main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Spoilers) Favorite Moments from the Crystal Skull and why?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Charlemagne19, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I did notice that on my 1st viewing, albeit barely. It really is a "blink and you'll miss it" detail in that shot.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Just some more random little things I liked:

When the stuffed puppy bursts into flames when the Atomic Bomb goes off.

Spalko yelling "JONES!" as she is driven away in her jeep.

The area of light around Ox's eyes when he says "Henry."

The fact that Area 51 was only guarded by five soldiers at the front gate.

The KGB agent getting smacked in the face with Anti-Soviet protest signs.

The prairie dogs.

3. jedijason330

jedijason330 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    I liked those as well. I just don't understand what was so bad about them. Cute little critters. Just seemed funny to me.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, it's really neat to hear. I especially like the way Williams composed it for the end credits. You have the Raiders March in its regular intonation in low brass and the newer theme(presumably Mutt's) dueling along with it an octave up.

Hmm...I missed the "I like Ike" written on the bomb. I'm going to see it again this afternoon, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

5. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    Three times it drops has now become an inside joke in my family. My parents saw it the other day and my father found humor in three times it drops. So now anytime anything drops, it has to drop twice more. :rolleyes:

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Tiny detail I thought was funny--I rewatched "Raiders" today, just for the hell of it, and Indy is assigning his class chapter 4 in "Michaelson" as Marcus pulls him out of his classroom. The board says "Michaelson chs. 4 & 5."

"Chapter four in Michaelson" is what Indy tells his class to review when the new dean pulls him out of class in "Crystal Skull."

Uhh . . . Dr. Jones? It's been like 20 years. You might wanna update your syllabus. :p That, or you might want to drop that Michaelson book, 'cause you know you're never going to get your students past chapter 4.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You know what's sad? I haven't seen Raiders since about October and the FIRST time I saw Skull I was like, "Haha, he's still assigning Michaelson" :-B

I nudged my brother at that point but he just looked at me like I'm crazy. Apparently not everyone remembers every inane detail :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, I'll join this crowd of people nerdy enough to catch that. :p Though to be fair, I had just rewatched Raiders two days before.

9. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I wonder if Indy ever bothered to grade those papers from The Last Crusade.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    That is NOT an inane detail! ;) It's Indy! :cool:

I noticed it too. [face_blush]

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    One of my favourite moments was when I realised my speculation in this thread from early February was pretty close to the mark (even if the rag covered skull wasn't the same one from the warehouse)!

I also rate Indy's turnaround on Mutt's education once he discovers he's his son as one of my favourite Indy moments across all 4 films.

12. Kapoof

Kapoof Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2008
    A bunch of random, smaller stuff i like. Just because i keep thinking of the movie and feel like posting.

- "Whoa". "Whoa".... "W H O A !"

- "Say 'grab the rope'!" *Mutt and Marion look at each other, then back to Indy in the sand pit. [face_plain]... "Grab the rope".

- Indy has just found out that Mutt is his son, and says "Get rid of that thing! ... son". (ah hell, the whole sand pit thing is golden)

- Awesome shot of Indy running along the ceiling planks up in the Area 51 warehouse.

- The look Mutt gives after Indy is pulled off the motorcyle into the Russian's car. Kinda like "did that just happen?"

- When Mutt kicks the knife to Indy and it lands on his shoulder. Just a really funny little shot.

- When Mutt interrupts Indy and Marion's kiss by slapping a skeleton into Indy's arms and saying "Here, hold this!"

- When Irina is talking about the Russian plans for psychic warefare while Indy looks into the Skull, this one shot of her with all kinds of crazy lens flares from the background lights. Classic Spielberg. Actually, there's literlly dozens of amazing shots in Indy IV.

That's all for now.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    My favorites were:

"Why didn't you make him finish school!?"

The motorcycle chase (the library part where a student asks him a question is priceless)

The Flying Saucer launching and Indy looking in awe

Mutt fencing and his mom telling him how to put his footing while in the middle of a fight

Indy explaining why it wasn't quicksand

Indy grabbing the hat from Mutt at the Church

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Lots of good observations here. I like that someone pointed out that Michaelson bit. I totally missed it, even after having watched the first 3 Indy movies just a couple of days before the midnight showing.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    After the switchblade lands on Indy's shoulder, it slips off and both Mutt and Indy say "Oh no!" or similar. Next second Indy's cutting everyone free. What was that all about?

