main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW [SPOILERS] Post your movie review of Revenge Of The Sith here!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ki-Bara-Mundi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    No doubt we will all want to post our thoughts on our first, second, third, and sixteenth viewing of ROTS on the NSW board, so this is the place to do it! :D

Please be warned that this thread will contain ROTS spoilers. After all, what good's a review if you can't discuss the finer details of the film, eh? ;)

Enjoy!

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Ki posted a spoiler thread! :eek:

:p

Anyway, my impressions. I'll be brief.

This film starts out with a wild rollercoaster ride and doesn't let you catch your breath for some time.
    The action's back, so is the witty dialogue and the interplay between Obi Wan and Anakin really makes you believe these guys have spent years fighting side by side.

This makes it all the more tragic when Obi Wan realises he has to confront the new Dark Lord, his former apprentice.

Hayden and Ewan turn in the best acting performances I've ever seen them do in any film, and Ian McDiarmid plays the cool and slippery Sith Lord posing as politician very convincingly. Good acting all around on this one, and you can really believe Anakin and Padme as a couple, the chemistry works.

The film has a lot of highly charged emotional moments, and it's almost agony watching it happen, as you see every single person in Anakin's life twist him one way, pull him another and push him again. No quarter is given, even his wife tries to manipulate him at one point. The poor guy just isn't given a break. By the time he realises he's been getting shoved around, he's already snapped and taken one step too far, and he knows he has passed the point of no return.

There's a lot of lines and scenes in the OT and even in the last two films that have new meaning now, words that are spoken more often than not echo a future event in later episodes.

It's a very fast paced film, and you're definitely going to need a few viewings to take it all in, and it only slows down to let the characters talk to each other and sort out what they're doing before it picks right back up again and resumes it's pace.

There were moments in this film, especially the last half hour or so, that I felt like my insides were being torn up and ripped apart. You know what's coming, and the journey there is a tragic one.

It may have been that I was in a cinema full of proud crew members who worked on it, but there was barely a dry eye by the time the film ended.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I watched "A New Hope" again yesterday. SM, how does this line from Obi-Wan link to the prequels;

"Your father wanted you to have this, when you were old enough; but your Uncle wouldn't allow it. He figured you'd follow old Obi-Wan on some damned fool idealisitc crusade, like your father did."

ES

4. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Not a mention,

Ok, spoilers ahead...

After Obi Wan does the Monty Python Knight trick on Anakin, then yells the "You were the chosen one!" speech at him, he turns and leaves as Anakin bursts into flame, picks up his sabre that had fallen behind him, and walks back to the ship.

What follows is Padme giving birth, staying alive long enough to name the children (Luke was born first, if you wanted to know) and then dies, the next time we see Luke is during the final montage, as he is handed wordlessly over to Beru, and the Owen and Beru hold Luke as they watch the sunset in the same place Luke does 19 years later.

So, I guess it's a lie by Obi Wan right alongside "Darth Vader....betrayed and murdered your father." One of those certain points of view things I guess.

Still, it doesn't bother me nearly so much as Leia remembering her mother in RotJ, seeing as she was with her for an even shorter time than Luke was...

5. MSE6

MSE6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    but what would you give it out of 100?
    how does it rank against the other 5 episodes?

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah, ok.

I should point out I've read the book and scriptment.

I never took Leia's remembering her mother to be the Queen of Alderaan, rather than Padme.

What I meant, is that the Jed had given up on attachment (like why Yoda expects Luke won't go to Bespin), is that they dont' seem to mind manipulating Luke (and previously Anakin) for the greater good. Is it more that Obi-wan is preserving the lie, until Luke's ready, or trying to make Luke into what Anakin wasn't, but could have been.

One thing I got from watching the PT was that Yoda and Obi-Wan in ESB assume the father is the son; and are greatly surprised that Luke doesn't get turned like Anakin. Interesting perspective.

E_S

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Is it more that Obi-wan is preserving the lie, until Luke's ready, or trying to make Luke into what Anakin wasn't, but could have been.

I guess it's a little of both, perhaps giving Luke the idea his father was a betrayed hero, and in doing so giving him something to live up to and complete.

Obi Wan does say he's going to watch over Luke as he grows, I guess anything that happens to make Owen see him as a crazy old hermit, and any truths to Owen about Anakin must occur sometime in the intervening 19 years.

