have a pretty good media ramp-up right before the film comes out that will assist in informing audiences where this movie takes place.

Personally, I thought it was silly to not emphasize the "Episode VII" subtitle of TFA in marketing and promotion. Considering these "spin-off" films are being marketed as "A Star Wars Story," you would have thought they'd use the "Episode" subtitles to easily brand the main "saga" films.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Me too. But that's because most of my friends are Bothans.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    ok.
    SW has always had a pretty diverse and wide target audience.
    yes, there will be confused people, because not everyone stays up to date with everything.
    however, its really not hard to clear up what these anthologies are. theres even cues that could make the viewer answer it themselves (A Star Wars Story, for one).
    really, its extreme casuals, new/YOUNG/and maybe even elderly that dont understand - this is an extremely small minority though, so why should a) we care (as SW fans, knowing that its a sentence away from complete non-confusion and understanding)? and b) Disney care (considering itll make millions anyway)?

A: it doesnt matter. its not really even something we can discuss. a simple sentence to clear up anything that isnt understood properly. as another user wrote, a 7 year old was able to understand it...
    and if someone CANNOT UNDERSTAND IT, this movie just isnt for them.

5. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    um well the opening crawl to TFA says episode 7..........maybe if we have an opening crawl for r1 it should say 'episode 3.5'

the most confusion i ever get about this movie from casuals/non fans is 'when does this take place?" which is instantly a clue that they know its not episode 8...they just arent sure when it is or what the plot is exactly. doesnt take long to fill them in.

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Casual audiences aren't necessarily dumb. They simply don't focus on Star Wars every ****ing day. They may be interested in eventually seeing the film in December, but that doesn't mean they're going to prioritize Rogue One google-fu four months out. A week or so before the film hits, if they still don't know and they plan on seeing it, they'll do some googling. And by release day, everyone will know what they're in for.

DarthCricketer and Artoo-Dion like this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Or exactly how my non-fan wife found out -

"When's this one set?" Wife
    "Just before the original" Me
    "Is Chewy going to be in this one?" Wife
    "No" Me

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.