main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Splinters (J/J, post-Dark Nest Trilogy novella) - Long neglected Replies 12/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    I can't wait to see the continuation of this epilogue! All the ends to tie up. =P~

=D=

And best line ever!

It was the only link to a truth she had left in the Unknown Regions. A link she coveted beyond reason. Small and unassuming, it was a perfect reflection of the life Jaina wanted and needed, a reminder of all the reasons why she must succeed. And it was hers alone.
    Shutting her eyes, Jaina felt the smooth edges and the perfect symmetry of her engagement ring, and smiled.

Melting puddle of mush... that would be me. [face_love]

2. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Wow. Again.

When I read your work, I always have a clear picture of time and place and character and emotions. This Epilogue is no exception.

Of course, then there are the questions you leave behind.

You always seem to find just the right balance...beautiful!

oldj

3. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    Awesome! I think Jaina's found herself now.

So sad! I don't know what you're planning, but I really hope the twins make up.

You rock! Great post! Can't wait for more.

Janet

P.S. Congrats on the awards!

4. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Awww! Go, Jaina!

That was a wonderful tie-in to current canon events. I'm so very happy she went to Dagobah after all... if only because she's found her own peace.

I love Han and Leia so much... I think that, besides Jaina and Jag, they are my favorite characters to see you write.

So. Lovely story. Enjoyed it very much. Write more when you're ready.

End transmission. :p

5. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Standing just outside the enormous room?s threshold, Jaina pondered the enormity of her next steps. It was only two short strides, but they were a path from which there was no return. The enormity of that truth weighed heavily in her soul. Tomorrow she would not be the person she was today.
    [face_devil] I knew you were gonna get people going that this was a wedding. [face_mischief] You?re so evil! [face_dancing]

She was, without a doubt, an outsider.
    This part of the post was so sad and frustrating. In just a few short years, the Jedi have really lost their way. Jaina, who during the NJO did everything right and everything she was asked, is now the outcast. [face_not_talking] Compounded by the fact that Luke and the others are too blind to see the rightness of her actions during DN. [face_shame_on_you] In some ways this must be how her grandfather felt at times about the old Order ? isolated from those he respects and loves because they cannot see the flaws in their own certainties? :(

His wife?s reaction to her arrival was somewhat less guarded; Jaina felt it through the Force. Shock. Anger. Rejection.
    Mara? :mad: Interesting that this is from Jaina?s POV, though, because that puts her personal perceptions into the scene. Perhaps the reality is that Mara?s opinions aren?t quite so harsh, but Jaina cannot help but read more disappointment and distress into her former master?s feelings as compared to, say, Luke?s. [face_thinking]

Jaina?s brother was as inscrutable as ever. His dark eyes met hers, then locked as if peering through a targeting reticule. Jaina had been in the sights of too many good shots to panic, though. Unblinking, she returned his stare. Finally he smiled, just a sliver of an upturn at the corner of his mouth. Like their father, but not quite.
    Jacen is one scary dude now. [face_worried] Great connection to TSW and Betrayal in the way there are subtle hints and cues of his path, but most of those around him aren?t putting them together yet. :oops: Except Jaina, of course. :D

Luke had chosen a path for the Jedi she could no longer follow, but follow she would until she had the opportunity to shed light upon the shadows cast among her peers. To do that, she would have to confront the source
    I really, really hope this the path canon has set for Jaina, as well. [face_praying] I think you?ve connected the strands of DN and Betrayal in a way that makes perfect sense. I wouldn?t be surprised at all if down the line, LOTF reveals that Jaina has ?caught on? to Jacen much longer than others, but also has known she can?t confront or expose him because her allegation wouldn?t (yet) be believed. :cool:

Yeah, it?ll probably be in a Denning book. He already ?borrowed? the Artoo/Padmé idea from Echoes. ;)

?I believe all Jedi were summoned.?
    Zing! [face_mischief]

?Your old man isn?t through hugging you quite yet.?
    That hadn?t been Jaina?s point. She gasped for air under the crushing strength of his arms, flapping her hands at Leia. But the message was lost, and no intervention came. Finally Jaina managed to wheeze, ?Cahht eathe.?

:p Great family moment. =D=

She looked to her father. ?And so is the Falcon.?
    His whole demeanor lifted as though a huge load had been taken from his shoulders, and his smile blossomed. He dismissed her assurance with a wave of his hand. ?I wasn?t worried.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh, Han. You are soooooo busted! [face_laugh]

Suddenly Jaina realized the cause of her mother?s consternation. She didn?t know.
    Well, how would she, Jaina? :oops: Another great little POV moment there, Jaina forgetting that since she didn?t contact them to let them know, there?s no particular reason anyone else would have, either.

