main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Spoiled Rich Kid Kills 4 Drunk Driving; No Jail

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    It's been all over the news this morning. Here's an article from Huffington.

So basically, "His parents spoiled him--it's not his fault! He must walk free because he was spooiiilleeed! And setting him free for killing four people certainly will not spoil him any further!"

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    1. This was two months ago. Why would it be "all over the news this morning"?

2. It's sad that wealth and a bull**** defense were the only things that kept a minor from spending 20 years in prison. Rather than string this kid up, maybe we should examine our common practice of trying people under 18 as "adults" so that maybe poorer kids get better treatment.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I assume that his court date was recent and that the event itself happened two months ago? I don't write the news, though. But CNN/HLN has been repeating it over and over for the past couple hours this morning. And it's been on other news channels as well today.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Or change the minimum driving age to 18, as it is in most countries.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And change the drinking age back to 18-19.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

So you'd be okay with a poor drunk kid crashing into and, say, killing your family and getting a similarly lenient penalty for having destroyed said lives? You'd be like, "Well, thank God the system didn't try him as an adult and he'll be able to put his life back together more easily after this!"

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that always kind of puzzled me about the US - you can't drink until you're 21, but you can drive when you're only 16?

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not "okay" with people getting killed, no. But our justice system is supposed to be more lenient on minors for good reason. I think it's stupid that prosecutors and courts can arbitrarily discard or push the limits of those protections.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We can serve in the military when we're 18 though. So we basically can fight in wars, but we can't have a drink to that.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Drunk driving is a problem that is not exclusive to minors.

I think kids should be forced to drive minivans as their first cars. Slow, plodding minivans. It teaches discipline and respect for engine power.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Juliet316 and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    the point darth guy is trying to make is that outrage is because poor black teens in these cases get tried as adults and get sent to jail while rich white teens get treatment. Both should be getting treatment.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    They should also start with manual transmissions. You become a better and safer but also more scared driver.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Never meant to imply that. But I still think that minimum driving age of 15 or 16 is way too young.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  15. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    The obvious solution to this problem is for people to get heartily drunk before driving lessons and to require the consumption of at least 8 pints of beer immediately before taking their test. Drivers accustomed to driving under the influence will cause fewer accidents.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    How is 18 any better? The prefrontal cortex doesn't fully form until 25 or so.

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. Where I grew up there was no public transportation. If I wanted to be able to work and earn money for college I had to be able to drive or had to have parents who could drive me around to my job. Perhaps if we had better public transportation everywhere I'd go along with this, but that isn't the case.

Lord Vivec and Point Given like this.
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, virtually non-existent public transportation is a problem. The two go hand in hand.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Both should be going to jail imo.

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Of course you can. That's what lawmakers do all the time. In the UK, the blanket statement is anyone under 17 is too young to drive. No ifs, no buts.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think you realize how big the United States is, and how insane the idea of a public transport network in large parts of this country would be. Inevitably places wouldn't get served. Don't live in a fancy city? Well sucks to be you then, your kids can't work and get an income. Too bad for poor people.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

harpua, s65horsey, Bacon164 and 2 others like this.
  22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah, I've read that the distance between New York and Los Angeles is roughly the same distance between Lisbon, Portugal and Moscow, Russia

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Forget about one country, you couldn't even make a blanket rule about that just in NEW YORK STATE. The largest population center in the country balancing out against the majority of the rest of the state which is... agricultural. PepsiCo is in the middle of nowhere and is one of the largest companies in the world, no?

Which is why, in fact, NYS has different rules -- you can drive at 16 with a permit anywhere outside of NYC / Yonkers and 17 with a permit (and an older, licensed driver with you) in NYC / Yonkers.

PS - NYS is juuuuuuuuuuuust larger than the size of England.

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "reginald, i do believe ill 'ave a crumpet whilst i motor in my auto!!" ~ a seventeen-year-old limey

"in soviet russia, jew drive car down well and my vast tracts of land are reappropriated for peasent use for to feed themselves" ~@Mar17swgirl/borat

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "oi 'ave the Knowledge wot that i can drive a cab, innit?!"