JCC Spoilers beyond this point: The "ZOMG Episode VII" Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Agreed, or a Distant prequel. They could hardly call it eps 0. -1, -2. But there's no reason to thing this so-called "Episode 7" need be a direct sequel to ROTJ ) or even set after it.
  2. EmpireForever Force Ghost

star 7
    My hope is that a new Star Wars movie would include no previously used character from any Star Wars medium. We're talking about an entire galaxy here; let's not focus on the same ten characters.
    DarthTunick and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    That's fine if it is a totally seperate movie, if it is not it should link in some way to the previous ones.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  4. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    I agree that a distant prequel/sequel would be the best option, but I doubt that the titles "Episode 7, 8, & 9" could apply to anything other than a near-future continuance of the Skywalker saga. What else could Lucas & Disney be referring to?
    Summer Dreamer likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I don't think that should be a given. Chronological order should be more or less assumed but, given that the original ST outline was compressed into Episode VI, we can't really assume the passage of time to be that short.

I wasn't looking to Legacy when I thought about the distant sequel, but to the Dune sequels. All part of the same saga, yet set thousands of years apart. And it's not like Lucas hasn't raided Dune's closet before.
    SithLordDarthRichie and jp-30 like this.
  6. EmpireForever Force Ghost

star 7
    Mainly what I don't want is some adaptation of existing EU(because it's awful) or "everyone is old now but we're still doing everything we used to do". Having mention of the previous events is fine, but the story of Luke and Co. has ended. That was their story, and there's nothing left of it. Please let's all move on.
    JoinTheSchwarz and ophelia like this.
  7. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    "I'm too old for this Sith..."
  8. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    I agree with JTS that the best option would be a completely new story with new characters.

If the Fox article is correct (which I doubt) then I wouldn't assume just because Luke, Han and Leia are involved that Mark, Harrison and Carrie would be too.
  9. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    :rolleyes::oops:I spend a fair few posts demolishing a similar idea of yours, regarding if Disney want Toy Story 4 but PIxar aren't interested. Either go back and read those, or look up subsidiary structures on Wikipedia.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I agree that any new movie shouldn't be an attempt at adapting EU books into movies, there is no need to do that. The EU exists as it is outside of the movies, the movies are the true canon and if it is decided that some of the EU established stuff has to overwritten in the movies thanthat is what should be. It's happened plenty of times before.
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Bollocks. Everything is connected. If you don't think there will be / should be links between the existing movies and the new ones, you're deluded.

But that doesn't mean the new ones need to be set in the same times as the existing movies.
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    KOTOR is not connected to the movies, it's just a story set in the same universe. The Clone Wars movie is not Episode 2.5, it is a seperate movie (although it follows on from one of the movies and features some of the same characters)

If the new movie is Episode VII then it should link with the storyline of Episodes I-VI, if they want to make it about the criminal Underworld with none of the previous movie characters it will link simply by the fact it is a Star Wars Universe movie
    Last edited by SithLordDarthRichie, Oct 31, 2012
  13. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    What you got against old people? If we're lucky then one day you will be old. I was watching Tokyo Story a few weeks ago and in that movie the old people were awesome, the young people were the ones that sucked.:p
  14. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I have issues with the "everyone is old now but we're still doing everything we used to do" approach that EF mentioned above.
  15. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Exactly... the roles could be played by other people. If the characters are being brought back, it isn't really required that they be played by the same actors. Ewan was a great Obi-Wan. Also, I think the idea of cameos by Ford, Fisher, and Hammil is a pretty cheesy idea, to be honest.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Luke as an old, wise Yoda-type figure I think would be fine and wouldn't exactly require Hamill to do very much.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  17. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    [IMG]
    Last edited by harpuah, Oct 31, 2012
    jp-30 likes this.
  18. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    No way in hell would they have other people playing old Luke, Han, or Leia. It was a totally different scenario with Obi-Wan in the PT. You can't make an actor alive again and suddenly younger for a prequel. But with a sequel, with those actors still kicking around, it would be incredibly weird to pretend someone totally different was Han Solo. That would be the most ridiculous thing ever and no way would they do it.

As I've been saying over and over, my preference would be a sequel set far enough in the future that they're all dead legends. Thousands of years could be cool, as Daveed said, however my feeling is that they'll still want to connect it to the Skywalker family more. So I'd bet instead on something involving grandchildren or great-grandchildren. I do think it would be cool to do something more disconnected, but that's probably not going to happen. So this would be the best route.

I would be for Artoo and Threepio being in them, though. There's something kind of fantastic about the notion that these two droids, one quite clever and the other fairly oblivious, have wandered through such important bits of galactic history. They're like the Forest Gumps of the GFFA :p
  19. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Luke shouldn't talk funny like Yoda, but there's no reason he can't occupy a similar role or have the Obi Wan role in the new trilogy whoever he might be played by
    Juliet316 likes this.
  20. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Be in the first bit and then die? I wouldn't mind it. If they insist on having one of the big three in the film, as I said, Luke in a brief Obi-Wan role would be the only thing I could see.

But Hamill would still need to get in better shape.
  21. EmpireForever Force Ghost

star 7
    They can start from scratch and it will still be Star Wars, so long as it sets out to do what Star Wars initially did, which is to pay homage to storytelling, really. There's plenty of material to draw out of the same well that Star Wars initially drew from. It's out there, but instead whoever has been running the show has decided to focus on the things people are familiar with from itself, instead of looking outside to other things, and so we end up with things like the PT, and I'm very afraid we'll just be getting more Clone Wars(which I have nothing against, really. I don't watch it. But whatever).

Calling it Episode VII shouldn't mean that it has to be the next episode, because the whole "episode" thing in the first place is an homage. Star Wars used to be special because it was film; now we're here talking about the Star Wars movies because they've become a franchise of movies. I don't mean that derogatorily, I love movies, but it's not often that any movie "franchise" is any good once it gets past 3 or 4; because at that point they're making movies, and not films(again, I'm not bashing movies; I'm trying to create a separation between making something for entertainment's sake and making something artistic, which I think Star Wars initially was but has sadly fallen away from).

I don't believe this new movie will be done in anything like the spirit of the first film(or even second or third). It's not going to be Bambi, I fear, but Bambi II.
  22. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    What...? Why is this something that needs to be said? Do you think Yoda spoke that way due to age or something?!
  23. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    He spoke that way because he's a weird alien, same reason Jar Jar speaks as he does.

I meant it more in that when I say he could have a Yoda role I don't mean he should be some mad isolated hermit who speaks in a confusing way. I'm sure when the OT first came out some thought Yoda's dialogue was because he was a bit mad. The PT showed he talks like that all the time anyway
  24. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    Lucas has always said the one constant from Episodes I to IX would the robots, so if he has any say in this new Trilogy at all the robots will be in it (as long as Anthony isn't too old to put the suit on of course, though even then C3PO can probably easily be CGI'd with Anthony doing the voice)

I'd put money on the robots being in it. A very old Chewbacca is also possible? But as far as Luke, Han and Leia are concerned I'm not sure. Luke maybe as the wise Obi-Wan/Yoda type figure perhaps, but I have real doubts Han and Leia will feature.
  25. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Or Luigi it could be like New Trek which, IMHO, is much better than the old films. It kind of depends on how much they consider this sort of a reboot. Not to wipe out anything else that happened, understand. I just mean if they try to make it a bit more separated from the OT they could make it fresh. There's just no possible way to know what they are even thinking right now.
    Last edited by solojones, Oct 31, 2012