main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Spoilers) Favorite Moments from the Crystal Skull and why?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Charlemagne19, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    So, what moments for you were "Pure Indy" and that you loved best.

For me, it was Indiana Jones staring up at the Nuclear Blast's Mushroom Cloud. That moment said so much about the changing world, more than anything like the Flying Saucers and changing nature of politics under the threat of communism might.

It was a realization that the world had now developed power every bit as destructive as the Ark's envisioned strength for Hitler might.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    My favorite moment was Indy being pulled of the back of Mutt's motorcycle into the back of the KGB agent's car, throwing a few punches then climbing out the other window onto the back of Mutt's motorcycle and having his feet dragging the ground until Mutt's stops so he can hop back on. I think I loved that more then anything.

3. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    "I have a bad feeling about this"

I had to laugh when Indy said that.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Can't pick anything definitive after one viewing, but a few things that stuck out:

- Mutt's intro followed by the motorcycle chase. Pure Indy, both in terms of the quieter character exposition as well as blazing adrenaline.

- The Saucer Men from Mars reference. Ever since I heard about that script I was sold on the idea of the next Indy film having an alien motif to it.

- The end when the ship takes off, and Indy stays out in the open to watch it while the others take up a more covered position. Great lead-in to the line about knowledge being the real power, as well as a powerful image in general of the brave adventurer wanting to experience the inexplicable before it slips away (as he knows it will).

- Indy snatching the hat from Mutt. Maybe I should have, but I honestly didn't see it coming. It seems kind of obvious (not to mention perfect) looking back, though. Indy will always be Indy.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I actually kind of loved the wedding scene at the end, and of course Indy snatching his fedora from Mutt's hands. It's just the perfect way to wrap things up, regardless of whether or not they make another one. :)

6. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

I agree, it also shows that Indy is not ready to pass on the reigns yet. Maybe thats a good lead in for Indy 5: Indy finally handing over the ropes and the hat to Mutt.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    At the moment, I go with Indy snatching his hat back as my favorite too.

It just filled me with such joy to see Harrison suggest he wasn't done with the hat yet.

A strong second was the whole doomstown bit.

My favorite new character is the one played by Cate Blanchett. [face_love]

8. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I liked when Indy used the Crystal Skull just to get his hat from the ants.

I also liked the tribute to his father and Marcus, and I loved when Indy tells Spalko to be careful what she wishes for....

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Hmm this is a tough one, because i havent seen this movie enough :p[face_laugh], but off the top of my head, the moments that stood out for me were:

- The Mutt/Indy motorcycle chase: it's bound to become a classic... i looooved when they entered the library and splattered all over the floor, then calmy got up and professor Jones had time to reply to the student [face_laugh]

- The snake moment: Harrison's face was too funny "Say grab the rope!" [face_laugh]

- The interdimensional aliens taking off on their ship, and Indy just stood there marveled =D=

- The ending: when i saw the hat land right by Mutt's feet i was like uh oh, he's gonna pick it up and be the next Indy, but then Indy just grabbed it, as if saying "Not yet kid" [face_laugh]

10. Kapoof

Kapoof Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2008
    Aaaah, the quicksand scene was pure gold. I was wondering how and when he'd find out who Mutt was, and i sure didn't expect it to happen there. Then Mutt brings the snake, which was hilarious. Then Ox brings "help". It's the only moment i was pretty much double over with laughter, and i guess i didn't expect to find anything in the movie to be THAT funny.

I really loved the entire jungle chase. I thought it was so clever, with the sword fight between vehicles. Inira using the gun on the front of Marion's vehicle. Ya know... i even liked the vine swinging! (which i know lots of people have complained about). Then you go from that to the Ants? I thought it was all just brilliant and fun action. It's been a long time since a single action scene like that had me grinning foolishly in my seat. Indiana Jones at it's finest.

And of course, Indy snatching the hat at the end.

I REALLY want Indy V. I think there's great potential still, and Ford's still got it for the time being so they should do it while they can.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That was fun. I almost wish they'd included a scene that is in the novelization which extends the motorcycle chase to have them interrupt the college football game... but I can see that it might not have worked so well on the screen.

12. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002

I guarantee you we will see that scene on the DVD.

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    My absolute favourite moment was an odd little one - when Indy is trying to bring Oxley back to himself and says "You're Harold Oxley. You were born in Leeds, England . . ."

