main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPOILER"Indy 4 Ending Question"SPOILER

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by obiwanws2, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obiwanws2

obiwanws2 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    ok, here is my question.

At the end of the film when the dean is running to his office, what is that book that he grabs out of his desk.

I could have sworn that it said "Homer Odyssey" whereas my dad just assumed it was a bible.

Any thoughts?

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    According to the novelization, it's the Bible.

Not 100% on this, but when I saw the movie I could swear the name was in a language other than English.

3. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    It looked like it was in Latin to me, so it might have been an old Bible or something.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Kind of what I thought. :)

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It looked like Latin. I wondered what the significance of it was and thought perhaps it was Henry Sr.'s? I think I would have definitely thought that had Sir Sean reprised his role and (presumably) been in the Dean's place instead.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'd buy that it could have been Henry Sr's. bible. But why someone in his 80's would have wanted to be dean of anything is beyond me. :confused:

7. Kapoof

Kapoof Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2008
    Good question, i wondered the same. Does the priest use it at the wedding or something?

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yup.

9. obiwanws2

Feb 28, 2004
    But why wouldn't a priest have his own bible?

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Look, it's clearly a plot device. It serves to have the camera go past the door to Indy's new office, so you can see he's been made the Associate Dean of his college.

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Exactly.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In-film, if it was Indy's father's Bible it probably held special meaning for Indy. Since getting married is a life-changing step, Indy might have wanted to mark it with something belonging to his father.

13. obiwanws2

Feb 28, 2004
    ok. Thanks

14. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    I thought I read somewhere yesterday that it was confirmed that the Bible belonged to Marcus Brody. I have to find that source again.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Can anyone with the novel possibly explain the "oh noes" moment when the switchblade Mutt had kicked onto Indy's shoulder falls off? It made no sense in the movie.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Seriously, it felt like they edited something from that moment, but that was awkward because they should have edited it all... makes no sense.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

ok, here is my question.

At the end of the film when the dean is running to his office, what is that book that he grabs out of his desk.

I could have sworn that it said "Homer Odyssey" whereas my dad just assumed it was a bible.

Any thoughts?

Your Dad is correct.

And by the way, the editing is at the end is right on the mark. It's a Bible and they cut directly to it at the wedding. I watched those shots carefully the second time I saw it to track the flow of the scenes. That's not the kind of thing Spielberg is going to botch.

18. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I thought that he split his pants or something.

19. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Yeah something happened. There was a sound effect when the knife was kicked to Indy that sounded like something was ripping.

I thought maybe when he opened the knife, it was facing his butt rather than away from him and he sliced a hole in his pants. Either that or he sliced a hole in the tarp of the truck.

But I've only seen it once, so I could be remembering wrong. ;)

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Wasn't the blade still concealed in the handle at that point, though?

21. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    [face_thinking] Good point... I don't remember. Someone who has seen this more than me should answer this question. :p (I've only seen it once, and as much as I loved it, I don't have the money to spend on going to the theater more than once to see one movie, so I'm stuck waiting until it's out on DVD.)

22. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    When I heard the sound I thought he'd triggered the blade and skewered himself... but then, nothing.

23. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I assumed he cut his pants, but they're aren't split in later scenes.

24. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Well originally I thought he split open the canvas of the truck and was going to fall out, but after he didn't fall out I just assumed he split is pants.

25. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    But I think no matter what actualy happened in that scene, the 'oh no!' was a little too dramatic. Left everyone going 'uh-oh, what's going to happen?!' when in actuality nothing happened because of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.