She in turn looked to her father and mother. They hadn?t told Jacen. That was definitely a piece of information to consider much further.
    Very interesting, indeed. [face_thinking] o_O [face_whistling]

?My little girl, come and gone so quickly.?
    [face_love] You write Han so well. S

6. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    I said I wanted to come read through it when it was all done... and it appears I came in one post early... but I had a lot to catch up on.... so there's my justification. :p

TKL, this is absolutely beautiful. I had to admit there were times when I wondered if I was in a flashback or not and when the flashback was and the like, but I think that just kept up the tumultuousness of the story.

You didn't make it easy for the two of them at all and that's part of what was great about this story and made it so believable. Your awards for this were well-deserved.

I just read so much that I have too many specifics to comment on, but I will say I think the last post before the epilogue was my favorite... it was sweet and tied things together well, but not too neatly, of course. Although the end of the first part of the epilogue was pretty cool too. It sets things up and is foreboding but has that sweet moment of hope at the end. I could see that being a closing shot of a film, but of course will glady take what you've written for after that. And the fact that you've managed to tie it in to the books speaks volumes to your ability to see the whole big picture of your stories. It always seems in your writings that you have a good idea of where you are going, but are open to any muses that pop up along the way. And as a reader, its always nice to feel that your author's a good driver and is doing everything for a reason, even if they decide to take the characters on some small detours along the way.

TKL, making coping with canon a bit easier since...

How long have you been doing this?

7. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Great update!

I really liked your interpretation of Jaina's mission as the Sword of the Jedi-- I think that it makes a lot of sense. She's going to have to stand strong no matter what those around her are doing (or wanting her to do)

On Dagobah she will be able to nurture her strength in the Force-- away from prying eyes. I wonder if there will be any assistance from a Force Ghost?

I'm looking forward to next wednesday!

jcs

and I really need to get my hands on a copy of Betrayal soon....

8. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    As usual, an amazing job.

I also loved your interpretation of Jaina's "sword of the jedi" title also her thoughts about things.

You technically could end it just like that and it would be fine but I'm so glad that you're not. You've done an awsome job through and through this. I'm looking foward to the very last part.

9. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Absolutely great, as usual. I loved how well she held herself in the Jedi meeting. And your description of the interaction between Jaina and Jacen was perfect, IMO. She puts on the perfect face, perfect attitude, knowing that she must move through some murky waters before she can make progress. And I LOVED the way she hides her ring ? AND THAT THEIR ENGAGED!!! Wahoo!

Great update.

Oh, and Solo_and_Fel, I absolutely LOVED your comment:

=D=[face_laugh]=D=

Voz

10. Aniakera

Aniakera Jedi Master star 1

Aug 20, 2005
    I will tell you this, I will be keeping in the tradition of flashbacks. Not sure if this is the flashback or present

:oops: Where is that :headbanging: emoticon?!

11. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Good Morning!

Back from the trip *flops down exhausted*

I'm going to start replies, but preface it with a note. The end of the story will be a little delayed. Not sure how many days. The trip was wonderful but exhausting and I came home to a sick dog and inlaws abounding. And a huge backlog at work. So I need to buckle down on DRL. Plus I have one last week to keep my points up for the National finals so I might need to take the old Beechman down to one last show. I'll let you know when I've got something concrete for the beta.

Thanks in advance for your understanding [:D]

flowerbee: *giggles* I've just realized I missed the note about the epilouge and responded as if it was the last post. Aw, well, nevermind. Sorry.

No worries! I usually don't know if I'm coming or going so it's understandable if I confuse everyone else :p

Edit- and congrats on your awards!

I love Han and Leia so much... I think that, besides Jaina and Jag, they are my favorite characters to see you write.

I actually love H/L too. When I first started writing there was so much good fanfic in that 'ship that I didn't need to invent my own ideas. So off I went to J/J

oldjedinurse: When I read your work, I always have a clear picture of time and place and character and emotions. This Epilogue is no exception.

Thanks :) Funny because I actuallly worried when I wrote this post that I wasn't clear enough on where Jaina was, but the detail would have weighed down the storytelling so I left it as is. I actually never defined where they were but so long as the reader felt they could create a location, whether it be Coruscant or Ossus that is fine with me as an author. In the end the interaction was the only important part of this post.

