main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    These guys know nothing about impractical lightsabers.

[​IMG]

Jabbadabbado and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    What kind of cinematography does Star Wars even have? Honestly the cinematography is not that noticeable in any Star Wars film even the OT, it's very simple and straightforward, not particularly dynamic - it takes a backseat to everything else, even the editing. Which I'm fine with, it actually helps the audience immersion when you forget the camera is there. The most dynamic shots in any of the OT are the model shots - probably because there was a separate special fx cinematographer.

Honestly a general issue with many films these days (but the prequels especially) is there's a clear distinction between the live action and model (or, in the case of the prequels CGI) shots. The cinematography should be seamless. In a full CGI environment the "camera" can do anything - sweep, arc, pan, zoom - it's limitless, and you can get carried away with gratuitous single-take shots that feel like a roller coaster. Stuff you could never do with a physical camera on a set. You automatically know if you're watching a cgi or live action scene because the cinematography suddenly switches gears. And that tends to pull me out of the movie.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think on some other website, someone said, "What's next, someone wielding two double-bladed lightsabers with both arms and then twirling them around like a majorette?", and I almost wanted to say:

[​IMG]

"General Pong Krell says hello".

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, you've answered your question better than I could -- the camera was unobtrusive, and was mostly used to create those illusions of motion and the like. You got the sense that you were watching stuff happen, as opposed to watching a camera that had taped stuff happening.

The camera following and spinning as it tried to track the Falcon is different from the fairly static camera of yore, where the Falcon would spin around in the asteroid field and the camera would sort of just leisurely go with it.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    loved it. welcome back, Star Wars. I've missed you for 31 years.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I think you notice it more because there is a clearly defined sky, ground, and horizon. The Death Star trench run has some very similar shakeycam moments as do some of the scenes in ESB and ROTJ. Then there was the massive Coruscant battle in ROTS. So there is some precedent, not quite like this particular shot, but very similar in style and I think more people would be saying something if it *wasn't* moving about to some degree.

And yes, the contrails and dust kicked up were awesome! Reminds me a lot of Howard Hughes' work "Hell's Angels" where he would reshoot it multiple times to make sure that there was enough cues in the background to suggest motion. This can be done only so well in space, the change to a land/sky based fight is a most welcome one, IMO.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Tch, a few old familiar spaceships zooming about for a few seconds and everyone becomes a squealing fanboy/girl. :p

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    7 seconds for the falcon tracking shot. I don't think there's a single fx shot in nu Trek that holds for more than 1 or 2 seconds. the SW teaser trailer already has a longer attention span than all of nu Trek, so at least we know Abrams is capable of making a few adjustments.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, that saber looks dumb.

Anyway, it's mostly just faces and things flying around so other than it being an overly recycled OT I don't know what got people so excited. I remember the TPM and RotS trailers being more exciting-- and way more exciting than the movies themselves.

Debo and Darth_Invidious like this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I think because we were already familiar with the story and characters. With this it's a bit more of a who cares, because we don't know who we're supposed to care for.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    i'm so glad the teaser didn't trot out the withering original cast members for their "NOT TOO CLOSE!" ups.

13. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    i dunno guys...

14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I don't know about you guys, but the MF's obviously spotted some Olive Garden soggy breadsticks in that teaser!

15. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Only after a few rounds of the unlimited pasta. The MF has some junk in the trunk if ya know what I mean, and I ain't talking about the cargo hold.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

Is this a Carrie Fisher joke?

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Falcon wasn't flying casual. It's not my Star Wars. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998

Did I mention her at all?

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    No I was just putting 2 + 2 together.

20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    How can it be a Carrier Fischer joke if there is no reference to cocaine?

You're clearly spending too much time with Tunes.

21. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I wasn't really in awe...it did however made me tilt my head a little as I thought, heh not bad. but I gotta admit the falcon shot was exciting to watch. other than that, I didn't care much of anything else.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This looks like a clip--albiet with appropriately updated graphics--that could be taken from the period between ESB and ROTJ. That could either be a wonderful or an awful thing. I absolutely don't want a retread of the same story we already had, and which wasn't even novel the first time. Nor do I just want a lift of "iconic" imagery. But including these elements doesn't mean that the story will take such a route.

All that we can conclude from the trailer is that this will probably look pretty. That's been true even in the worst entries. Not sure what else there is to say at the moment.

24. Darth Side of the Moon

Darth Side of the Moon Jedi Master star 1

Jun 14, 1999
    So is the lightsaber intended to mimic a claymore, or is the apparent crossguard more of an exhaust for the seemingly unstable crystal/beam? It looks more like two welding flames.

(wow, it's been 9 years and I totally just slipped back into 2SA/3SA geek mode.)

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    And you're somehow getting 5 as a result. I have no idea what you are getting at here. My comment was about the Falcon looking differently, specifically with the rear of it being right there in the camera. It has nothing to do with your accusation that I was somehow (in a way that still puzzles me) making fun of Ms Fisher and I find your comment to be trollish and in incredibly poor taste.