main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I would be fine with this. It obviously opens up the doors for all sorts of plotlines since, presumably, the Republic would have experienced centuries of peace.

But if Disney wanted to take another crack at Vader's story, I would love it. Just scrap the prequels and get Vader's story done right. Not to mention the financial incentive of having a good director, credible actors and the Vader mask on the screen again is probably too lucrative to resist.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i now have a scant 3 years to destroy capitalism if i want to prevent a new star wars film... a daunting task

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Fox claims the new movies "will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," "

That's news to me, though it's not unlike Fox to get things wrong.

Depending on who the US elects President next week, that job might be done for you :p

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There's nothing about that in the press release or the Lucas video. We know nothing about the plot: anything said by Fox is speculation.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Surely Hamill, Fisher and Ford are too old to do more Star Wars? Hamill looked dreadful the last picture I saw of him... And I doubt Harrison would even want to be involved.

I do think the new movies will inevitavly contain the R2 and 3PO, but beyond that I think the characters will be entirely new.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They aren't too old to be in it, but having them as main characters who fly around fighting and whatnot I don't think would really work.
    Nothing wrong with them having cameos though if they want to be part of it, though I doubt they will.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You mean "Scouring of the Shire"? Yes, please! :D

:p

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes, they all hate money.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd rather they do it because they want to, rather than doing it because someone offers them loads of money. If they are roped into it when they don't really have much interest then the performances are less likely to be good.

I would hope this new trilogy is at least mainly about someone called Skywalker, then even if it stops being The Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker it can be The Skywalker Saga.

The PT is about Anakin Skywalker
    The OT is about Luke Skywalker
    The ST is about _____ Skywalker

It bridges nicely that way

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Also depends if Disney will let them, as they will exert overbearing control over the films, right?

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't really want to see old Han and Leia. Old Indy and Marion was mindscarring enough. :(

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Won't Disney be the one footing the money for all the movies? If so they will be the ones deciding wether to pay large amounts to tempt Hamill & co back.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Agreed, or a Distant prequel. They could hardly call it eps 0. -1, -2. But there's no reason to thing this so-called "Episode 7" need be a direct sequel to ROTJ ) or even set after it.

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    My hope is that a new Star Wars movie would include no previously used character from any Star Wars medium. We're talking about an entire galaxy here; let's not focus on the same ten characters.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That's fine if it is a totally seperate movie, if it is not it should link in some way to the previous ones.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I agree that a distant prequel/sequel would be the best option, but I doubt that the titles "Episode 7, 8, & 9" could apply to anything other than a near-future continuance of the Skywalker saga. What else could Lucas & Disney be referring to?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't think that should be a given. Chronological order should be more or less assumed but, given that the original ST outline was compressed into Episode VI, we can't really assume the passage of time to be that short.

I wasn't looking to Legacy when I thought about the distant sequel, but to the Dune sequels. All part of the same saga, yet set thousands of years apart. And it's not like Lucas hasn't raided Dune's closet before.

SithLordDarthRichie and jp-30 like this.
  18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Mainly what I don't want is some adaptation of existing EU(because it's awful) or "everyone is old now but we're still doing everything we used to do". Having mention of the previous events is fine, but the story of Luke and Co. has ended. That was their story, and there's nothing left of it. Please let's all move on.

JoinTheSchwarz and ophelia like this.
  19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    "I'm too old for this Sith..."

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I agree with JTS that the best option would be a completely new story with new characters.

If the Fox article is correct (which I doubt) then I wouldn't assume just because Luke, Han and Leia are involved that Mark, Harrison and Carrie would be too.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    :rolleyes::oops:I spend a fair few posts demolishing a similar idea of yours, regarding if Disney want Toy Story 4 but PIxar aren't interested. Either go back and read those, or look up subsidiary structures on Wikipedia.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree that any new movie shouldn't be an attempt at adapting EU books into movies, there is no need to do that. The EU exists as it is outside of the movies, the movies are the true canon and if it is decided that some of the EU established stuff has to overwritten in the movies thanthat is what should be. It's happened plenty of times before.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Bollocks. Everything is connected. If you don't think there will be / should be links between the existing movies and the new ones, you're deluded.

But that doesn't mean the new ones need to be set in the same times as the existing movies.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    KOTOR is not connected to the movies, it's just a story set in the same universe. The Clone Wars movie is not Episode 2.5, it is a seperate movie (although it follows on from one of the movies and features some of the same characters)

If the new movie is Episode VII then it should link with the storyline of Episodes I-VI, if they want to make it about the criminal Underworld with none of the previous movie characters it will link simply by the fact it is a Star Wars Universe movie

25. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    What you got against old people? If we're lucky then one day you will be old. I was watching Tokyo Story a few weeks ago and in that movie the old people were awesome, the young people were the ones that sucked.:p