I loved the Marlon Brando Wild One entrance of Mutt on the bike. And the parallels to American Graffiti in the opening sequence.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Me too [face_laugh] I felt like it was indicative of the fact that the boys (Steven/George/Harrison) all now have grown kids of their own ;)

Yeah, um, I'm wondering what the heck was with the 'oh noes' moment when Indy cuts himself free, too :confused: It was like he was supposed to have ripped something wrong or dropped the knife, but nothing came of it and I don't get it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I liked the little ways Indy's becoming more like his dad:
    calling Mutt Junior at the end
    frowning during the campus chase
    more prof than adventurer now
    even his "You brought a knife to a gun fight" line was also spoken by Connery in The Untouchables

Henry Jones III also having a dog nickname

Does Indy not use the name "Indiana" all that much anymore? It seems like everyone calls him Henry, Jones or Jonesy.

I also liked Indy trying to save Mac at the end, much like with Elsa at the end of TLC, shows he's not particularly vindictive and sees the good even in someone who's backstabbed him

18. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The warehouse fight (I got a real kick out of Mac shouting "You don't know him!")
    Indy looking at the mushroom cloud (though I thought the fridge sequence was stupid.)
    The red scare subplot (wish there was more to that) and hearing about Indy's WWII service.
    The motorcycle chase.
    Marion's first line.
    Quicksand sequence.
    "None of them were you."
    "Jonesy!" *Punch*
    Indy snatching the fedora from Mutt's hands.

19. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    1. Indy/Henry and Marion getting married and Indy and Marion's love theme playing during this. They belong together. [face_love]

2. Indy's hat blowing to Mutt's feet, Mutt picking it up and starting to put it on his head and Indy taking it from him and at the last instant and putting it on his head instead as Indy and Marion are walking by as a married couple and the Indy theme playing with great timing to this scene. :cool:

3. "They weren't you, Honey." The lead up to this line, Indy saying this line and Marion's reaction to this line (great reaction from her and totally fitting for her) and then Indy escaping and saving the day, once again and the music. =D=

4. The opening warehouse scene at Area 51 (including the music), especially the first time Indiana Jones turns that allows his face to be seen (classic INDIANA JONES) and Indiana Jones using the wip. :cool:

5. Marions reaction to seeing Indy, Indy's reaction to seeing her, the reveal that she is Mutt's mother and Indy's reaction to finding out. :D

6. The ants scene. Especially the Indy and Dovchenko fight and the ants taking Dovchenko to their nest and Irina Spalko crushing the ant with her knees [face_mischief] and Indy using the crystal skull to get his hat back from the ants :cool:.

7. The flying saucer coming out of the ground and then suddenly disappearing and the debris hovering then suddenly falling and the water rushing in while Indy watches all this take place. :eek:

8. The mororcycle chase (including the music). Indy punching, Indy being pulled into the car, Indy climbing out of the car back onto Mutt's mororcycle, Indy having trouble getting seated and Mutt using the breaks to remedy this. Mutt smiling after what happens to the KGB and the statue of Brody while Indy does not {along the lines of INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE and it's morotcycle chase and Indy smiling in satisfaction with his actions and the results and his father not smiling). :D Also, nice use of the Wilhelm scream. ;)

9. The sand pit. The reveal that Indy and Mutt are father and son by Marion and Indy's reaction and the use of the snake and Indy's reaction. :D

10. Indy coming out of nowhere and blowing the poison dart in the opposite direction in time to save Mutt. :cool:

And many more, including Indiana Jones saying "I have a bad feeling about this." ;)

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    One moment that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is a part that was included in the teaser, but apparently removed from the international version of the teaser: the moment when the trucks are crossing the gate of the Area 51 installations and the camera quickly goes past the American flag. [face_flag]

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, I doubt that rates as a Favourite Moment for many. And it definitely was in the print of the movie I saw.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I couldn't figure out the knife drop "oh no" thing either.

Maybe it was supposed to be more at one point, but it seems the oh no was that it fell and it wasn't immediately obvious that Indy caught it.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It was removed internationally from the trailer only, not from the movie itself. Knowing that it's definitely in the final movie is very nice. [face_flag]

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ah, sorry, misread your post. It was still something I would not rate as a favourite moment though.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, I can understand for those who don't live in the U.S. We don't have very many things to be proud at this moment. But in 1957, the U.S. had just about saved the world, thanks to its joining the fight against the Nazis. We had the moral high ground, during those years after WW2 and before Vietnam. So in the context of the movie, it's nice to see the American flag completely fill the frame for just a couple of seconds... [face_flag]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.