main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Spoilers in the Media*

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Queenie Amidala, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    As requested by our good mod, farraday, this is a thread intended for posting spoilers in the media: on TV, toys, cereal, etc...all the stuff we have previously been reporting in the ***SPOILER ALERT*** thread.

Please reserve that thread for posting about spoilers in the forums. This will make the moderators jobs much easier.

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well most people already know this, but I flipped through the Time Magazine article yesterday, and yes, if you are spoiler sensitive, give that on a miss. It was all stuff I already knew, or could figure out for myself, but other people should probably be careful.

3. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Thanks for starting this thread, Queenie!

From the other thread, the things to avoid are:

• The Toy commercial

• Anakin (Duel) action figure

• Tusken Female action figure

• Zam Wesell action figure

• Jar Jar Binks action figure

4. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Try to not look at the two smallest LEGO sets. The names are even spoilers, the box covers are worse.

The rest are fine, provided you've seen all of the trailers.

5. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I think the reason these things are so spoilerish is because the advertising department of Lucasfilm is advertising as if the film had already come out, as if we had seen everything and were now foaming at the mouth for the toys. The trouble is we haven't seen the film yet. It's standard practice to jump the gun a few weeks before release. Also, Star Wars films itself are very spoilerish by their nature, like no other films.

Unfortunately, at the same time, Lucasfilm has to advertise early (look at Spiderman, the toys are all out too), to build anticipation for the big day, May 16th. If they showed these toy commercials and merchandise after May 16th, it would be a little too late. They would lose a potential wave of casual filmgoers who don't know squat about Star Wars, but are willing to start.

So my point is even though the commercials/toys are *officially* released early, it doesn't mean they are 100% safe and that Lucas wanted you to see them early. Someone told me Lucas doesn't even have time to approve of everything in the ad/merch department, so maybe some spoilers get leaked earlier than even he would've liked or doesn't even know about.

6. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I totally agree. It's so easy for us to get so upset by being spoiled by a toy and whatnot that we forget the overall purpose. The toys (and much of everything else, for that matter) were not created to be spoiler-free. They are intended to be toys to play with, modeled after the movie, it's characters and plot lines. What crummy toys they would be if they had no charisma.

So, the hard part falls un us, the faithful unspoiled. We just have to wait a couple extra weeks to check them all out.

Or, you could be like me and open them up anyway and get yourself spoiled. But, I don't recommend it. ;)

7. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Ok, thanks for cbjedi to pointing me here. This is just to alert y'all.

If you really want to stay spoiler free, do not, go to the Official Site. The front page is riddled with spoiler pics. Proceed around online with caution!

EDIT: I just took out the bolding. Didn't think it was necessary.

8. Bucky

Bucky Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2002
    This may not be a spolier for some, but it sure was for me. Do not read the Entertainment Tonight First look on the ET website. It had some info that I could have gone without seeing.

This was the first (in my mind) major spoiler I had seen. Almost made it...So close... :(

Of course, it was probably fault for even going to the site...but I am foaming at the mouth for anything Star Wars to whet my appetite.

Bucky...out

9. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    Thanks for the heads up on the ET thing. I was about to go read through it too!

10. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Okay, so I'm hearing some of y'all say the Action Figure commercial is very spoilerish.

Now, I've seen all of the other commercials on TF.N, all the trailers, and I know some of the toy spoilers (ie, the Anakin HD).

So, that being said, is it still unsafe for me to watch the Action Figure commercial? I downloaded it, I just have not watched it.

11. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    If you're not going to look at the toys, I wouldn't watch the commertial.

Otherwise, I don't see much spoilerish about it.

12. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Okay. Well, um...can you (in a non-spoiler fashion) tell me which toys it spoils?

:D

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    It mentions the name of a figure that is spoilerish. I really don't want to say more, if you want to know more, PM me.

14. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Hmm...okay. I won't touch it, then.

Thanks a bunch.

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    If you don't want to know anymore about the origin of the clonetroopers, don't read the back of the Frito Lay bags that show them. I don't know if what it said was EU or in the movie, but it's best to avoid those.

BTW, where are there spoilers in the OS front page? All I see are illustrations of some of the characters. Some of the pics are new, some of them old, but none of them are revealing.

16. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    You know, I am about as spoiled for this movie as I was for Phantom Menace, meaning I tried to be spoiler free, but especially in the few weeks before the film, the trailors, the toys, the tv and print media, spoilers just come naturally to the star wars enthusiast.

That's the thing, if we weren't all Star Wars fans, then a lot of the stuff that we think of as spoilers wouldn't really spoil the general public, since they wouldn't have nearly as much background knowledge to be able to put the "spoilers" to any real use in their minds, the general public probably won't be spoiled by the toys because they wouldn't even notice them, or the soundtrack, and even reading the articles, without this constant thinknig about star wars and theorizing, most people woudn't be able to put two and two together as well as us.

The point of the ramble is, only because we know so much about Star Wars already do these official merchandizing things "spoil" us.

17. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    That is so very true.

I came to realize that not too long ago concerning the toys. I was very upset to open up my little Anakin figure and find a spoiler. "Why would they put spoilers in the toys like that?!"...I wanted to know. But, then I realized...why wouldn't they? Who wants a figure that is boring and does not pertain to the movie in any way? I know I do not. These toys (and everything else) are meant to be derived from the film. It's up to us whether or not we play with them 3 weeks before the film comes out.

My mother said the other day, something to the effect of: "Whatever happened to just watching a movie for the fun of it? Why do you have to analyze everything and completely pick it apart?" Well, for us, of course, the fun is in analyzing it over and over again. This is what we live for, isn't it? ;) I agree that to ordinary people, the minor details that we try to avoid as "spoilers" would not mean much of anything.

18. Jaina02

Oct 8, 1999
    Does anyone know if the Access Hollywood footage or the Entertainment Tonight footage is safe? I taped them both, but I'm afraid to watch them.

19. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    The ET footage is pretty much fine. Some new footage, and just some talk with Hayden and Natalie about the love story. But none of it is a surprise, presuming you know Anakin becomes Darth Vader. ;)

The AH footage... I forget what was in that. I didn't notice anything new in it, so I deleted the file. But I'm spoiled, so just because it wasn't "new" to me doesn't mean there were no spoilers. Sorry, I just don't remember.

20. Jaina02

Oct 8, 1999
    Thank you! :) I'll stay clear of the AH footage until I get further notice.

21. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Home Theater Forum has a review of AotC (a GREAT review - 5 out of 5, and the reviewer, Ron Epstein, was disappointed in TPM).

But I don't recommend you read it, as it is somewhat spoiler-ridden. Take pleasure (and get excited!) that there seems to be a lot of positive buzz, but be wary! The reviews that will start flooding will be much like this one, I expect - positive but too revealing for those who are trying to stay "pure".

22. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The Anakin Hangar Duel figure is the most evil toy ever. I am so mad. If you do buy it, please do not look on the back of the card.

23. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    The Zam Wessel figure is no better. Avoid that one too. Spoilers on the card. :( I was doing so good staying spoiler free until these last few weeks too!

24. Nismo1223

Nismo1223 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2002
    GOD DAMNIT.....I WAS LOOKING AROUND THE E! WEBSITE AND THEY started talking about Star wars when right in front of me they mention the Anakin hanger duel toy...i didnt thinkn they would say much about him but then a noticed 2 words that made me shut the site down..i didnt read the whole thing but if i read them right...then that majorly blows...omg i really hope i read something wrong..

25. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I know, it sucks. The 3rd Anti-Christ is in the form of plastic, Anakin Hangar Duel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.