main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW [SPOILERS] Post your movie review of Revenge Of The Sith here!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ki-Bara-Mundi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dsource

Dsource Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2000
    You can't have a big "masked" vader sequence in ROTS.
    I was thinking about this the other day.
    I travel pretty widely on the net and you are the first person I've seen complain but the lack of Vader time.
    The climax of the film is the Obi/Ani battle, nothing can top that.

You've known for the best part of 25+ years what the outcome of that battle is.

Any extra screen time of Vader would have taken the shine off the Mustafar battle and thrown the pacing of the film.

Anyway, what was left for him to do in that immediate time frame?
    Destroy the Temple? check
    Kill Jedi? check
    Kill the seperatists? check
    Stop the war? check

At this point in time, Palps is the one who is doing all the work, Vader has just pulled himself together again after a tough day at the office.

Stop being picky an look at the pacing of the film.
    I want more Aayla time but you don't see me complaining about it.

2. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    "his fear on two occassions (when he told Yoda Vader was more powerful than both of them - hiding behind his student's power - and when Yoda repels his force lightning) showed me he was fighting a losing battle."

Yeah, this is basically what I felt. That BOTH Yoda and Sidious were fighting losing battles. They are both masters of their respective abilities, and yet even though they are fighting for their very lives, neither can get the edge they need to claim victory. Perhaps Yoda has learnt something from the Sith - that you don't need an outright attack to win the day in the end, and that by retreating and exiling himself he might find a way to become stronger.

I think I said as well, IMO the scene in which Qui-Gonn makes himself known to Yoda would have strengthened this idea even more. By showing Yoda was willing to humble himself and become an apprentice again shows that he has learnt something far greater than even the ability Qui-Gonn wil pass on.

3. Dsource

Dsource Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2000
    Latest issue of the US Rolling Stone:

"Now there's a hint in the movie that there was a Sith lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ulitmately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force." -George Lucas

Now THATS winnar..

4. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I thought we'd get more suited-Vader screen time too. It's not a complaint, I think D has a very valid point about it taking away from the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight, but being spoiler-free I thought we would see more of the Darth Vader we're familiar with.

5. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    I actually liked most of Christensen's performance in ROTS. I'm not sure that Lucas was going for the heroic/villain thing, this is tragedy - ie innocence to darkness.

I also have to disagree with the suggestion that Anakin thought that he had become the master by the time he fought Obi-Wan. He was still justifying his fall with the notion that his mentors, the Jedi (and in particular Obi-Wan), were restricting his abilities (a belief that started way back in ATOC). He seems to speak the line, "This is the end for you, my Master," with such relish, as if to say 'I told you so'.

I'm watching different parts of that opening space battle each time I see the film. It's so engaging though and I keep being drawn back to the Jedi, so there are things I still haven't examined.

I actually think Ian McDiarmid did a fantastic job in shifting from Palpatine, the regal Chancellor, to Sidious, the insane psychopath who laughs at his own destruction. It's very believable.

Prodigiousman, I have to say that what you wrote about Obi-Wan's democracy line is very true. The whole Mustafar sequence between Obi-Wan and Anakin has that same mystical emotive link that immortalised the OT for me years ago.

Interesting quote from Lucas. He did want to make ROTS thought provoking as I suspected. I have to agree with Ozhaggis though, it is much more straight forward to think of Anakin as the Chosen One. In a sense, that version offers the greatest explanatory power as well.

6. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    Still find there's a few scenes with the Emperor where his voice/acting make me laugh in the wrong way - he's trying to be evil but it just looks silly.

I'm glad someone else said it. I still can't take some of his stuff seriously.

Gah! Totally! He annoyed in most scenes that he was in.

7. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    i quite liked him actually. he was so creepy it was great :)

8. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    A friend of mine suggested that Hayden was selected for RotS and not necessarily AotC. I have to agree with him. It seems Hayden comes into his own in this movie. I don't know if it's because his acting was so lame in AotC and therefore the contrast makes you think he acts well, or if he just does well. It's kinda like Mark Hamill - who is such a crap actor that noone has seen anything from him since, but he IS Luke Skywalker and that he did really well.

About the midichlorians... well, for me it's a bit like EU. I kinda try not to think about it. It seems to be one of those areas of Star Wars that was put in there in Ep I just to make things different (like Jar Jar) that didn't really work. But since it was introduced, Uncle George had to do SOMETHING with it....

9. Sai-Mera_Saa

Apr 18, 2002
    Isn't Christensen known for playing dark, brooding type loose cannons? That would fit ROTS - which is the more important film.

On a slightly different subject, my brother sent me a link to this article. I thought it was quite a good theory on why Obi-Wan's interaction with R2 in ANH doesn't invalidate the PT.

10. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Awesome article, thanks for that.

Anyway, I came home from the premiere, put in ANH and it all made perfect sense to me, I guess there are just some people that aren't happy unless they can pick flaws...

11. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yeah, I agree Sith, it's like there'd be a bunch of Star Wars nerds on the internet all talking about the various nuances of what happened in the Star Wars movies.

Geeks.

12. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Question:

Was anyone else really irritated by Padme? Friggen dying over a boy? Leia lost her whole freaking PLANET and she still managed to kick ass!

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I got the impression it was some kind of force connection between her and Anakin, and as Anakin died, so did she.

The droid's line "For reasons we do not know, we are losing her." got me thinking that way...

14. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    I've read that theory, but I'm not a big fan of it. I don't know why, but it rubs me the wrong way.

15. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    It's kinda like Mark Hamill - who is such a crap actor that noone has seen anything from him since, but he IS Luke Skywalker and that he did really well.

Not true.
    He is currently a very successful voice actor doing many, many voices for various animated features. And, as any actor can tell you, doing good voice acting is one of the hardest things anyone can do.
    Also, he was in a few others movies (such as The Big Red One) where I think he did a pretty good job, not 'crap' by any means.
    The only problem is, he's incredibly type cast and people wouldn't give him a chance. Thus the voice acting - you can't see his face so you don't automatically think of Luke Skywalker.

16. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Very true...

It's funny, when I think of Mark Hamil now, I think of the Joker in the Animated Batman series. To me, he IS the Joker, much more than Jack Nicholson was...

17. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Dude, Will was watching that the other day and I was only half-paying attention because I was doing work stuff or something, and then all of a sudden I was like "***? Is that Luke?"

Totally weird.

18. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Was it the episode where he has Gordon captive, is dressed like a dentist and pulling some of his teeth out and tosses a grenade at him saying "May the floss be with you!" ?

19. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I think Mark Hamill is a good actor I just think unlike Harrison Ford he really didn't do too much between each of the 3 OT movies, nothing that really brought him any attention anyway.

Also I'm reading the book of ROTS at the moment and loving it. So much more in depth and you get a better idea of how The Force is at work for each of the characters. It's hard to get into someones mind in a movie with a narrative, so the book is great for that.

20. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Here's my four cents on the death of padme (i.e. 2 x 2 cents)

First, from a symbolic / mythological / Campbellian POV, Padme's death is perfectly timed. She embodies Anakin's compassion. "Padme" is IMHO a reference to the famous buddhist mantra "Om mani padme hum," which expresses the belief that the buddha of compassion is alive and well in the world. By killing Padme, Anakin kills his compassion, and truly embraces the dark side.

Second, from a neurological POV, Padme's death is also sound. Lucas claims to be a keen amateur psychologist, and in that spirit I believe "Amidala" is a reference to "Amygdala," a small nut-sized bit of your brain that, among other things, has a hand in controlling emotions. When the Amygdala is damaged or destroyed, people can get very aggressive and violent, lose the ability to control their own emotions, and lose the ability to perceive the emotions of others. Funnily, enough, this happens when Anakin's Amidala is injured and then killed ...

Padme Amidala ... providing Anakin with compassion and emotional stability. When she dies, his compassion and emotional stability / control dies with her ...

/rant

21. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Just on the note of the Emperor and how he seems to be annoying some with his acting.

I actually liked it, it was extremely disconcerting.
    If anyone has ever had any experience with people with dementia, that type of peculiar behaviour is quite common and really unnerving for anyone who is with them.

So it was interesting, for me. Made him seem like he was going insane, which adds another level onto his character. :)

22. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Yes...he was a bit of a nut, wasn't he? ;)

23. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Before ROTS, he seemed more like a calculating nut to me. He derived pleasure from having others do his bidding (like laughing at Luke as he attempts to strike the Emperor down in ROTJ, only to have Vader defend his master).

24. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Oz: that is such a cool explanation, that even if its not THE truth, it may now be MY truth for the events of that part of the film.

25. Sai-Mera_Saa

Apr 18, 2002
    A few more interesting thoughts from the same source I linked to above (this time on why Obi-Wan doesn't consider Leia a 'hope').

There is one suggestion in that theory that I have to take issue with though. I don't think Obi-Wan considered Anakin's survival on Mustafar a failure. Obi-Wan deliberately left him alive, as he said about killing Anakin, "He is like my brother ... I cannot do it."

Also, the reactions of a seven year old with knowledge of the PT to seeing ANH for effectively the first time.

It would be rather odd, I suppose, to see the films for the first time in chronological order. Actually, I don't even think it would make sense that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.