main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Spoilers] Inconsistencies with the rest of the saga

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005

Agree. But it would work better if the existence of a weakness were known by fewer people.

2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

That's a good reading. I was thinking this morning how they could have preserved the continuity and still had the big Vader scene. I think they could have done it by acknowledging that the command ship was lost, and looking to transfer the plans to a ship that already left, or was about leave. The race then would if the Rebels could hold off Vader long enough to complete the transfer. We would have lost the spectacular exit of the Tantive IV, though. And I really liked that. :)

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  3. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    The biggest and most obvious inconsistency:

Who won the battle? I would say the Empire did.

And who won the battle at the scientific outpost? It seems like the rebels did.

4. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    The Rebellion won the battle. The main and only objective was to get the plans for the Death Star and the rebels achieved that.

5. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Agree. The crawl says it was a victory, it didn't say the rebels specifically won in a military way. They got what they were looking for and flee and the empire had to blow their own facilities out of desperation.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Actually they accomplished very little on Eadu- they killed Erso who was on their side and Krennic escaped after he killed the engineers that were possibly on their side- What damage and losses Empire had didn't really matter since that outpost served it's purpose already- Attack on Eadu was not even a big battle and both sides actually did more damage to themselves than each other.

Rebels accomplished their objectives with heavy cost so it was a sort of tactical victory in the grand scheme of things

Jedi Merkurian and cerealbox like this.
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They accomplished exactly what they set out to on Eadu and that was to assassinate Galen, it's just that Cassian didn't do it as planned.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Well that was actually stupid plan since Erso was on their side, but entire attack was more like a skirmish than a battle really.

oncafar likes this.
  9. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Regardless of whether it works or not, it presents a very different dynamic come ANH. It is a vastly different scenario to know that a weakness is present, let alone by design, and obtaining the plans in hope that one could be discovered. It was very clear in ANH that they had no prior knowledge of a planted weakness, not just by assumption, but by the very words and tone of the characters.

oncafar and Hernalt like this.
  10. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    All the people who knew about the weakness were dead.

Eternal_Jedi and Darth Downunder like this.
  11. OZQUAD44

OZQUAD44 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I tried to "like it" twice, that was gold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. OZQUAD44

Dec 20, 2015
    Every thing bought up in this thread thus far, isn't a big deal for mine.

Dr evanzan was on the way to his transport, or left as soon as the fighting started on jedha.

R2 and C3PO had ample time to get onto The tantive before it would have been sent to Scarif.

Vader knew the plans were on that ship because of the transmission to the parent ship, how the plans exactly took the last few steps onto Leia's ship would have been less clear. He was busy.... very busy at the time

Capt antillies comments in ANH are easily explained, and Vader responses to him and Leia at the start make lots of sense now.

I think R1 has done a very good job with continuity.

13. Angasboy

Angasboy Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2015

Well if Vader managed to track the Tantive IV to Tatooine, then he could have tracked them to wherever they were going, so maybe it was decided that they didn't want to endanger the rebel base on Yavin IV, rather would seek out Obi-Wan who might just give them a fighting chance against Vader's pursuit. Since the Tantive was aboard the flagship which is assumed to have been taken over by Vader's boarding party, there would have been ample opportunity to put a tracking device on the Tantive a la the Falcon leaving the Death Star in ANH and maybe Antilles recognized this. Vader's line "I've traced the rebel spies to her, now she is my only link to finding their secret base" now makes more sense the context that Vader hoped that by tracking to Tantive, it would lead him to the rebel base.

Vader's line in ANH about the "beaming" and "interception" of the plans is definitely a bit of a stretch but it's not too bad. They were beamed and intercepted by the ship carrying the ship.

EDIT: Also another thought I had was that maybe the Tantive IV a "consular ship" was on board the Mon Calamari flagship for the express purpose of ferrying the plans out of there under the guise of a "diplomatic mission" by the 20 y.o. daughter of a Senator. This would maybe Leia trying to BS more plausible and add more intrigue to the line "Holding her is dangerous, if word of this gets out it could generate sympathy for the rebellion in the senate". I'm not caught up on Rebels but is there any way the Empire would know Leia was "part of the rebel alliance and a traitor"?

