Saga Spirit Warriors of Angharad *COMPLETE* Link to MS Word version available 8/4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ophelia, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Shadowolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    The last two story posts were wonderful! The way Matreya fell into Obi-Wan's arms with little thought to who was around, that just brought a smile to my face. I must admit I'm curious if Anakin noticed how different things were between Obi-Wan and her.

Obi-Wan talking with Yoda fit perfectly! I wonder just what Yoda will be talking to Obi-Wan about...going outside thier mandate, the dead Sith apprentice or the major bending of the code with Matreya...there's so much to choose from! :)
  2. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    Aww... no more explosions? :(

Oh, well. At least it looks like all the good guys are getting out of this alive. ;) If Obi plays his cards right, he might be able to get more than just 'out'. [face_devil]
  3. lvk1978 Jedi Knight

star 3
    What??!!?!1? :eek: Why wasn't I informed? :confused: Aren't we going to be at least informed that Mace has opened an extra large can of whup-@$$ on the remaining troops?

I, too, enjoy your depiction of the relationship between Yoda and Obi-Wan. I always thought there was a special relationship between the two and your little interaction between the two only reinforces my feelings.

Although I shall miss Xplozhuns and such, teh courtly drama has its own amusements. Let's see how it all ends, shall we?
  4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    This is the first time I've seen Ophelia write anyone getting medeival on someone else's hiney.
  5. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Wait--are we talking about The Most Violent Scene In the Novel, or are we still talking about Yoda here? The little guy's not *that* mad. :p I think he's more concerned that Obi-Wan's getting uncharacteristically fast and loose with the Jedi Code, and wants to make sure he hasn't lost it way out there in the boonies. Of course, the older Obi-Wan gets, the more of the Code he seems to think of as emergency TP material, but that's as may be. :p

This is short--sorry. :( Life got busy today, and unfortunately it made me get busy along with it.

Once the little holo image had vanished, Obi-Wan handed Anakin?s holopad back to him, and the boy stashed it away in one of his pouches again. ?Do you think he was upset?? Mastreya asked, looking up at Obi-Wan. Surely, Master Yoda couldn?t know that she and Obi-Wan had . . . ? How psychic did powerful Jedi get, anyway? With that question in mind, she glanced up toward where Anakin sat on his impossibly small perch. The boy wasn?t paying attention to them; rather the contrary. He looked as if he were trying very hard not to notice anything they did. Despite?or maybe even because of?Anakin?s passionate nature, the boy seemed repelled by the idea of his Master being involved in any sort of intimate relationship.

Obi-Wan appeared to be studiously ignoring the fact that Anakin was ignoring him. Matreya recalled that there was no privacy to speak of in a Jedi community, and that a good part of a Jedi youth?s social education consisted of learning what to pretend not to see. The fact that there were so *many* Jedi packed into the little shuttle suddenly left her feeling embarrassed and exposed, as if both her clothing and her skin had turned transparent.

?Relax,? Obi-Wan said, putting a protective arm around her shoulders again. ?Master Yoda isn?t deeply displeased. If he were, you wouldn?t have to guess about it. He?s not a being who?s reluctant to express his opinions.?

The 900-year-old Jedi Master might be immune to others? reactions to him, but Matreya wasn?t, and she didn?t dare lean into Obi-Wan?s embrace again?not with so many Jedi there, *watching.* Obi-Wan must?ve noticed how anxious she was, because he leaned over and spoke softly, so that the roar of the engines would drown out his words for anyone but her. ?There?s no dishonor in caring for someone. Love based on passion is forbidden, because it leads to jealousy and possessiveness. Love based on devotion, which is the desire to please through service, is the essence of what it means to be a Jedi. Or so my old heretic of a Master told *me,*? he said.

She couldn?t help smiling at that, and after a moment she settled back somewhat cautiously into Obi-Wan?s embrace. It was all well and good for him to say reassuring things, but knowing that she was being watched, especially *psychically* watched, still left her feeling embarrassed and uneasy. Obi-Wan sighed, and at first she thought he was expressing sorrow because he believed she wasn?t comfortable touching him?which wasn?t actually true. He quickly allayed her guilt, however, by saying: ?I would never want to try and possess you . . . not only because the Order doesn?t allow it, but because it would make you wretched. I could take no pleasure in anything that caused you to suffer. Rather I--? he hesitated a moment, as if feeling awkward and shy about mentioning things that proper Jedi generally did not discuss. After a few seconds of what probably felt like excruciating silence to him, he seemed ready to cut his losses and said simply, ?I?m at your service, my lady. At any time I possibly can be.?