It would have been nice to hear them say it, but then again we know what happens, and I don't think the final montage would have had the same emotional impact that it did had the music been turned down to accomodate the dialogue, or had the ending been stretched out to show how Owen forms his opinions.

Looks like there's enough mystery for us to keep discussing these films for another 28 years :)

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Next question is; who said that line in your signature?

E_S

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Noone, just some 'tard in a debate about Stormtroopers = Clones, saying that George Lucas doesn't count for info on Star Wars because he's not in the films.

I really out to stop posting in the film forums, you can't discuss film in there anyway, all the EU nazis leap on you if you dare suggest something that contradicts something in a novel from 10 years ago...

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah. Well, pity me; RotS doesn't open until 20th May in Taiwan. So I miss out for a day and bit, since the first screening is at 6pm on Friday.

E_S

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I was going to ask you about that actually. Also if you were going to get to see it in English or not.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, it'll be in English with Chinese subtitles. Most of the films they show are like this.

E_S

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I figured it would at least have ben subtitled, I was wondering if they were going to dub in Chinese or not.

I remember reading something on TFN leading up to the release of TPM that in some countries that had the originals dubbed, there were fans upset that the voice of some characters like 3PO that they grew up with was going to be different that time, I could certainly see their point.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They only ever dub children's movies here; Robots, for example, was available to watch at Warner Village or Cinemax in English or in Chinese.

E_S

15. mtfbwu72

mtfbwu72 Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    this question ...... it doesn't bother me nearly so much as Leia remembering her mother in RotJ, seeing as she was with her for an even shorter time than Luke was...

I think the answer to this question is a good insight into leia character
    I feel the image she has made in her mind of meeting her mother, is more a form of self nurturing and character strength than acutely fact.
    It is a story leia tells herself, to help her sleep.
    As any person knows who has dealt with loss on the scale of leia, she is maybe human first, force sensitive second.

16. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, that's what I'm noticing, is that a few lines in the OT have now been subjected to that "Certain point of view" outlook.

One example is Obi Wan telling Luke: "I haven't gone by the name Obi Wan since, oh, before you were born."

There were a few others that occured to me, but you get my drift.

Mind you, there is also a lot of stuff that has new meaning, or is clearer, R2 for instance knows exactly where he's going on Tattooine and who Luke and Leia are to each other.

It also adds a bit of R2's character when he takes an interest in Luke's Jedi training, perhaps keeping an eye that he doesn't fall like his father did?

17. Prodigiousman

Prodigiousman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    It's good and it's terrible, shame the terrible parts will haunt my final Star Wars experience forever.

Yoda and Obi-wan Carry this movie, the rest of the cast and script devastated me. Anakin = Darth Vader - worst transformation effort in history. He never got evil and Darth Vader should be ashamed to be associated with this reincarnation in Episode 3.

I love Star Wars - always will but this is just sooooo disappointing.

What a pity my first post in a year at least is so negative.... sure it had lightsabre battles, starfighter battles, land battles etc the whole lot but in key character moments and scenes it fell down the stairs and never pulled itself back up.

SHATTERED.

18. Prodigiousman

Prodigiousman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    Did I mention I was shattered....

I'm about to go to bed its 3:16am and I can't believe I'm as disappointed as I am... its really quite disturbing. I love Star Wars... here's hoping I can see the movie again without this disappointment nagging away at me.

To quote Darth Vader...

"NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" (was that a poorly acted - physically - frankenstine effort or what!!!)

Open up a dictionary check out Shattered and read the synonyms - that's how i feel.

19. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Loved it. R2-D2's role couldn't have been better and was definetely at his finest in that first 30 minutes.

Loved Vader getting suited up. Loved Sidious being scarred. Loved Chewbacca giving Yoda a hand. Loved the last shot of the film too.

It wasn't perfect at all. But it was fun. As were all 3 of them. The pacing in this one was just about spot-on, and that was a big problem with the first two. The reviews out there are right on this time.

EDIT:

Would've liked the Dagobah scene. It needed that for Luke in ESB.

One scene that needed more playing up was when Anakin could've killed Sidious. Lucas should've played up the choice card a lot more. The Mace scene was good. But make it all about his choices stuffing it up. With Padme he could've gone either way. With Obi-wan he could've gone either way. That Pommy kid jedi. It would've made the Luke choice a lot better.

20. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I got home at the brisk hour of 6:15am...

So, this is probably going to be the most biased, adrenaline-fueled review ever.

