main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Spoilers*** A question about the New Jedi Order.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DARTH_DURST, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_DURST

DARTH_DURST Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2001
    I read "Vector Prime" when it was originally released and really enjoyed the book. I haven't read any in the series since, but my question is, are the rest in the series worth reading? I mean, are they as good as Vector Prime? I know that Chewbacca died in VP, and now I heard that someone else dies in the latest installment "Star by Star". Who dies now? Are they eliminating all the OT characters?

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, from my POV :

Yes, it's definitively worth it.

No, everyone ain't dying in SBS. No movie character at least.

If you liked VP, I guess you won't have any problem with the rest of the series.

3. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Agreed, I have for the most part enjoyed the books I have read. Star by Star is considered by most, as I understand it, the high water mark so far in the series.

4. DARTH_DURST

Feb 15, 2001
    So Star by Star is the best in the series? If I just picked that book up, would I be lost as to what was going on?

5. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

If you don't want to read the books that came before, at least track down synopsies (sp) of the Vector Prime, Onslught, Ruin, Heroes Trial, Jedi Eclipse, Balance Point, Recovery, Conquest and Rebirth, just to give you a basic idea of what has gone before. I would recommend that you do read Vector Prime.

6. DARTH_DURST

Feb 15, 2001
    I did read Vector Prime, and I thought it was a very good book. Are there any other good Star Wars novel series out there? I am new to the EU and Star Wars books. I had always just watched the movies and never given any thought to anything EU.

7. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, if you have some time and money, I suggest - given you've read only Vector Prime - that you buy the Essential Chronology, read it, then re-read VP and start on all the NJO book, and once you've caught up with the current state of the NJO, go back to the parts that interested you in the EC (usually, I recommend the Thrawn Trilogy, and the 9 books of the X-Wing series).

If you don't have that much time and money, you could just read Balance Point, and then Star by Star, using Timetales to get a rather complete summary of the stories in between. I'd recommend you buy the Essential Chronology anyway, it's quite useful.

8. DARTH_DURST

Feb 15, 2001
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to buy all the books in the series and the chronology and read them all.

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I definetly recommend that you continue reading the NJO. And I agree that SbS is the best book in series to date, followed closely by VP.

10. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Good.

Then :

The Essential Chronology

Dark Tide I : Onslaught
    Dark Tide II : Ruin
    Agents of Chaos I : Hero's Trial
    Agents of Chaos II : Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Edge of Victory I : Conquest
    Edge of Victory II : Rebirth
    Star by Star

If you need the list ! :D

11. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    if you want another good series read teh Lando Calrissian Adventures, there three in one book and there pretty cool

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

D'oh!

I did read Vector Prime, and I thought it was a very good book.

I read your post, I really did, but I slipped over to Amazon.com to check Mastadge's list of New Jedi order books so I could see that I listed them all properly, and between there and here I forgot you had read it.

13. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Great memory ya go... :D

14. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    According to Del Rey, you can read just the hardcovers (Vectore Prime, Balance Point and Star by Star and get the full story. However, it is better to read all of the books- nobody else can predict which novels you'll like best.

15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    You will love the rest. The best books I have read in the NJO so far were:

Vector Prime

Balance Point

Edge of Victory 1

Edge of Victory 2 (Reading right now)

I will probally be adding Star by Star. I don't know yet. I haven't read it yet.

16. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Yes, Star By Star is the best NJO as so far but Conquest and rebirth are pretty good.

17. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I know that Chewbacca died in VP, and now I heard that someone else dies in the latest installment "Star by Star". Who dies now? Are they eliminating all the OT characters?

Well, in SbS, the death was not one of the OT characters. It was Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.