End 397/?
  6. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Love based on devotion, which is the desire to please through service, is the essence of what it means to be a Jedi. Or so my old heretic of a Master told *me,*? he said.

HEEHEE!
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Heresy! Why has no one posted here?
  8. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    I think they may have gotten lives. [face_worried] That, or they're so disgusted by my inability to post decent author replies that they're not posting feedback anymore.

I really can't believe how much of my time the focus groups are gobbling up. It's actually gotten to the point where I spend more time on that than on my fanfic novel--and I spend way too much time on this.

Oy . . . I'll write good replies & get everything done sooner or later, I swear it. 8-}

She could only look at him, touched by his halting sincerity, and more in love with him than she had any right to be.

Anakin, by contrast, seemed to have had enough of all this, and slid off his perch to go stalk over to a different corner. Upset at the thought that she?d driven him off, Matreya was about to call out to him, but Obi-Wan held his hand up and said, ?Let him be. He may need some time by himself to think.? The boy looked more as if he were sulking?sitting scrunched up in a tiny patch of floor with his head bowed and his wrists resting on his knees. Obi-Wan looked at his Padawan with weary compassion for a while, but when Anakin glanced up and glared at him, the Master Jedi turned his gaze away.

?He . . . struggles with emotional attachments,? Obi-Wan said. There was a note of regret in his voice, as if he felt Anakin?s troubles were somehow his fault. He continued almost apologetically: ?He knows that Jedi love. He knows that I--? It seemed to her that he came right up to the edge of confessing his love for Anakin, but then shied away at the last moment. ?Anyway,? he continued, seeming to settle back into something closer to staid Jedi dignity, ?He wants love as it is among non-Jedi. It?s what he grew up with . . . living with his mother. Honestly, I think he hates me sometimes, because I can?t give him the same thing.

?I?d die in his place without a second thought, and feel grateful for the opportunity to make the trade--but that?s Jedi love. It?s not what he wants. I *think* what he wants is to be at the center of someone?s life, the way he was with his mother. I?m not actually sure,? he admitted ruefully. ?I don?t remember non-Jedi love very well.?

Matreya tried to recall if she?d ever been at the center of someone?s life. Her nurse had loved her like a daughter, but there had still always been a difference. Her nurse was not actually her mother?she had been in the employ of her parents, and the two of them were destined to live very different lives. Matreya?s contact with the woman had been cut off abruptly when she was twelve and left to live in her parents? house. No contact was allowed after that. This sort of thing was deemed the best way to teach a child that his or her loyalties ought to lie with the family and not with outsiders. Matreya had no idea where the woman who had raised her even was. ?I don?t remember non-Jedi love very well either,? she confessed. Anakin wasn?t the only person she?d ever heard of who found Jedi emotional connections to be inferior to other kinds, but they looked pretty good to her.

Obi-Wan pulled her a little closer, and she allowed her head to fall sideways until it rested against his. The thrumming of the engines was hypnotic, and the warmth of the densely-packed bodies in the shuttle went to work upon her and made her sleepy. No sooner than her eyes had fallen shut, however, than the image of Perahta, dead and lying between her and the med tent door, returned to her, clear and unbidden. It caused her to jolt wide-awake in alarm. ?Easy,? Obi-Wan soothed, ?easy, now. Are you seeing things when you try to sleep?? he asked, with quiet compassion. She nodded, feeling the burning prickle of tears in her eyes. ?That happens to a lot of people,? Obi-Wan told her. ?It?s nasty, but it?s not dangerous. The pictures in your mind can?t hurt you.?

He sounded like a man who had a lot of experience with alarming mental pictures. His words did little to console her, however. ?It?ll never be over, because it can ne
  9. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    You're making me feel more and more sorry for little Ani. :_|

Wonderful as usual. Obi-Wan's dry humour too. Trust the man to come up with a witty remark. :D

As for Focus Groups... :) S'ok, we know.

10. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    : Then, of course, I couldn?t find him in the engine room, and I was thinking, ?Oh, Force . . . I?ve gone and lost the Chosen One. What do I tell the Council now??

[face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

Interesting look back at Anakin's first killing. Of course, it's a bit sad that something like that has to be qualified with 'first'.
  11. lvk1978 Jedi Knight

star 3
    ?You?ll be all right,? he said again.

OMG! How could I not be all right with that gorgeous semi-useless hand stroking me ever-so-gently?