I live in Leeds and saw it at my local multi. The entire cinema went bananas at that line :D

14. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Some bits I enjoyed:

*The hat almost being taken away by ants :p That amused me greatly, not to mention the person next to me in the theatre was muttering worriedly "No, no! They can't take the hat"

*One I'm sure most enjoyed: The snake rope :D I was near hysteria when Mutt kept throwing the snake at Indy's face, and Indy's horrified expression

*The greaser/jock fight in the diner, it set the time period perfectly and was absolutely hilarious.

*Shia's expression whenever Indy and Marion got close :p

*Shia/Cate swordfight. 'Nuff said.

*"I've got a bad feeling about this" [face_laugh] Classic.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So it was actually filmed, then?

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just saw it this morning at the local cinema. I liked the whole alien bit at the end. Funnily enough I was flipping through the comic of the film at a bookstore afterwards and it showed the ship more as looking like a glass ball. I prefer the 'flying saucer'. I thought that whole sequence with the skeletons merging and the takeoff was great!

'Doomtown' was pretty good as well. And the whole fight sequence.

I did like the 'duck' going down the waterfalls as well. I've been on a larger version of that type of craft up in London. They have a tour that goes from dry land into the Thames on an amphibian craft. Much fun if it's warm out!

17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    If memory serves, it wasn't filmed. Last year there were some online reports from New Haven about extras being cast as football players then they were told the football stadium scene had been cut and they would not be needed. It was suppose to be filmed but never was. However it's possible they intended to pick it up later back in California. As far as I know I don't think it was ever filmed.

18. Senator_Lorena

Senator_Lorena Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    The part that stands out to me after seeing the movie once is the part where Indy, Marion and Mud are held captive in the back of a truck. It picks up right after Mutt learns the truth of his paternity and Marion and Indy argue, getting negative attention from the Russian guard. They continue to argue through the guard's trying to gag Marion and they all use the opportunity to overcome the guard -- all while they were still arguing.

I also like the part where he tells Marion the problem with the other women in his life was they were not her. So sweet coming from such a tough guy! [face_love]

19. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Anything with Marion and Indy. They have such a great chemistry together.

I loved the jungle chase scene and the waterfall bit. In fact, all the chase scenes were great.

I also have to admit that I like the part where Mutt swings on the vines. That, along with him leading the way through the temple and picking up the hat at the end, really showed how he's beginning to follow in his father's footsteps. Nice touches, IMO.

There were a lot of great parts and I can't wait until it comes out on DVD and we can really examine it.

20. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002

I was always under the impression that it was. I guess well know when the DVD comes out.

21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Seeing the opening credits, once again.

And the conversation about Mutt that Indy and Marion have while sinking.

22. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Without question...

Indy snatching the hat. Nothing comes close.

23. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I could probably list a hundred. But instead, I'll give you a "top ten" list.

1. As the doors to the Area 51 Warehouse open, John William's begins the Ark theme from Raiders, which was the perfect way to musicalize that moment. Especially since the ark is inside. :cool:

2. Spalko's sword jumping up very ERECT during the magnetization. What a brilliant visual joke, especially for such a "butch" female character.

3. The atomic mushroom cloud shot with Indy in the frame. Telling us Indy is now a part of the post-war, nuclear age. Fantastic, iconic imagery.

4. They paid homage to Marcus Brody several times with the picture, statue and the head landing in the guy's lap. I liked it that they didn't forget Marcus. Or Sean Connery.

5. The line, "be careful what you wish for" from Indy to Spalko. I knew then she was gonna get fried somehow. [face_devil]

6. The entire quicksand scene was written, staged and performed superbly. And what better place in an Indiana Jones film for a major character revelation than in the middle of a life and death situation? Just perfect. Spielberg and Lucas really are master filmmakers.

7. Mutt's entire outfit, hair, comb, knife, motorcycle and jacket, all from Marlon Brando in the Wild Bunch. His character defined immediately, and a great contrast to Jones. As soon as he said he'd taken fencing at prep school, I knew he'd be in a sword fight at some point in the film. :D

8. The skull jumping from Spalko's hands up to the skeleton. And then later, the skeleton's all merging into ONE.

9. Indy grabbing his hat from Mutt. Not yet, kid.

10. The spectacular final shot of the valley, showing the power and destruction of the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, with Indy watching on, along with us the audience.

What a film! Can't wait to see it again MANY times, and buy the DVD. :)

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You mean The Wild One. Brando wasn't in The Wild Bunch, which is actually a western.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Thanks for the correction, yes I meant the WILD ONE. It's a great film by the way. :cool: And thanks for taking the time to read my top ten list so carefully. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.