main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Spoilers] Inconsistencies with the rest of the saga

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, Dec 14, 2016.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm telling you, Vader is into slang. He just means that he watched that coward run really fast.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Vader: Those Rebels are barney.
    Imperial officer: What?
    Vader: Barney. You know, Barney Rubble. Trouble.

3. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Very interesting, I watched the scene over again and Vader doesn't actually say the bolded portion of the script you have there.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yep, this is what I get from trusting IMSDb. It was wrong !

Actual line is:

Don't act so surprised, Your Highness.
    You weren't on any mercy mission this time.
    Several transmissions
    were beamed to this ship by rebel spies.
    I want to know what happened
    to the plans they sent you.

So the only weird little detail, for me, is that Vader says transmissions were beamed to that ship, but I find this easier to accept.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm telling you... just think of "beamed" as "ran really fast". Those troops were certainly beaming in the opposite direction of Vader.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The transmissions are beamed to Profundity, that's why Jyn has to fix the dish, etc. Leia's ship was docked there. Now, Vader may be abbreviating for ease because it was really several transmissions (it's one batch transmission but you notice there's several progress bars when Jyn uploads it) are beamed to the Profundity where they DL it, Vader murders a lot of people but "LAUNCH!!!"

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was in previous drafts, the novelization, and the comic - so it's an understandable mistake.

BigAl6ft6 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    And if you listen to the radio dramatisation Leia's ship heads to a planet under Imperial rule where the plans are beamed to her. This is where the Imperials catch them in the act and the ship makes a run for it.

9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ sounds pretty much like what happened in Rogue One... ;)

10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, technically Scarif is a planet under Imperial rule and the plans were beamed to a mothership that was hosting her ship. So I guess it is ok :p

Of course the folks at Lucasfilm took a lot of care to match the transition, and it worked well IMHO.

If I had to choose, I would keep it like it is now. I love the corridor scene so much

PCCViking, Avnar and Snafu55 like this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What? That has to be a mistake. The clear intent in Rogue One is for the Tantive to escape into hyperspace and when it emerges at Tatooine, the Devastator is right behind it. That's why RO was a direct prequel to ANH.

TX-20, Ricardo Funes, 11-4D and 2 others like this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The 3 week thing is not correct.

Ricardo Funes and Vialco like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed - it was three weeks between her joining the crew and the confrontation above Tatooine.

14. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    But the book implies that she was not part of the crew during Scariff. She knows only what she's heard from the other crew. I hear "Well it's a big ship and maybe she didn't know they were in the biggest battle of the Empire's existence" which to that I say that I HIGHLY doubt that.

15. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Where were these guys in Rogue One?

[​IMG]

Snafu55 likes this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Somewhere else.

Avnar, Snafu55 and EHT like this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. Not everyone in ANH needs to be seen in RO... calling it an inconsistency because someone is very logically elsewhere during the events we do see in RO is pretty pointless, IMO. Also "somewhere else" during RO: Luke, Han, Chewie, and Obi-Wan.

MeBeJedi, TX-20, themoth and 2 others like this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's likely that since the Death Star had only just become fully operational that these guys were brought in to further facilitate on how to go about using it alongside Vader and Tarkin. No point in having your highest ranking round table sitters aboard while it is not yet complete and no decision making up until that point would involve the Death Star. Tarkin was in charge of overseeing it, and he himself had barely taken it over as commanding officer after it became fully operational, so once he did, maybe he brought on board all his other cronies. Or perhaps they were brought on as council as a result of the DS plans being stolen. There's a variety of possibilities on why there were present in ANH but not so in RO.

Snafu55 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the officers sitting in the background may be General Romodi, who did appear in Rogue One. In fact, I think he was the one who informed Tarkin that Scarif was under attack.

As for Motti and Tagge, my headcanon says they were among the officers who observed the destruction of Jedha City, but the focus was rightly on Tarkin and Krennic for that scene.

Lt. Hija and Snafu55 like this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    This. Given the logic and reality of actual military command structures, this is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Among hundreds of others!

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You are right. Romodi is the bald guy in the background - immediately to the right of Tagge's head.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    ZOMG THE EMPIRE HAD NO EMPEROR!!!!! WHERE WUZ HE DURING RO AND ANH??? NOWHERE. THAT'S WHERE.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Whoa, easy there, ACoD, you're going to break my meter!

[​IMG]

24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I know it keeps me up at night.