main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I enjoyed playing Racer.

cratylus likes this.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The SNES games were great too.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    a better question would be did all the good star wars games come out in the 90s?

Ulicus and Ender Sai like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I GREW UP ON GRIM FANDANGO AND CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND YOU GUYSSSSSSS:_|

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Watch and learn.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Get out. As others have said.

The best games were in the 90s. Excepting BioWare's efforts, there hasn't been a good Star Wars game since 2000. Galatic Battlegrounds? Meh, AoE2 reskin. Republic Commando? Yawn. Battlefront? Ha, honestly though... no. Farce Unleashed? You're being silly now.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If I could find the adapter I'd be playing it right now.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Jedi Outcast.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Outcast was an okay shooter. It didn't live up to the high standard set by the groundbreaking first two games in the series, especially where level design is concerned.

Ulicus and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Nah, Outcast was pretty terrible. I mean, it had nice flashy saber fighting mechanics, but at the cost of the narrative established in Jedi Knight. Kyle, in the canon light side ending, abandoned the dark side. But, in this new one, he can run around choking and barbequing foes with moral impunity, because terrible.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    lol I wasn't really concerned about the story (maybe that's a fault in itself). I enjoyed the gameplay though the final battle against Desaan was kind of a letdown.

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked KOTOR, but it ran horribly on PC.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What? No it didn't, and it offered the best upgrades in the game via the Yavin Station.

I also said "excepting BioWare's efforts", Cor. :p

Boba_Fett_2001 - the issue then really is that like most SW games it became about style over substance. It was all about flashy mechanics and really didn't need to be a Kyle story; that was just a way of ensuring there was no effort needed to create a new character or tell a particularly non-idiotic story. So it fits with the rest of the games of the post-2000 era in terms of being fairly unsatisfying.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Plus the level design was plain terrible. WTF Raven? You guys came up with Hexen, ffs.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    But again, I don't place a whole lot of emphasis on the story and that probably goes for most SW games in general. That's not to say story doesn't matter at all, I think it really depends on the type of game. Like, I don't really play a Grand Theft Auto game for its story, I play it for the gameplay. Same thing with, say, StarCraft II which has one of the most cliched Hollywood stories I've ever seen but the actual missions are excellent. But on the other hand you have adventure games or something like The Last Of Us that are very story driven. I think with those types of games it's completely fair to critique the story as part of your overall opinion on the game. Obviously, in an ideal world the perfect game is one that does both story and gameplay exceptionally well.

So when it comes to a game like JO I really am just there for the shooting, lightsabre battles, force powers, etc. Now if you believe those elements were unsatisfying then you're free to think so but I personally enjoyed them a lot.

It's been years since I've played. What was so wrong with it?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The locations were non-sensical. JK managed to get the perfect balance between gameplay and immersion, especially considering how primitive the Sith Engine was. JO, on the other hand, was some kind of weird throwback to the days of Doom and Heretic: I remember some level with a weird puzzle where you had to move a series of vertical columns up and down... columns that were in the middle of an hangar for no reason. It was such a massive step-back from the two previous games. Even Jedi Academy had better level design, but in this case the levels were so frustratingly short that it felt like a continuous coitus interruptus.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dude what. It ran like a dream on my desktop.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

I still have nightmares about Nar Shadda. "Congrats on getting a lightsaber. You're reward is fighting an army of thugs armed mostly with sniper rifles and grenades."

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus there was no innate challenge to it. You just mastered Force Jump and Force Pull and at the peak of your jump, you yanked all these enemies in the air and to a falling death. Pretty much nobody could withstand it.

I agree with JohnTheShorts about the level design. JK felt like actual levels, something they started in DF and continued over. Compared to doom's random corridors of killing style arrangement this was a massive change in the industry. Outcast just had all this random fanwank (Cloud City carbonite chambers! Lady Luck!) that didn't actually add much to the game. I mean, it's an entertaining romp but that doesn't distract (for me) from the step backwards it took.

Baron's Hed. The best level in my view. Not just because of Max.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It ran horribly slow on mine.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Was it a DX4/100?

harpua likes this.
  23. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    apple 2e?

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004

Ah, gotcha.

Why didn't you like Battlefront?

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was a terrible, witless shooter.

I'm a fan of either very tactical FPS, like Insurgency or ARMA III; or story driven ones with actual good story, like Deus Ex or Far Cry 2. Mindless shooters like COD and Battlefield don't do anything more me; nor did the pretentious story of Bioshock Infantile either.

In short, fussy.