main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST (SPOILERS) DISCUSSION ABOUT JJ'S DIRECTION FOR THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DanSolo31, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanSolo31

DanSolo31 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    So this has really been bothering me (probably way more than it should). I am very surprised there isn't more uproar about how JJ pretty much disregarded the original trilogy. He took an ICONIC couple and dismantled them. So who cares now about the infamous "I Know" scene....now that we know of their fate, it means nothing because they have a kid, the kid turns bad, they break up, the kid kills the dad. Making Han's existence meaningless. Making Han & Leia's iconic relationship meaningless.

And to me, it seems like an enormous waste to choose not to have Luke Leia and Han in at least one scene together. I would have loved to see that scene. I know JJ wanted this trilogy to be dark and all but he may have went a little too far. This may as well be a totally different movie than Star Wars because although he kind of returned Han to his scoundrel roots, he totally wiped out the friendship between the three originals. I don't know, as I said, this bothers me ALOT and even more after i watched Empire again.

Am I alone on this? Am I wrong to think that the original trilogy isn't about the friendship and relationship of the characters? And then after Kylo turns bad, Luke gets so upset that he leaves? That doesn't sound like him to me. Why not regroup and figure out how to stop him? Instead they all go their separate ways. And i mean at LEAST make Han's death mean something...be a heroic death or something...rather than him trying to get his son back to the light after all he's done. It was just used as a stepping stone to make Kylo the big baddie and for Harrison to not be in any more movies. I would have much rathered not see him in the movie at all and just mention him. Than to see him go like that.

this is not what the original trilogy portrayed. It showed they could get through anything together. All 3 of them. It just really bothers me that the history of these characters i came to love in the originals is just too damn dark. To give han and leia an evil kid was just a horrible idea. It didn't have to be all happy but to have them split apart after all we saw them go through and not even come back together is just absurd in my eyes. Way too doom and gloom and they deserved better. Also a wasted opportunity. Why not have the kid turn bad, keep them together still, then have han die, it would've been MUCH sadder and tragic that way. I can't believe I am the only one who sees it this way. It amazes me. I guess I had my hopes set way too high to see them all together again.

For me, unfortunately I hate to say it, but star wars is kind of ruined for me now because of how much I admired the relationship of the characters. I can't be the only one can I?

UK Sullustian likes this.
  2. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I don't see how you can feel that way after seeing this movie. Hell, we wouldn't have this movie if not for Han and Leia's relationship. This movie did amazing things with the characters, taking them in unexpected, and brave directions. I look forward to seeing more of their son, who is now officially a full on bad guy, and Leia's role as the leader of the Resistance.

3. jetsdude

jetsdude Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2015
    100% agree. And not only that but lets give them 0 chemistry and magic like they had in the originals, and we'll just have them recite the same lines under the same plot. Literally the exact same plot as ANH. Abrams should have distanced himself from the originals way more, he botched it in my opinion. It wreaked of a guy who says he's a huge star wars fan, yet only watched them once or twice...sort of like he did with Star Trek.

4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    headcanon's a bitch

5. DanSolo31

DanSolo31 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015

it's nice to see i'm not alone in this haha....definitely in the minority though. I don't even mind that it's similar to ANH...but it's just that he botched the chemistry between the heroes we love. I can't watch the originals the same anymore.. it sucks.

6. Mugwuffin

Mugwuffin Jedi Knight

Dec 3, 2012

You must be entirely blind if you didn't see the connection between these two characters and the love they clearly still have for each other. Yes, they aren't together but they lost a child to the darkness and they even state "We dealt with it in our own way.".

Han nervously waiting for Leia to walk off the shuttle, Leia saying she hated seeing him leave, the hug they share & most importantly the moment Han dies... Leia feels it.

Anyway this trilogy isn't about the OT characters, they're supporting cast.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Your not the only one but JJ is not a talented difrector at all. Just a spoiled rich kid who had business connections became a tv then movie director then proceeded to remake movies (badly I might add) he loved as a child in the 1980's :rolleyes:

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Dunno, I never thought at the end of ROTJ that Han & Leia's relationship would last forever and that they never would have troubles. I thought their love for each other shone through in TFA and I felt deeply for both of them. That is more than I wished for.

9. DanSolo31

DanSolo31 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015

and that is why i don't agree with this movie. The originals were built on this special bond they shared. That bond was destroyed completely. JJ could have done so much better than he did. I am shocked he chose this route for the characters. Funny thing is, if you take out the original characters, i'd love the movie.

The originals were just fan service

10. Abstracttharmony

Abstracttharmony Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2015
    You don't fall in love, marry someone and have kids thinking 'I'll give this 5 years (or whatever) and then bugger off". Life happens, events happen (such as the loss of child - the most devastating thing that can ever happen to a parent) that render a relationship break.

It's never pretty, it's never planned, it just happens. That is real life.

Painful.

For me this actually heightens the relationship we see in the OT. Massively.

11. DanSolo31

DanSolo31 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    Ok but I don't watch movies to watch real life events. Especially not STAR WARS! That's the point I'm trying to make. I know that happens in real life, but to do that to HAN AND LEIA????? cmon! they deserved so much better!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.