main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[spoilers!] Indiana Jones IV

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by StarDude, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Here's a place where you can place your ideas, questions, outlines and opinions for the next Indiana Jones movie. I'm sorry if this has been done before.

Personally, I became skeptical on the idea after I watched "The Last Crusade" last night. That movie seemed to be a great end to the trilogy. I rememeber being 9 or so and watching that movie all the time. I remember reading the "Young Indiana Jones" books, listening to the soundtrack and watching the Television show. I am having my doubts.

Perhaps Indy's father should die. Perhaps Indy should die.

Anyways...feel free to post your responses.

2. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    ?[face_plain]

Anybody?

3. Kendu_Knight

Kendu_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I don't know. The Last Crusade's ending was awesome, but it wasn't quite an ending to end all. It's always seemed to me that they rode off into the sunset, ready to face any other adventure that came their way. Those are my thoughts, though.

4. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    What if they decided: "Hold up. The Last Crusade is now called (fill in the blank) and Indy 4 is now called The Last Crusade."

That way Indy fans everywhere would be ticked off and confused, and no one's happy but me.

Call me a schmuck, but do we know for sure that Indy 4 will really be AFTER The Last Crusade. I seem to recall Temple of Doom being before Raiders, but....

5. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Considering Ford's age, it would be hard to produce another believable believable prequel film. Unless it was all in flashback, like the "Blues" episode of the Younf Indy series.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who feels that a new Indy film isn't needed. Raiders is one of my top 10, but I think it's time to let it be.

I'd rather have the Yound Indy series on DVD at this point.

Done rambling now.

-Otis

6. BenQ

BenQ Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2001
    "I'm probably the only person on the planet who feels that a new Indy film isn't needed."

Actually there are at least two of us. I also love Indy, but feel the series should be left as is.

7. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    "I'm probably the only person on the planet who feels that a new Indy film isn't needed. Raiders is one of my top 10, but I think it's time to let it be."

I agree. There's something about Last Crusade that makes me want it to end there. But I also don't want the Indy franchise to die and be forgotten.

8. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
  9. Sonic_Pumpkins

Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    Well, Star Wars has always been my fav. movie franchise, but Indiana Jones was my super hero...I hated Superman, I loved Indiana Jones, though. I think it would be a good idea to counter Spider-man and that horrid Brian Singer cliche of a super hero X-Men movie with a new Indiana Jones flick.

Really, just because there are three Indiana Jones movies doesn't mean its a trilogy. There is hardly a connection between the movies. Perhaps Lucas and Speilberg shouldn't make another Indiana Jones movie b/c it will probably be inferior...but, what if?

10. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    I agree I think Indy should be done after the last cruseade. I also think that Ford should mentor someone younger that will take his place and he should just retire but not die. I just wish Lucas would hurry I will have waited 28 years for the Star Wars trilogy to conclude I just hope its not the same for Indiana Jones I think both series of movies are awsome.

11. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    A friend of a friend of mine who works close to Harrison Ford in all of his films has been flying down to Mexico doing their job for shots for the new Indiana Jones film. I know this person well and have been to their house where there are photos on set of the original Indy trilogy and several other of his films as well as pics of them just hanging out. This is no BS.
    She did not say they are in full production but mentioned they are doing shots with sets.

12. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    It's funny...I actually believe you. There were reports a while back of sets being prepared and reserved for some shots. It was also said that merchandising is already being prepared.

13. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm a bit shocked that many people are skeptical of an Indy 4 movie.

Well the fact is Ford, Lucas, and Speilberg have all said they want to do another Indy movie. The problem is 1) they don't have a script and 2) all three are so busy doing other things it's going to be hard to clear their schedules to do a 4th Indy movie.

As for Ford being to old, that's garbage. The thing I liked best about Indy is that he's "real", meaning he's allowed to age. He's not a cheesy comic book character like Batman or Superman who never seem to age.

14. Darth_Tyrannous

Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Doesn't indy get life forever at the end of crusade. How can they follow that up. If he we're to for something, i think spain or africa would be a good place to bring him.

15. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    "But you cannot pass beyond the great seal! That is the boundry and the price of immortality."

Indy passed the seal, therefore he will not live forever.

16. Sonic_Pumpkins

Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    I think with a little bit of hair dye...Indiana Jones will still be as effective as ever w/ along with a little "age & wisdom." Indiana Jones should definitely not be considered immortal...I think making another Indiana Jones movie is a great idea (just as long as the script is as good as the others).