I Loved It.

The acting was really taken to a new level in this film. Coupled with what I felt was a very good script meant that ROTS saw characters portrayed unlike ever before. Hayden, especially, seemed to finally get the green light to act in this movie. I don't think I can really extrapolate any more on what SM alreayd said: Anakin and Obi-Wan were played off against (and alongside) each other perfectly, Anakin and Padme had a romance that actually felt more like love and less like a Mills and Boon novel, Palpatine played off everyone against everyone else, Mace and Yoda showed radically different perspectives to the same situation.

"There were moments in this film, especially the last half hour or so, that I felt like my insides were being torn up and ripped apart. You know what's coming, and the journey there is a tragic one."

I don't think there'll be any objections to this. I counted at least 5 scenes where I teared up:
    Death of the Jedi Masters, Death of the Jedi Younglings, Obi-Wan's "You were like a brother to me!", Death of Anakin&Padme/Birth of Vader&the Twins* and the final montage.

"He never got evil and Darth Vader should be ashamed to be associated with this reincarnation in Episode 3."

Prod, sorry man, I don't know what version you saw, but any man that cuts down a room ful of 8 year olds pretty much falls under "evil" in my books. I'm hoping that was just flame-bait and I've fallen hook, line and sinker...

*SM already pointed out that a lot of OT requires a "certain point of view" for a few lines here and there. Of not is "Darth Vader....betrayed and murdered your father." and my explanation may or may not indicate how much KotoR2 I played recently or how much sleep I need right now. This works on a few assumptions, so you'll have to bear with me.
    Anyway, I refer to the Death of Anakin and Padme. If Anakin is the Chosen One, born of the Force, in short almost a physical embodiment of the Force. Perhaps in fathering 2 children to Padme, he has created a deeper bond with her. (a "Force Bond" if you will...) We see the shots of Anakin on the operating table cut with pictures of Luke & Leia and Padme passing away. When the suit is completed "Anakin" is dead and now only Darth Vader remains. And it is at this time that Anakin has finally given up, his spirit has been so completely broken, that he allows himself to "become" Darth Vader. And when Anakin dies so too does Padme. It is inexplicable, something that the medical droids could not possibly understand. It is then that Darth Vader is born, but so too are Luke and Leia, the New Hope for the Galaxy.

Alrighty. It's now 7:30... I'm going to catch a few Z's, shower myself and try and get a 9:30 session somewhere.

21. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    ***SPOILERS***
    But if you expected anything different, then why are you reading this thread...?

Not my review, but someone elses...from our good (and cynical) friends at ninemsn...

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith is perhaps the most anticipated film of our time. It is unusually important that this film succeeds. This has become the saga of our age, one that bridges a gap between old school movie making and the new cinema. Expectations have rarely been as high and there seems a profound desire in mainstream culture that this episode attain a degree of excellence absent from the series for some time. So great is this desire that one suspects the audience will embrace its inadequacies. Although it~{!/~}s an exhilarating entertainment on a number of levels, Revenge of the Sith has a level of scripting and standards of acting that would be considered unacceptable in most movies.

It positively reeks of ham, with turgid speeches from the writer and director George Lucas and posturing and posing from most of the actors. Hayden Christensen does only an adequate job as the tragically conflicted Jedi Knight and Ewan MacGregor still seems uncomfortable in his role of Obi Wan Kenobi and Natalie Portman has always been too lightweight as Padme Amidala to suggest she is the mother of the revolution. No-one comes near the standards of, say, Sir Alec Guiness or even the original cast, all except Ian McDiarmid who is so good as the evil Sith Lord that he might be only the second actor in the series to receive Oscar attention.

Like many a boorish blockbuster, its problems could have been solved by better scripting. The script as always is the cheapest special effect. Unfortunately George Lucas is not our best writer in film. His inadequacies weren~{!/~}t as apparent in the first instalment as it all had a knockabout bonhomie that made it appealing. As the series became more serious, he was utterly unable to deliver with the catastrophe that was The Phantom Menace. While it was a stunning show reel for Lucasfilm and Skywalker Ranch and brought film technology into a new era, it leached the series of any of its humour and suspense. There was a pronounced improvement in Attack of the Clones and an even greater improvement with Revenge of the Sith. But it still stands that on the scale of Star Wars films, this would rank fourth after the first three films made two decades ago.