For the first time in a long time, I had a life this past weekend (YAY! for World Champion San Antonio Spurs!) so no computer time. BUT I had two wonderful posts to read this morning so YAY! for yummy delicious chapters!

Surely, Master Yoda couldn?t know that she and Obi-Wan had . . . ?

?The horizontal mambo have you done, hmmmm?? Yoda, you rock, you small green do0d, you! One of the greatest obstacles for SW writers of all kinds, in my mind, is the assignment of Force powers. Can Jedi do this, can they do that? Need an amniocentesis? Don?t bother, Obi-Wan is here! HTG! I think you?ve done a terrific job in letting us know that Jedi are extraordinary beings without going beyond the pale. At least you haven?t pissed me off yet.

I?d love to know what?s going on with Ani. Is he jealous of Matreya temporarily usurping his position at his master?s side? Is he jealous of not getting that (what I assume must be) my-t-fine Obi-Wan lurve? Is he jealous that Obi-Wan got some and he didn?t and wouldn?t for quite some time? Is he upset that he?s not getting his props for killing the dastardly and evil Darth RocketJSquirrel? Or is he just being a normal teenager? :p Methinks someone needs serious face time with Daddy! ;)

And, okay, how cool are these lines?:

?There?s no dishonor in caring for someone. Love based on passion is forbidden, because it leads to jealousy and possessiveness. Love based on devotion, which is the desire to please through service, is the essence of what it means to be a Jedi. Or so my old heretic of a Master told *me,*? he said.

I?m with Ish, tee-hee! That is so vintage Force Hippie. You rock, Ophelia!

He continued almost apologetically: ?He knows that Jedi love. He knows that I--? It seemed to her that he came right up to the edge of confessing his love for Anakin, but then shied away at the last moment.

Oh, man! I think it?s terrible that he can?t say it ? even to a person to whom he?s poured his heart out to on other deeply personal matters. Oh well, as Mick once crooned, ?You can?t always get what you want,?. At least GL allowed Obi-Wan to say it at the bitter end.

Great chapter and chaplet, Ophelia. I can?t believe it?ll all be over in another three months. :_| :p ;)
  12. Shadowolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    <fan-girl>Oh Obi-Wan</fan-girl>

That man's declarations of love, while not being exactly traditional are so heart-felt and sincere that they simply make me melt!
  13. Shadowolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    ?He . . . struggles with emotional attachments,? Obi-Wan said. There was a note of regret in his voice, as if he felt Anakin?s troubles were somehow his fault. He continued almost apologetically: ?He knows that Jedi love. He knows that I--? It seemed to her that he came right up to the edge of confessing his love for Anakin, but then shied away at the last moment. ?Anyway,? he continued, seeming to settle back into something closer to staid Jedi dignity, ?He wants love as it is among non-Jedi. It?s what he grew up with . . . living with his mother. Honestly, I think he hates me sometimes, because I can?t give him the same thing.

Obi-Wan understands Anakin more than I think "Ani" will ever realize. That's very insightful, just how much Obi-Wan loves the boy and the stupid nerfherder just doesn't get it.

?Oh, Force . . . I?ve gone and lost the Chosen One. What do I tell the Council now??
    [face_laugh] His thought process just cracks me up! But the story he's telling makes my heart go out to Anakin, man...no kid should have to go through something like that!
  14. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I hadn't remembered the full details of that, so kept having pics of Anakin in mickey mouse shorts with a machine gun giggling.

As you can see, he?s now . . .? Suddenly it appeared to occur to him that Anakin was not acting in a way anyone was likely to find reassuring, and he finished with a bit of embarrassment: ?moody and uncommunicative.?
  15. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Sorry about yesterday . . . I thought I had a life for a short while. Thank goodness I've come to my senses and realized the truth today.

Also--I like your name in blue, Ish. Since I'm temporarily red, we could play Star Wars and stuff.

My Jedi powers are far beyond yours. Now, back down.

:p

As the face of Angharad that contained the whitened scar of the Akitláns began rotating away from its system?s sun, Anakin badgered Master Yoda into letting him go down to the planet one more time to fly as many of the villagers as he could locate back to their homes. He didn?t like to think of them stuck out all night on the battlefield, and besides, it got him out of the medical frigate and into a cockpit.