17. Mace_Winduel

Mace_Winduel Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2000
    I was just watching Entertainment Tonight and Harrison Ford and George Lucas confirmed that Indy 4 is a go. Lucas didn't say when they would start production.

I'm not sure where they announced it, it was at something honoring Lucas this week. Carrie Fisher and Ford were there to present him the award.

18. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    To add to what Mace Winduel said:
    They were at the BAFTA/LA awards, where Ford and Fisher awarded Lucas with a Lifetime Achievement award. Lucas jokingly said that if he finished Attack of the Clones "this week", he'd start on Indiana Jones "next week".

19. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Here's what was posted on ComingSoon.net:

FORD: "It's going to happen. It's going to happen. We have what we all believe to be a good idea. There's a lot of work ahead of us, but we are all looking foward to it."
    LUCAS: "If I finish up with Episode 2 this week I have to begin work in INDY 4 next week."

:D The wait is over!

20. DarthJerm

DarthJerm Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    A couple of random thoughts & questions.

If Lucas needed the past 3 years to make episode II, and something like 4 or 5 years to do episode I, how will he be able to do Episode III in 3 years while he is also working on another movie?

How involved would he be with Indy? How involved was he with the original 3? I bet that kind of info would be on the documentaries on the DVDs...if they ever existed.

When they made Raiders, he had someone else direct Empire (the movie that he was supposedly the least involved with) and it is regarded by many as the best SW Film ever. So if he were to pass the directing reigns to an able director, could Episode III be the perfect way to end the saga?

Then again, he didn't direct Jedi (which was made around the same time as Temple of Doom) and it is widely considered to be the worst/weakest film of the Original Trilogy. Would the prequel trilogy end on the same kind of note as the Original?

That's the Star Wars fan argument. Let's analyze this as an Indy fan. Do we even need a 4th Indy movie? Indiana Jones was the 80s. It began the decade. It ended it. Both Spielberg & Lucas have toned down their violent tendencies. Would Indy work without the violence? And what about the Nazis? Back then it was still okay to hate the Germans, some of them were still Communist. Now the Communists are gone...and everybody is a little more PC than before.

And what about Harrison Ford? When he first starred as Indy, he was in his late 30's. He turns 60 this year. Can he pull it off? Or will we mourn the character that he once was? Sure, Sean Connery was old in the last one, but he was still younger than Harrison Ford will be? And Henry Jones was an old bumbler. Will that happen to Indy?

Don't forget the Kate Capshaw rumour. She was IMHO the worst supporting character in any Indy film, and she's married to the director, and she hasn't had a memorable role since Temple of Doom, so she's probably chomping at the bit to get back in the limelight.

What could he go after? He found two of the biggest prizes ever. Can he top the Holy Grail?

Now that my rant is done, I want to say that I'd love to see a great Indiana Jones sequel. But will we?

21. PC_Murderer

PC_Murderer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Well they just posted something about having Jones' old girlfriends back in this one.

I just bought the trilogy on tape this summer (i never saw them all in entireity before) and I also agree that yeah Last Crusade was a great ending. But. . .

There is always that craving for more of a series. I trust when Spielburg Lucas and Ford all say they have a great script they have a great script. When I heard about the idea of a 4th one I was thrilled because there is so much they can do.

-PCM

22. Crazy_Ani

Crazy_Ani Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    The last crusade was a good ending but hey, one more Indy movie can't hurt.

23. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I remember Spielberg saying a while back in some interview that they'd have a lot of fun with Indy's age in Indy4, that they'd be riffing a bit on the fact that Indy is becoming an old man. Imo, it's entirely possible to make some really memorable moments out of this.

Jones is not super-human. In all the films he's actually VERY human. He's afraid, he does stupid things, he's mistaken about important stuff, and he's hurt. Hey, remember the wreck he is on that boat journey with Karen Allen in the first movie! Ford in bad shape has a lot of humour potential, so I don't think age will be an issue. The big deal, as many of you have said, is to have a great story to tell. Lucas claims to have come up with something that he, Steven and Harrison are equally excited about. Let's just hope.

Actually, I think I've read rumours about Indy4 going into production in 2004, after Lucas has finished shooting SW3. That way he can executive produce the Indy movie while being in post-production on EpisodeIII. That's absolutely possible to pull off. And just think about it - Indy4 will probably have about a year or so to go from start of shooting to release. That will give us the last Indiana Jones AND the last Star Wars in the summer of 2005! :D

24. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    But will it appeal to a newer, younger audience who isn't too familiar with the "Jones" franchise?

25. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    What if it doesn't? Just getting half the people who have seen the others to come back will surely mean serious BO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.