main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Spoilers] Inconsistencies with the rest of the saga

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Yeah, true dat. But ultimately, it's a distinction without a difference. They did receive a transmission kinda/sorta, though that SPECIFIC ship got the data via a data disk transfer. A slight continuity burble. Given what we get in exchange, I was happy to overlook it.

Qui-Riv-Brid, Satipo and 2Cleva like this.
  2. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014

In theory, the plans were transmitted, vader was this close to grab those transmissions and before he grabbed them, they were intercepted by Tantive IV.

Literally, right in front of him. This line holds up: Where are those transmissions you intercepted?

3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Yes.

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Not in current canon. The old Kyle Kataran games had it in it.

gezvader28 likes this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I like to imagine this comic being canon.

[​IMG]

6. ukdaveuk

ukdaveuk Jedi Knight

Dec 15, 2016
    It does kinda make the empire into morons building another death star with the same weakness as the first. Who designed the second death star then?

7. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

The second DS did not have an exhaust port that linked to the reactor core.

But because it was still under construction, Wedge and Lando were able to fly into the "super-structure" and shoot the reactor directly.

8. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Ever consider that the transmissions that Tantive IV received that Vader referred to were not the plans, but other bits information and data regarding Alliance activity? Just a thought.

Lord TW likes this.
  9. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes, but then there was something off about the Destroyers per se. They certainly didn’t look as forboding as they did in the OT.

I know that they went with the Imperial-1 design rather than the design we came to know and love in ESB/ROTJ.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I thought the Destroyers looked better than ever.

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I suppose a question is why Tarkin isn't already in charge of the station given that he was right there at the end of ROTS in its quick wrap-up montage.

12. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    No one in Rogue One is a 'spy.' Cassian and Jyn in Imperial costumes might be the closest thing, but that whole job was essentially a hit and run. They just grabbed the plans in the middle of a battle while everything was going to ****. Not a lot of spying/espionage.

13. City Councilman Binks

May 7, 2014

IIRC, Tarkin says in RO "I'm going to retake command" or something along those lines.

It jives...

Tan-Wessel and redxavier like this.
  14. stakex

stakex Jedi Master

May 31, 2005
    When you have a prequel like this, its hard to make everything line up just right. With that said, the situation with Leia and the Tantive IV at the end does have some problems. Consider:

1. Why was the Tantive IV even at the battle? Bail Organa said he was going to send "someone he trusts" to find Obi Won and he himself was going to return to Alderaan. Its an open question why he himself wasn't using the ship to return home, it being his ship and all, but even if Leia was using it why wasn't she on her way out to Tatooine?

2. Even if Leia or Cpt. Antilles wanted the ship to participate in the battle, why was it docked with the rebel command ship other than it needed to be to create the excuse for Vader to go on a killing spree?

3. There hasn't been a good answer to R2 and 3PO getting on the Tantive IV. With how Bail spoke about her, his comments strongly suggest she wasn't at the rebel base yet we know she's on the Tantive IV... so that means they swung by to pickup the droids, and then docked with the command ship instead of heading out to find Obi Won? That doesn't make sense.

4. The Vader scene was pretty awesome, but it causes a strong contrast with his actions in ANH. He went all bad ass during the assault on the rebel command ship, but when the assault of the Tantive IV takes place in ANH he doesn't enter the ship until the battle is already over, and does it quite a bit.... calmer. You can invent a reason for that to make sense, but it really doesn't.

5. A lot of the dialogue from ANH is a bit off now. For example, the whole "We're on a diplomatic mission!" statement is complete nonsense... and Vader would have actually respond "Are you ****ing kidding me? I Just watched you flee from the battle over Scarf and I even saw that dude over there pass the plans onto the ship!".

5a. Actually, thinking about it.... why would a ship on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan be all the way out by Tatooine? There really isn't an "official" Galactic map as far as I know, but Alderaan and Coruscant are usually considered Core Worlds.... while Tat is in the outer rim. See the problem?

6. Another piece of dialogue that makes a lot less sense now in ANH is when Vader says "This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, and will soon see an end to the rebellion". That was fine when ANH sort of painted the small band of rebels on Yavin 4 as THE rebellion... but we now know the rebellion was far bigger than just that one base. Vader would have known this too, since the rebel fleet wasn't at Yavin 4. Blowing up the base would have been a blow, but it would hardly have been the end.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    As said, if DS2 had been complete, they wouldn't have been able to fly in and destroy it.

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Cassian is a spy. He's meeting with a contact in the Ring Of Kafrene and again on Jedha just before things go South.

17. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    No issue for me. Leia & Antilles lied bcs they didn't know what Vader knew. A SD appeared in the Tatooine System & attacked them, that's all.

Vader wasn't going to split hairs about the Tantive being a seperate ship that was docked inside the frigate. The frigate/Tantive received the transmission as far as he was concerned.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Dr E also looked very weak to me. I thought this was the only truly bad (and pointless) moment in the film.

Well, remember there was still some doubt as to the veracity of the claims. Until the data could be analysed, no one could be sure they would find Galen's trap.

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
  20. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    Leia shouldn't have been on that flagship.
    Now you're interpreting that scene. Can't you acknowledge that there's a problem?

21. City Councilman Binks

May 7, 2014

Tantive being at this battle makes sense, Vader already puts them there via dialogue in ANH:

When Captain Antilles says that they are in a diplomatic mission, at that point Vader realizes that they are just gonna BS him, so he kills him and demands to see Leia.
    Once he sees Leia, he quickly dismisses her cover by saying "Dont play games me...you are part of the rebel alliance and traitor"

The question on why they didnt participate in the battle, throughout the film, you can sense that the Alliance didnt have a clear focus on how to conduct their resistance.
    One can argue that Leia was there in a "fact finding mission" to present evidence to the senate. Earlier in the film, the alliance alludes to the fact that they need evidence
    to present to the senate. Leia might have been there simply to provide testimony to the senate.

Why isnt Vader going crazy at the beginning of ANH? The urgency was contained. They had the ship, they weren't going anywhere. C3PO says "They shut down our main reactor". Meanwhile
    in RO, the plans were literally on the move from him. It was within his reach.

22. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I believe an explanation for the Tantive being with the fleet at the battle is likely in a deleted scene. In the IMAX trailer I think it was, there's a wide shot of all rebels in the hangar and Bail is among them - this looks likely to be them deciding to go help Rogue One.

At 0:17.

23. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we know for sure that Vader knew the disk had the plans on it. He's just trying to board the Tantive IV, he doesn't necessarily know that the rebel up ahead literally has the plans on his person. So for all Vader knows the transmissions were beamed to the Tantive IV.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  24. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Exactly. Luke was spot on when he told the Emporer "your overconfidence is your weakness!"

25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think I know what's really going on here. Leia's worried that when they analyze the plans they'll get Rickrolled.