main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Spoilers] Inconsistencies with the rest of the saga

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    This is broadly correct. However, I think the way the GFFA is set up socially and politically is simply reflecting "center-periphery" dynamics in modern human political systems on Earth (urban centers and rural peripheries, essentially), and has nothing at all to do with astrobiology. :)

Torib likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't know about the maps that are considered canon, but in my headcanon, the Core is the political center of the galaxy, not the geometric center. The actual core of the galaxy should be a very dangerous place, for all the reasons 1xEleazar mentions, and it ought to be a nightmare to try to navigate hyperspace through there. Let Coruscant be just clear of the outer edge of that area, and that can be the political Core.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's pretty much how it's described in Legends (and canon I believe, but I'm not sure). The "deep core" is considered extremely dangerous to travel, with hyperspace lanes collapsing and things like that.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the most recent maps, like the old ones, show Coruscant as close to, but outside, the central bulge.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    True, but the new maps (see below) still show the "political core" as being much closer to the star-heavy center of the galaxy, while the "political periphery" is on the less star-heavy periphery of the galaxy. This is done for story purposes, IMO, and does not reflect astrobiological concepts of where life would be less tenable.

[​IMG]

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Found one!

In RotS, the Death Star's dish has sections being built.
    [​IMG]

But in Rogue One, the entire dish is being installed as one piece:

[​IMG]

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    In Catalyst, they explain that the dish can be removed to fit the (not yet complete) superweapon itself underneath, or something like that. So while it looks like something of an inconsistency in the films, they actually did think about it.

8. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Ah, didn't know that. I hadn't read Catalyst.

9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm a little over half-way through it right now. It's quite good, and gives a lot of insight into the building of the Death Star. I recommend it :)

10. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Catalyst provides such a great insight into the Death Star building process, its awesome. As someone who was always curious about how exactly it was constructed, I can't recommend this book more! The Geonosis stuff, the super laser construction, the time frame it took (including obstacles on the way), Krennic's flawless inclusion in the continuity and even him interacting with Poggle the Lesser, it's all so well explained. I strongly recommend it to any SW fan!

11. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I wasn't planning on picking it up, but now guys are making me want to.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    That's not an inconsistency. In ROTS, what you see is the slot that the dish fits into. So like a light socket that you fit the light bulb into.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's rather small and close to the equator though - if the dish is supposed to be bigger than the socket, its lower edge would be even closer to the equator, not matching what we see on screen.

Catalyst also has a smaller DS1 (120km compared to 160 km - at least early in the process, when they've created a "polar ring" (like equatorial ring but goes north pole to south pole and back).

Maybe that figure's retconned by Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide - but maybe the Death Star went through a design revision process and ended up with parts of it taken off, and rebuilt bigger.

That might explain why the socket is both small and very close to the equator in ROTS - it's pre-revision.

TCF-1138 and Sarge like this.
  14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    To be fair, the ROTS Death Star construction wasn't even consistent with ROTJ...

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I agree. Remember that nobody has ever built a Death Star before, it's a totally experimental design meant to do something that's never been done before. No doubt during the years it took to build it, there were many modifications to the design as they tried to make it work as intended. It's very rare for a finished product to look exactly like the initial prototype blueprints.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If C-3PO and R2 are on Yavin IV during R1, how do they end up on the Tantive IV with Leia, who was clearly not on the Yavin IV?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Raddus had "already left" the surface of the planet, but he was still waiting in orbit for the fleet to assemble. 3PO and R2 took a shuttle up (assuming at least somebody from the Tantive IV, probably Captain Antilles, was still on Yavin to take them up), docked with the Tantive IV in the Profundity's main docking bay - and then the fleet left.

Jim Smith likes this.
  18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    So I guess my question is why is Leia with the fleet if, per Bail, her objective is to retrieve Kenobi?

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

I didn't know there was a deleted scene where Palpy carries around a life sized wax sculpture of Lyndon B. Johnson.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Tantive IV was still being repaired aboard the Profundity (Rogue One novel) when Raddus got the message from Scarif and decided to go there. Result - before Leia could begin her "retrieve Obi-Wan" mission, she'd gotten taken to ground zero of another one.

21. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    But isn't the implication that Leia is neither on Yavin IV nor with the fleet when they jet off to Scarif? Wouldn't she either be on Coruscant or Alderaan?

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that she was on the Tantive IV, and Bail was planning on sending it to Tatooine instead of leaving it on the Profundity - but (fortunately for everyone in the long run) it wasn't quite ready to leave the Profundity, when the Profundity set off for Scarif.

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Does the novel mention why the Tantive IV needed repairs? That seems bound to have a story about it.

24. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    The DS in RotS has struts going across the dish. The dish itself looks to be partially completed. There's no hole there. In R1 there's a big gaping hole, aka the socket:
    [​IMG]

That's because the Emperor purposely wanted parts of the superstructure exposed in order to lure the Rebellion into a false sense of hope.

25. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

If I were you I'd ignore a lot of crap in the prequels and just enjoy Rogue One.