SPOILER"Indy 4 Ending Question"SPOILER

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by obiwanws2, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obiwanws2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    ok, here is my question.

At the end of the film when the dean is running to his office, what is that book that he grabs out of his desk.

I could have sworn that it said "Homer Odyssey" whereas my dad just assumed it was a bible.

Any thoughts?
  2. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    According to the novelization, it's the Bible.

Not 100% on this, but when I saw the movie I could swear the name was in a language other than English.
  3. JediANGELA Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It looked like it was in Latin to me, so it might have been an old Bible or something.
  4. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Kind of what I thought. :)
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    It looked like Latin. I wondered what the significance of it was and thought perhaps it was Henry Sr.'s? I think I would have definitely thought that had Sir Sean reprised his role and (presumably) been in the Dean's place instead.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  6. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd buy that it could have been Henry Sr's. bible. But why someone in his 80's would have wanted to be dean of anything is beyond me. :confused:
  7. Kapoof Jedi Padawan

Good question, i wondered the same. Does the priest use it at the wedding or something?
  8. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yup.
  9. obiwanws2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    But why wouldn't a priest have his own bible?
  10. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Look, it's clearly a plot device. It serves to have the camera go past the door to Indy's new office, so you can see he's been made the Associate Dean of his college.
  11. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Exactly.
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    In-film, if it was Indy's father's Bible it probably held special meaning for Indy. Since getting married is a life-changing step, Indy might have wanted to mark it with something belonging to his father.
  13. obiwanws2 Jedi Knight

star 1
  14. JediANGELA Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I thought I read somewhere yesterday that it was confirmed that the Bible belonged to Marcus Brody. I have to find that source again.
  15. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Can anyone with the novel possibly explain the "oh noes" moment when the switchblade Mutt had kicked onto Indy's shoulder falls off? It made no sense in the movie.
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Seriously, it felt like they edited something from that moment, but that was awkward because they should have edited it all... makes no sense.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  17. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

ok, here is my question.

At the end of the film when the dean is running to his office, what is that book that he grabs out of his desk.

I could have sworn that it said "Homer Odyssey" whereas my dad just assumed it was a bible.

Any thoughts?

Your Dad is correct.

And by the way, the editing is at the end is right on the mark. It's a Bible and they cut directly to it at the wedding. I watched those shots carefully the second time I saw it to track the flow of the scenes. That's not the kind of thing Spielberg is going to botch.
  18. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought that he split his pants or something.
  19. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah something happened. There was a sound effect when the knife was kicked to Indy that sounded like something was ripping.

I thought maybe when he opened the knife, it was facing his butt rather than away from him and he sliced a hole in his pants. Either that or he sliced a hole in the tarp of the truck.

But I've only seen it once, so I could be remembering wrong. ;)
  20. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Wasn't the blade still concealed in the handle at that point, though?
  21. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_thinking] Good point... I don't remember. Someone who has seen this more than me should answer this question. :p (I've only seen it once, and as much as I loved it, I don't have the money to spend on going to the theater more than once to see one movie, so I'm stuck waiting until it's out on DVD.)
  22. Mr_Burns Force Ghost

star 4
    When I heard the sound I thought he'd triggered the blade and skewered himself... but then, nothing.
  23. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I assumed he cut his pants, but they're aren't split in later scenes.
  24. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well originally I thought he split open the canvas of the truck and was going to fall out, but after he didn't fall out I just assumed he split is pants.
  25. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    But I think no matter what actualy happened in that scene, the 'oh no!' was a little too dramatic. Left everyone going 'uh-oh, what's going to happen?!' when in actuality nothing happened because of it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.