There were relief stations being set up all over the former battlefield and the more accessible parts of the mountains, but Anakin knew that the true mountain people wouldn?t want to stay there. They?d fought a war against impossible odds in order to save their homes and their holy land. He didn?t know how much of Nidawi or any of the other mountain villages would be left after the pummeling the Vipers had given the mountainside, but trying to return people to their sherqa herds and little terraced gardens seemed the decent thing to do. Mountain tigers roamed the heights at night, and would destroy the livestock that was the people?s livelihood if no one was there on guard.

Anakin had asked Yoda rather than Obi-Wan for permission to go because Obi-Wan wasn?t really in any position to answer. He?d been seen to by the droid and sentient staff of the medical frigate Luminus, and they?d decided to operate on his leg again. He?d been sleeping the blissfully-unaware sleep of the anaesthetized, with Lady Bedegraine at his side, when Anakin left.

The young Jedi had mixed feelings about the ?situation? between his Master and Lady Bedegraine. Obviously, Obi-Wan liked her, and she liked him back. You didn?t have to be Force-sensitive to see that. They weren?t even really trying to hide it, for all that they didn?t do anything in public that would scandalize a proper Jedi. On the one hand, it was nice that his Master had found somebody he cared about and who cared about him. If nothing else, maybe he?d nag Anakin less about Padmé now. However, for reasons that he had a hard time articulating, Obi-Wan and Matreya?s relationship also bothered him. Maybe it was because, at least for a short time, the two of them had one another, while Anakin was alone. It didn?t help to remember that his beloved Padmé probably still thought of him as a funny little boy in ratty clothes who liked to play with machines.

However, probably the worst part was knowing that, at least apparently, Obi-Wan and Matreya could be happy with what they had. Obi-Wan would be sad to see her go, and the wiser, more compassionate part of Anakin made a mental note to make some allowances for his Master in the days ahead. The boy certainly knew what it was like to grieve and miss somebody you loved. His situation was still different from Obi-Wan?s, though. Obi-Wan would never be tortured by his commitment to remain a Jedi, or doubt that he?d followed the right path in life. It was odd how he could be so committed to non-attachment, and yet still be a man who loved?loved deeply, sometimes. Not all Jedi could do that, and Anakin was glad he hadn?t gotten one of those Jedi as a Master. The trick to love and non-attachment, as Obi-Wan explained it, was to be good at letting go of things. If the galaxy let him let him have something precious and beautiful for a little while, he would consider it a wonderful, unlooked-for gift, and only mourn its passing the way one mourned the passing of summer. The man really, truly believed that he owned nothing, had rights to nothing, and so every small pleasure that turned up was a kind of everyday miracle.

As an ex-slave, Anakin ought to have felt like that, but he didn?t. He wanted more than to live at the whims
  16. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh... long post! :D

I like your depiction of the family reunion, despite the worry beforehand that there might not be one.

: Obi-Wan would never be tortured by his commitment to remain a Jedi

*pfft* He fails to see the point of this novel! I thought he was tortured for it quite well, actually.
  17. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Oh, I love you for having written Hoel's family as surviving. I had a gut-wrenching few minutes waiting to find out and nearly cried. And that line about "I'm the dark knight" and seeking out kids had me creeped out. Now, I'm off to write Kemé again.
  18. Shadowolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    Let me echo the others in that I'm so glad Hoel's family survived! The way Anakin greeted them, and recognized thier discomfort was good, he was impulsive, but perceptive enough to realize how he made them a bit nervous.

His thoughts about Obi-Wan were right on, he does accept everything as a gift and enjoys it while he can then let's go. Would have been an excellent lesson for Anakin to learn. To bad he seemed to skip that one.
  19. sentinel75 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really liked your take on Kenobi's overall mindset: "The trick to love and non-attachment, as Obi-Wan explained it, was to be good at letting go of things. If the galaxy let him let him have something precious and beautiful for a little while, he would consider it a wonderful, unlooked-for gift, and only mourn its passing the way one mourned the passing of summer. The man really, truly believed that he owned nothing, had rights to nothing, and so every small pleasure that turned up was a kind of everyday miracle." That sounds like a good mindset to have - you can be pleased about everything and disappointed at nothing.

Thanks for the post. It's been pissing down in Sydney for the last week-and-a-bit and while it's good out west to break the frakking drought, it's really starting to feel like winter weather - which I really, really don't like. The story cheered me up, and it also got my mind off War of the Worlds, which I saw last night. Damn, that's one awesome horror movie...
  20. Exeter Force Ghost

star 4
    Not bad, if I do say so myself (and I do). Excellent work.
  21. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I think they may have gotten lives. worried That, or they're so disgusted by my inability to post decent author replies that they're not posting feedback anymore.