If however it was ranked on the scale on its technical and visual merits, it would far exceed any of the previous efforts. From the opening scene that fills the frame with layers of epic action, in what is easily the best space battle ever filmed, to the many worlds we visit from the boundless imagination of its creator, Revenge of
    the Sith brings back the awe that first began when that Imperial Cruiser first edged its way into our universe with the opening shot of the series.

And just as with this Sith and sixth instalment, Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader, and Star Wars itself surrenders to the dark side. Its tone of omniscient evil is palpable despite the dreary dialogue and much has been made of the violence that would make it inappropriate for smaller viewers. It is certainly not acceptable fare for pre-schoolers but school age children of a certain maturity could take it if accompanied by an adult. It is more the adult concepts than the sabre-wielding violence that are disturbing here. Interestingly one of the most distressing images of the film has Anakin drawing his light sabre in front of a room full of frightened children. To demonstrate exactly how far this series has come, we see George Lucas symbolically assassinating what was once his target audience. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith may not be the best film in the series but it's definitely the boldest. It gives fans many of the pay-offs they have been waiting for and ingeniously ties the two trilogies together. It may sound like it was written by a teenager fed on a diet of popcorn and PlayStation, but it is a visual masterpiece that soars, especially when the actors stay silent. I

22. mtfbwu72

mtfbwu72 Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    I feel the manifestation from Anikan to Vadar was a long and arduous path. When we finally see Vadar and the emperor says? rise? we know he has finally become more machine than man twisted and evil making his final comeback in return of the Jedi an even more amazing Jedi feat.

This is the greatest story ever told...........mtfbwu

23. i_love_ani

i_love_ani Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    i loved it, im seeing it again on sunday.
    after an hour the pace of the movie goes really fast.
    i only thought that it took 5 mins for ani to be the jedi into the apprentice i thought that was a lil corney eg. 'i will do whatever you ask master' 'you shall be known as darth vader' that kinda dissapointed me tho.

24. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Argh, I'm so tired. Well, I liked it YAY! ^.^/ I liked the opening, R2, I actually didn't hate Padme in this one, except for the 'blinded by love' and poodle hair bits.

I loved the othe other planets and the WOOKIES <3 and I couldn't believe how sad and violent it was! It was really horrible watching the little kids get wasted and the clones turning on the Jedi, I was so shocked! And that's a good thing. Obi-wan and Anakin were so much better together and Anakin was so much more likeable/hateable, such a better acting job from them all. Some bits just weirded me out, where Sidious is begging for mercy and that whole scene really was totally odd and creepy.

There were a couple of things I thought were lame, Vader's 'noo' I just don't think it went down well in the suit, if he was going to have a big no moment, it should have been while he was still crispy Ani, and I realise that he's still the same person in there and he's only just gotten in to the suit, but the way he was talking, his tone and the words he used like 'where's padme?' etc were just SO un Vader like and I didn't like hearing it come from suit. I would have been happier if just turned into cool Vader as soon as the suit went on, I don't even care what the explantion for it would be.

Chewbacca!

The Obi-wan and Anakin on mustafa was awesome, Obi wan should have finished him off though, I don't know why he didn't.. I mean it should have been made so that he couldn't get to him to finish him off, because why would he risk it, and why would he let his 'brother' suffer like that. Although their whole dialogue was awesome!

Cheesy - 'We should get her to the medical centre' Bail in ref to Padme.. no ****?! And the no will to live thing.. whatever.

The way Obi-wan sat with his leg up on the chair in the council was cool. Anakin's eyes were cool, and his agry face and so on and the beginning wih all the elevator stuff and Yoda was neato, i love the Yodmeister.

Anyway I can't remember anything else, i'm so bloody tired, back to work now :p

Chewbacca! <3

25. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    Awesome, awesome time. Great atmosphere at fox. I got 4 TV interviews and 1 radio one (they asked me to sing a song for them, so I did Y.O.D.A for old times sake).

Some thoughts that may not have been mentioned:

-Was Palpy hinting that his master influenced midichlorians to give birth to Anakin?
    -The sortie into the Temple to change the answering machine message: to me, this is setting up the TV series. Barriss Offee, here we come.
    -Where the hell was Mon Mothma?
    -There were so many so-called 'spoilers' that weren't actually in the film, I'm gonna start a thread about it.
    -I was surprised that Mace BEAT Palpatine!
    -How did R2 lose his jets? I missed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.