Make sense?

Darkwriter: Awesome! I think Jaina's found herself now.

I would agree. She is about the age to do that.

So sad! I don't know what you're planning, but I really hope the twins make up.

[face_laugh] [face_mischief] [face_devil]

P.S. Congrats on the awards!

Thank you [:D]

Lex: I knew you were gonna get people going that this was a wedding. You?re so evil!

Yeah...I am. [face_devil]

This part of the post was so sad and frustrating. In just a few short years, the Jedi have really lost their way. Jaina, who during the NJO did everything right and everything she was asked, is now the outcast. Compounded by the fact that Luke and the others are too blind to see the rightness of her actions during DN. In some ways this must be how her grandfather felt at times about the old Order ? isolated from those he respects and loves because they cannot see the flaws in their own certainties?

Certainty is a positive and negative attribute. Never be too certain to question the rightness of your actions, I say.

Interesting that this is from Jaina?s POV, though, because that puts her personal perceptions into the scene. Perhaps the reality is that Mara?s opinions aren?t quite so harsh, but Jaina cannot help but read more disappointment and distress into her former master?s feelings as compared to, say, Luke?s.

Exactly ;)

I wouldn?t be surprised at all if down the line, LOTF reveals that Jaina has ?caught on? to Jacen much longer than others, but also has known she can?t confront or expose him because her allegation wouldn?t (yet) be believed.

I think Jaina will be one of the first to catch on. Sadly for her :( What a terrible reality to discover as a sister.

Solo_and_Fel: I said I wanted to come read through it when it was all done... and it appears I came in one post early... but I had a lot to catch up on.... so there's my justification.

Oops! Got to wait for the end now!

TKL, this is absolutely beautiful. I had to admit there were times when I wondered if I was in a flashback or not and when the flashback was and the like, but I think that just kept up the tumultuousness of the story.

Actually tha

12. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    So I've finally got a minute to really sit down and comment. Since I missed like 2 posts I think, I'm not going to go back and pull out my specific favorite lines (though there have been many) but I thought before it ended, I comment on the overall feel of the story.

One of the things that drew me into your writing originally was the depth that the stories had, and of course the characterization. That is one thing that I have always admired in your work, your ability to hit the characters so spot on, that it is difficult to remember whether something happened in a published Star Wars book, or whether it was something that I had read in one of you fics. You have definitely mastered the art of "show don't tell" (something that I can almost hear you saying to me every time I write anything) and that is another aspect of what draws me into your stories. You don't tell me what the characters are feeling, you describe the actions that go along with the emotions and in doing so, draw me in so that I can feel the emotions as if they were my own. You put your readers inside of the character's heads so that they can feel like not only are they reading an excellent story, that they are part of an excellent story. I've often seen people ask here what a person needs to do to get readers and after reading this fic, I have to say that emotions are the key. If you can have readers feeling Jaina's withdrawal symptoms nearly as she does, or can feel the sense of betrayal like Jag. Or the cocky confidence of Cem, you have drawn them in.

Another thing about this story that has kept me drawn to it is that it is so well rounded when it comes to genre and balances the emotions that are elicited by that drama. It can be mushy without getting disgustingly so, there can be angst without feeling like your reading a soap opera. Action without it being overblown or too graphic. Humor without being distateful. I have noticed all those things in this story. And while it keeps the readers on a roller coaster of emotion (especially when trying to decipher which things were flashbacks and which things were real-time) it is one of the things that keeps you wanting to read. Will Jag ever forgive Jaina? Will Jaina tell Jag about the baby? Escape mode from the Chiss. Awww, they finally got back together. All of these things are crucial parts of the story and it has kept me more than a little entertained.

Another thing that I love so much about this story are the characterizations. I read the characters and they are characters I recognize (not a Star Wars name on what is effectively an OC). That is another part of what keeps me so into it. It really intrigued me to see Jaina struggling with the symptoms of her withdrawal, the secret about her pregnancy, being the Sword of the Jedi, and the love she still felt for Jag. There were just so many layers to her here. She wasn't this perfect icon, daughter of heros, savior of the galaxy, but she showed real human traits. And as is true for all of humanity, not all of those traits were attractive, but they are part of who she is and essential to the story. And of course, you know how I feel about the characterization of Jag. His character is often butchered. And not always in just the stale, cardboard character kind of way. It also seems all to easy for people to turn him into this full bloan Corillean (sp?) like Han and totally disregard his Chiss upbringing. Or, to not make him cardboard but to essentially turn him into a Chiss, which he isn't. He's got a delicate balance thing going on and sometimes, he lets one half of himself take-over, but never completely. That's why I love him in this fic. It was quite an experience seeing the wariness he felt towards Jaina when she first came back into his life, the pain he felt when he told her about Jacen, the stalwart fighter who faught against the Chiss, the man who kept his feelings off of the surface, the love (and sometimes exasperation) he felt for Cem, the closeness he still shared with his mom, and the confusion he felt abou

13. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    So I'm going to go with a ditto on what Wildcat said. :p

And take all the time you need, TKL. Though we complain, the wait only makes the post that much better. :)

-Vicster

14. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    I always try to look for the silver linings where I can, and a delayed post means that I have a chance to sneak in my reply for the last post! :D

The reactions to Jaina's appearance were just perfect: Luke's guarded acceptance, Mara's disappointment and anger, Han's wink and a smile, Leia's joy, and Jacen's... *shudders* appropriately creepy reaction.

?Yes. Time away from the war gave me some perspective.? Jaina took a deep breath. ?I would like a chance to atone, and serve the Force.?

?As I recall, our differences weren?t so much about the Force, but how the Jedi serve,? Luke reminded her.

?That is true.?

Nice sidestep, Jaina. ;) I also liked how she left unsaid her real reason for the trip to Dagobah

His whole demeanor lifted as though a huge load had been taken from his shoulders, and his smile blossomed. He dismissed her assurance with a wave of his hand. ?I wasn?t worried.? He wrestled Jaina into yet another hug. ?Besides, I?d give that old girl up for you any day.?

[face_laugh] I'm positive that's true, but it doesn't mean that Han isn't happy to know that his first baby is back in one piece. ;) I just wanted to cut, paste and comment on all of the H/L parts because I love them (and how you write them!) so much? but that would probably be overkill.

Jacen wouldn?t relent. ?But you saved Jag??

Jaina heaved a sigh. ?Against his wishes, if you must know. For some reason Jag had the impression I was practically responsible for the entire war.?

?Did he ??

Tell you I betrayed our parents? Tell you that I planted evidence incriminating you and led him to it? [face_laugh] This is hardly a humorous scene, but I couldn't stop myself from chuckling at Jacen seeming to squirm just a bit. On the other hand, my face fell when Han blurted out that Jag was alive. Jag is a loose end to Jacen? and I don't like the thought of how Jacen will try to handle loose ends. [face_worried]

She was already backing away when she remembered her brother. Instinct guided her feet the few steps to him. Standing on her toes, she embraced him like she had so many times before. The act should have been natural, and in a way it still was. Yet it was also awkward, like dancing with a new partner in an unfamiliar style.

Ouch. :( This really sucks for Jaina.

Taking the hilt into one hand, she unscrewed the pommel cap. It separated easily, and a small smile creased her mouth. Tipping the hilt, she allowed the hidden treasure to drop into the palm of her hand.

It was the only link to a truth she had left in the Unknown Regions. A link she coveted beyond reason. Small and unassuming, it was a perfect reflection of the life Jaina wanted and needed, a reminder of all the reasons why she must succeed. And it was hers alone.

Shutting her eyes, Jaina felt the smooth edges and the perfect symmetry of her engagement ring, and smiled.

*sigh* [face_love] :) :D

Great post, as always! :D

15. nikjo88

nikjo88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    Wow!!!=D=
    I've finally read up till here n WOW! I LUV it![face_love]
    U make jacen a really hateable character( n i usually like him)...he's so creepy!acting real sithy.

16. Aniakera

Aniakera Jedi Master star 1

Aug 20, 2005
    Don't you love it when her first reaction is to laugh out loud? :oops:

17. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    i'm back at last damn computer being **** for 3 whole months!!!!!!!!!
    finnaly back online with an old dial up modem just in time to catch the end of splinters! yay! i miss broad band

18. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    My cable was down all weekend so I can sympathize! I'm planning on getting some replies done tomorrow. I've got a few other commitments before I can get to those.

Thanks for all the kind replies, folks. [:D]

19. ChissGoddess

ChissGoddess Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Wow TKL this epilogue is fantastic. You've got me hoping again (that there's still hope for the canon). I wish they'd scrap the canon stuff and publish what you write...alas.

So is Jaina's new lightsaber powered by the engagement ring?

20. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Good morning!

First off I'll be out and about this week. But with free time to work on that post :D

Now replies...