What about shocked almost into tears at that last, wonderful post? And shocked wordless, you know... since it's 12:30 [face_worried]

Well, FWIW, I just need to catch up because of being out of town and working and all. I haven't really had much time lately... ok, so I did have some time to play Sims 2 tonight, but I only did because Obi-Wan and Matreya were having their baby, a little girl named Ophelia with her father's eyes and her mother's hair, who apparently turns usually serious Obi-Wan to mush :)

Maybe I should stop talking before someone gets really scared...

-sj loves kevin spacey
  22. Exeter Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe I should stop talking before someone gets really scared...

I'm fairly certain that it's too late for any of us. :p
  23. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Awww, what a cute idea. Must...kill it...before it...takes over...
  24. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Okay, sj, that does scare me, but I'm strangely touched at the same time. :p I promise I'll reply to the long post you were so generous with your time in writing . . . I'm just trying to finish this silly thing, and find a job, and focus in the focus group about . . . something.

And thank you, Arin . . . yep, the Long Dark Night of the Teacher Certification Process is finally over. :D

There were beginnings, and there were endings?that was the way of the Force. No despot could control a planet forever, and no people could be indefinitely oppressed.

Injustice wasn?t the only thing that had limits, however. Daylight faded, the balmy green of summer cooled, and sooner or later dear companions met along the road were forced to take a different turning. The Force?s universal order allowed for joyous meetings and pleasant journeys, but always, eventually, it became time to say goodbye.

Obi-Wan walked slowly with Matreya toward the Luminus? shuttle dock, where she would board a transport bound for the ship that would take her back to Coruscant. Not to Kirillos?she?d been clear on that. She wanted to return to Freespace?s headquarters, where people knew her and cared about her. They would be the ones who would help her separate from her husband and her past. Obi-Wan, by contrast, could be little more than a specter to her?a living ghost with no substantive presence. The most treacherous thing about such a ghost was that it could seize and hold a place better occupied by a warm, solid human being.

Obi-Wan didn?t want that for her. Matreya seemed to think that she might want such a thing for herself, but Obi-Wan thought that would probably fade as she returned to her real life?or perhaps more accurately, entered real life for the first time. Only a woman who?d been married to a cipher since she was a young girl could look at a ghost and consider him a better choice.

He was human enough to want her to love him, of course . . . Force knew his love for her wasn?t going to wear off. Love never did, for him. Its nature might change over time, but once he?d come to love someone, it was permanent. For that reason, he?d learned young to dole out love as cautiously as he could. When love took root in him, he was stuck with it.

It *should* have been impossible for him to form such a bond with someone in so short a time . . . but then, it should have been impossible for a twenty-five-year-old Padawan learner to be knighted and assigned the Chosen One as a student all in one day, just as it should have been impossible for a double-talking hypocrite like Supreme Chancellor Palpatine to stay in office for seven very long years. ?Should? had never really seemed to carry as much weight in Obi-Wan?s life as it did in others?, though. Either the Force had marked him out for some unusual destiny, or it hated him. Honestly, at times it was difficult to tell.

Obi-Wan and Matreya took their time as they walked down the sterile, identical-seeming corridors, but a desire to delay the inevitable separation was only part of the reason. Obi-Wan also had a mechanical support on his leg, and that slowed him down. The support was an odd combination of metal cage and something rather like flimsy, form-fitting duraplast armor. It strapped on over his trouser leg, and served the primary purpose of annoying the blazes out of him.

He couldn?t stop fidgeting with the ?armor? part, which continually seemed to be too tight or too loose, too high or too low, and was always just plain irritating. When Matreya caught him wrenching at the thing?s straps again, she said, ?Stop that. You?ve got a wound dressing under there.?

?Yes, I noticed,? he said dryly. ?That?s the problem.? He then proceeded to repeatedly pull at the fastenings while mumbling to himself, ?. . . the most uncomfortable thing I?ve ever worn in my life . . .?

?Does it hurt you?? she asked, stopping their progress down the hall for a moment. She looked up at him with concern in her hazel eyes.
  25. Shadowolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow.

Really what more is there to say?

Obi-Wan & Matreya's parting was so well done! I mean these two people love each other so much, and it is so apparent, but at the same time thier duty is just as important and effects so many more people that it has to take precedence. The difficulty Obi-Wan has in being ok with that, yet still able to let her go is such a good indicator of his character. The needs of the many and all that.

And congrats on your certification! You've worked so hard for it!

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.