main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Spocon 2010!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by The_Cheeser, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Spocon is right around the corner, just a week and a half!

If you are going, please post in here. I am and I'd like to know who to keep my eye out for.

Don't forget that the Ammons might like some people to offer them help. I don't know what they are doing, but we should at least ask if there is anything we can do.

2. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    I am running two games this year in College Hall, so I better be there!

Star Wars Fellstar Campaign Season finale is Saturday July 31st from 1pm until 10pm or whenever we get done.
    Synopsis: After a few months of being hot shot Underbosses for Epsus, our heroes find an odd journal recording, referring to a vast treasure hidden on Yavin IV. Eager to secure more wealth and possibly gain mroe position and power, the party heads to the location to search for it. But not eveyrthing is as it seems. Sins from the past are catching up to them, and the treasure is well guarded. Will our heroes live to tell the tale? Or will their own mistakes end their young lives?

Doctor Who RPG is Sunday August 1st from 10am to 4pm.
    Synopsis: ToyCon 2010!! You and your geeky friends have decided to go and check out the latest toys being released, including an awesome new robot from over seas! But suddenly everything goes wrong! People start screaming and there's a strange man running around telling eveyrone he's a doctor. Can you and your friends figure out whats going on? Can you stop the toys from killing all those innocent people? Come find out!

I really hope to see you guys there! I might be stopping in late Friday to hang out and actually check out the Con, instead of just running the games like I always do.

Also, if anyone wants to volunteer for security, shoot me your email address and I will send off the contact info for the security volunteers meeting that they are doing.

3. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    I'll be there! Armored up, and liquored up! Except for during that one Panel that I may or may not be speaking on. I don't know if I'm the Moderator (was I the first one to propose the idea??) or if I'll just be another schmuck speaker.
    By the way, it's not that Armor Building Panel that I'd wanted to do. That one got scrapped because they ran out of room on the schedule. :mad:

4. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Bevan and I will be there. Costumed up as well :)

5. Dark_Jedi_Nasman

Dark_Jedi_Nasman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2006
    I should be there as well...

6. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    We will be there as well

7. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Alfredo, get with me for next year and I'll give you your armor building panel all to yourself.

I will be in room 314 for most of the con. I'm putting on 7 panels for the weekend. And the Masquerade...this con is going to be work, and I'm looking forward to August. Do we have a Spokantina meeting schedule for August?

8. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    STRESS OUT!!!

:D

Ha Ha! I already know most of you are going because I saw you on the online pre-reg list :p

Stan and I are in charge of opening ceremonies this year... it should be pretty good. By the way, if anyone is interested in dressing like an "uber nerd" we need some primitive fans to grunt at each other and touch the monolith. You'll need to be available for practice on Friday after 9am, until about 3 (probably won't take that whole time though) and then again for practice from 6pm - 7pm, then Opening Ceremonies is at 7, if you're interested, give me a call or email.

See you all there!

9. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    John, Kelli while I'm not able to do the uber nerd bit on friday, please let me know if I can be of help in any other way. Door watch before the Masquerade or whatever.

I'm tentatively looking at Aug. 14 or possibly 21 for a meeting date.

10. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    "IT'S OVER!!!"

What a blast! I had such a great time with you guys, you all looked great!
    The Ammons are amazing, doing all that work to make it great.

You all looked great, like we were in our natural habitat!

11. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    I had a blast, it was so much fun running a Saga game where I didn't have to worry about a time limit! I was a little sad, but kinda relieved that my Doctor Who game got cancelled, because I was able to go see The Clumsy Lovers with Deanna that day! And I'm pretty jazzed that Denise Davis won the Gong Show with a story from one of the campaigns I ran for them!

I guess I should get back to work on the next gaming session though...

12. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Hey Dave! After our game, I went to see the Dead Gentleman again, this time they were playing Dorkness Rising. When it was over, they had copies, so I bought one, and had it signed!

DVD
    Signed

I asked if when they were done signing, if I could get a picture with them all, and they said yes!

Picture I expected.

Then I took a step forward and Matt says, "Where are you going?"
    "Huh?"
    "Were not done taking pictures with you. Take off your backpack."
    "...Ok..."

"Ready, one, two, THREE!"

Picture I didn't expect.

What awesome people! They like Spokane, and I heard that they have decided to make SpoCon their home-con.

13. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Dude! Critical failure on save vs envy! That is so awesome!

Maybe one of these days I can get into a game with those guys!

I need to plan a crowd pleaser game for the next SpoCon...hmm...

14. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
  15. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Conventions are the only times I feel right.
    I'm depressed that it's over...
    ...but I can still smile because it happenned at all...

16. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Maybe you should plan a game that other con-goers can join in, instead of just the regular group meeting somewhere different. Just saying.

17. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Your Doctor Who game was supposed to be open, wasn't it? Why'd it get canceled?

18. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    The Doctor Who game, which I was specifically requested to run by Michelle Brumley and Chad Davis, no higher honor for SpoCon there, ended up being cancelled because no one showed up! Well, Michelle did, and we sat around and talked about Doctor Who for 45 minutes waiting for people to show, but to no avail.

And I do run games that are open to the public. This was my 3rd game run at a public event, ever. First was GameCon, where I learned that I needed more than 4 hours to run a public game, then Zombie Apocolypse Game Day, where I learned that I need to have control over who does or does not play in my public games, and finally SpoCon, where I learned that I can't count on everyone to show up if they are invited to a private event. SpoCon was the only one where I closed it to the public, and mostly because I felt it would have a strong turn out, and we can play without interruption for a long time, unlike our current gaming group situation, which would result in Mason's and probably my death as well if we went for 9 plus hours with 12 people in the basement.

I'm not going to take it personally that not everyone showed up, first because there were a few events I wanted to go to on Saturday as well, and I can't blame anyone for that, and second, because I really like gaming with you guys. It's great to have a group of mostly new gamers I can run because sometimes my Sunday group can get a bit stuffy or overwhelming.

19. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Look on the bright side, you got to talk to Michelle for 45 minutes :p

20. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    It was pretty cool meeting another big fan of Doctor Who, I have to be honest with that.

And I'm still slated to run my Doctor Who game at a later date and time, possibly another Con down the road.

21. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Dave, I really, Really, REALLY wanted to show up for the game.

I had to got to the Zombie Preparedness panel because I was actually on it. In fact, I'd submitted a proposal for it a number of months before the convention. It didn't quite go the way that I'd hoped because apparently I got "outranked" by some one who successfully got a book on the subject published, and then there were a couple of dealers, and a scientist, etc...
    Apparently semantics came into play somewhere as well. Panel vs Demo, or Presentation. Kelli's got it all worked out.

Back to the matter at hand, I really wish that scheduling had allowed me to be there. I needed prep time before the Panel, and recovery time after:
    I made the mistake of wearing my very cool looing winter jumpsuit (cool looking, hot as hell) with a 30-pound survival rig. Plus lugging over some extra gear that I wanted to demo. All to no avail.
    * sigh *
    Next year should go a little better, assuming anyone shows up to the FairGrounds.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.