Wildcat: One of the things that drew me into your writing originally was the depth that the stories had, and of course the characterization. That is one thing that I have always admired in your work, your ability to hit the characters so spot on, that it is difficult to remember whether something happened in a published Star Wars book, or whether it was something that I had read in one of you fics.

Wow! Thank you. I love the characters, truly, so I'm glad you enjoy that part of my writing.

You have definitely mastered the art of "show don't tell" (something that I can almost hear you saying to me every time I write anything)

Uhoh! Is that a bad thing? Hearing voices? :p

You don't tell me what the characters are feeling, you describe the actions that go along with the emotions and in doing so, draw me in so that I can feel the emotions as if they were my own.

Well so much of communication is with body language. I like to use to tell deeper layers of the story. You can read the words but know by body language the character is thinking something different. And I never actually told you that. [face_mischief]

Another thing about this story that has kept me drawn to it is that it is so well rounded when it comes to genre and balances the emotions that are elicited by that drama. It can be mushy without getting disgustingly so, there can be angst without feeling like your reading a soap opera.

:wahoo: Melikes [:D]

It really intrigued me to see Jaina struggling with the symptoms of her withdrawal, the secret about her pregnancy, being the Sword of the Jedi, and the love she still felt for Jag. There were just so many layers to her here. She wasn't this perfect icon, daughter of heros, savior of the galaxy, but she showed real human traits.

She's got a lot going on eh? And against her. It's empowering to see her struggle above it all.

Vicster: So I'm going to go with a ditto on what Wildcat said.

I'll take that! :D

Scoundrel: I always try to look for the silver linings where I can, and a delayed post means that I have a chance to sneak in my reply for the last post!

True true!

The reactions to Jaina's appearance were just perfect: Luke's guarded acceptance, Mara's disappointment and anger, Han's wink and a smile, Leia's joy, and Jacen's... *shudders* appropriately creepy reaction.

Like Wildcat said it's about the little moves versus what is or isn't said. I enjoy that detail. Thanks for noticing.

Nice sidestep, Jaina. I also liked how she left unsaid her real reason for the trip to Dagobah

She's daddy's girl [face_devil]

nikjo88: I've finally read up till here n WOW! I LUV it!

U make jacen a really hateable character( n i usually like him)...he's so creepy!acting real sithy.

I blame Yobi :p He kept telling me Jacen was bad [face_mischief]

Aniakera: Don't you love it when her first reaction is to laugh out loud?

Yep ;)

PHGS_Weyr: i'm back at last damn computer being **** for 3 whole months!!!!!!!!!
    finnaly back online with an old dial up modem just in time to catch the end of splinters! yay! i miss broad band

3 months! Well back in time for the good stuff :) [face_dancing]

Chiss Goddess: Wow TKL this epilogue is fantastic. You've got me hoping again (that there's still hope for the canon). I wish they'd scrap the canon stuff and publish what you write...alas.

Yeah so does my pocket book :p Thanks for the kind words.

So is Jaina's new lightsaber powered by the engagement ring?

Just hidden in the hilt ;)

Thanks all for the great feedback. You're the best [:D]

21. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Lex posted: I wouldn?t be surprised at all if down the line, LOTF reveals that Jaina has ?caught on? to Jacen much longer than others, but also has known she can?t confront or expose him because her allegation wouldn?t (yet) be believed.

I tend to that Jaina might be one of the first he actually will listened to. Tahiri, Lowie, & Tesar started telling Luke a while back that Jacen was up to something....what he do? Sent them to Dagobah, like children who've wrongly tattled on a sibling and made up a story, are sent to their rooms to think about telling "the truth." Sadly, I think it speaks to Luke's outlook on things right now that he will be more inclined Jaina than he was the other three. My reading of profic is that while he doesn't want to hear the bad about Jacen, it's probably going to have to hit him in the face... Jacen's probably going to be the one to tell him, but he might listen if told by Leia or Jaina. I think Luke sees them those closest to Jacen, even if Jacen doesn't really feel that any more. Luke seems to be getting more family focused and relying more on those in his immediate family again. I think it's the parenting mode in overdrive.

22. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002

Without a doubt ;)

23. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    I also thought it was her wedding at first. I like how you are tying this story into what is happening in canon.

24. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Lyne, great to see you around the boards :D The red herring of the wedding was too good to resist. Sorry :(

Not really :p [face_mischief]

To all the readers, I'll be returning from vacation tomorrow and looking to post on Friday :D

25. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    WOOT!!! :D

-Vicster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.