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  14. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    They accomplished what they wanted but it was far from a victory.

oncafar likes this.
  15. OZQUAD44

Dec 20, 2015
    R1 does not confirm that Vader actually saw the plans get handed over. Vader was very busy at that point in time. Vader knew exactly why he was there, but can we assume he saw that actual disc? If he did, why didn't he just force grab them? I'm off to watch ANH for the 11 millionth time to see how off those beaming comments are, but I think at worst it's not a big deal.

Noir Deux likes this.
  16. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    I can understand and it makes sense that the Calamari were not on Yavin 4 during the events of ANH, but I can't see why they weren't on Hoth by TESB, unless
    a) they couldn't stand the weather (not a pun)
    b) the Calamari were a ROTJ retcon or joined the Rebellion after TESB, and that means the R1 Calamari are also a retcon

Hernalt and What Are The Odds like this.
  17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Jyn stood in front of Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and the other leaders and told them that her father planted a weakness. None of them are dead.

18. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    This is something we have to live with, but it now seems odd that there were only like 10 TIE fighters(that we see at least) at the Battle of Yavin. Tarkin really looks like a fool. You'd think the station would be on high alert after the Scarif battle.

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Unless the fleet was ready to fight a defensive action, ther is no reason for them to be at Hoth. Nothing says "secret base here" like a large fleet in orbit. No... they would be at some deep space point unlikey to be spotted by the Empire.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Watching ANH right now on TNT. They just escaped the Death Star in the Falcon.

Leia says to Han in the cockpit "I only hope that when the data is analyzed a weakness can be found".

I can't quite recall from RO, but at any point were they made aware that there was in fact a weakness to be found? Wasn't that Jyn's whole reasoning for speaking with the Alliance Council and requesting the go ahead for the mission? They had to have known, otherwise why go through all the effort just for some architectural plans?

21. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001

I would guess they have an idea but Leia herself doesn't. Who knows where she is throughout the film until the ending. She's probably not aware of a specific weakness but realizes the importance of the plans anyway.

22. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    The Alliance knows there is a weakness, they don't know specifically what it is. Galen's message referenced a vulnerability in the reactor, but doesn't spell out how to exploit it. Hence, the weakness still has to be "found" in the plans. So Leia's line in ANH still makes sense.

As for Vader and "beaming," it's a lot easier to just say "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship" than "Several transmissions were beamed to another ship which you were docked with and then transferred over to this one. Sure, it's not 100% technically accurate, but, in the final analysis, transmissions were beamed, they're on the ship now, and that's what matters.

23. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999

In the "Legends" continuity, specifically the third Han Solo Trilogy novel "Rebel Dawn", the Death Star plans were obtained on the planet Toprawa and transmitted to the Tantive IV as it passed through the system. The Rebel team on the ground (including Han Solo's ex girlfriend Bria Tharen) is killed and the planet is brutally enslaved by the Empire as punishment.

24. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The attack of the rebel fleet was a bit spontaneous. Maybe it was not really planned to have the Tantive IV docked, it just happened in the heat of the moment?

During the attack on the DS in EP4 Vader does not hesitate to join the fight with his TIE, maybe Vader wanted to look "classy" when confronting Leia?
    Another reason might be that he was exhausted from the assault on the rebel command ship, despite his powers Vader is still a sick man physically.

25. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    Why was Leia/Tantive IV even there during the attack?
    - It is a last minute military operation and she is an important person. Why risk her life and her cover as a diplomat?
    - Why is she not looking for Bail's old jedi friend as he had instructed?
    - And then why did she take Vader to the 'only hope' as there is always the possibility of Vader tracking them.

All can be answered form a certain point of view, but I don't think RO came up with elegant solutions.

jaqen, Darth Pig, oncafar and 5 others like this.