main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW [SPOILERS] Post your movie review of Revenge Of The Sith here!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ki-Bara-Mundi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Using that word like that is not advanced, it's stupid. I won't tolerate it and I'm somewhat disgusted that some of you would defend its use in such a blazé manner. That's the final word on this subject.

Oh, by the way, I know how much today's CS kiddies love derogatory terms, so I'll make this clear - the policy also extends to terms such as "gay" in any sort of derogatory context. Just so you're not confused. :)

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    ^^ That would be that Mod ruling you were waiting on.

3. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Hawk, can you please fix the word which was used two lines down in the same post.

Also, can people please respect that not everyone here are gamers and that some words are not understood by everyone. I have no idea about any gaming jargon myself and can misinterpret what you are saying.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Whoops. [face_blush]

5. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I don't really want to join in this heinously off topic debate, but I think if one person is offended it should be enough for us to stop and apologise. Remember, we're all friends here and we don't want anyone to feel unwelcome. Also, we don't need to go on about it, nor discuss whether it was bad or not (contradicting myself by posting this, but...) - like I said if one person was offended that should be enough.

Having said that, we also shouldn't be making the person who offended us unwelcome either. We've got to share the love.

We need to approach this in a mature adult-like manner and go back to discussing the finer points of a movie by using references to lego kits.

6. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    What did everybody think of the whole "Nooooo" thing?

Nooo

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Well, sure it sounded like Seymour Skinner yelling through a TRU Vader voice changer, but I do make an allowance for the fact that his lungs were probably seared along with his throat, maybe his body was incapable of sustaining a long bellowing no, and also he was speaking through a sealed helmet microphone, so that could have effected it as well.

Persoanlly, I liked the scene, the silence before the helmet is sealed and that first breath comes on is amazing, as is, imo, the "frankenstein" walk as he steps away from the table, bearing in mind his anguish and the fact he is taking his first steps on new legs.

And I just love that manipulative, ******* grin on Palpatine's face when vader does it.

8. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I think the people that have an appreciation for the myriad references to ground breaking popular culture events through the SW movies will actually like this fact. References to films like the Seven Samurai and others that are very subtle go under the radar, but when a heavily parodied movie is referenced most people think it's cheesy.

I personally loved it. If you've read the book, the similarities go much deeper than just the "monster" bit. I took it for what it was - a tribute, and a device for really strong imagery.

Those people who thought it was cheesy... well, I can see where you're coming from and I agree with you to a point, but I liked it.

9. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    ye sorry for puttin dat word in, didnt realize people would get offended XD, im used to more leniant sites, guess ill have to adapt tho :p

ye Scoot dat noooo site got me hooked for 15 min :p

10. MSE6

MSE6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    Ok... I gotta say it (and get this thread back on track)

Anyone see the little Silver MicroMousedroids :)
    I saw in I think the 60minutes version, Lucas actually
    had a large Mousedroid back away from Anakins entrance on
    the Separatist on Mustafar. But in the final version he has
    replaced it with several smaller silver version.

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I saw those!

I don't think they were ever meant to be that big, we just saw a pre-vis on the 60 mins bit.

I've always meant to build a mouse droid out of a remote control car...

12. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    yeah i noticed em and thought of u Mick :)

13. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    stragling the english languag my ass, some people need to get with the times and stop acting so superior to everyone.

im fine with it not being used or it being used i just waned to see what the mods had to say.

im not a hardcore gamer nor are many of the people i know that use that same term in similar contexts.

i intend to let that particular thing go im more pissed off about certain peoples attitudes and superiority complexes atm. im sorry is atm too hardcore gamer for at the moment?

14. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Or you could just let the subject die........

15. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    *** OFFICIAL WARNING ***

All users are expected to abide by this site's terms of service, which does include rules on language and obscene and sexually oriented themes. If you see something that you believe goes against these rules, please send a private message to one of the site's administrators and wait for their response.

Less officially - guys and girls, the issue has obviously offended people on both sides. Please take a moment to THINK BEFORE YOU POST. Now everyone have a bowl of ice cream, smile, and stick to the topic.

We return you to your regular SW geek discussion of Revenge of the Sith...

16. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    now on to business

after watching it again (so twice now) im really not a fan of the movie an its sliding down my list to on par with clones.
    you know i had a whole lsit in my head to write up but meh i think ill do it later

17. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    i must say, when i watch it i really dont look forward to the second half... but thats what makes it soo good :D

18. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Benji, after my third viewing I'm looking forward to the last 30 mins of the movie most. It's the SW myth that's been built up for 28 years, it's classic cinema before it even hit the screen! :D

Something else that caught my attention is Obi-Wan's line, "I loved you!". Wait, did he just say that he loved Anakin? Isn't that against the Jedi code? Is Obi-Wan admitting to breaking the code by saying that he had a strong emotional attachment to his Padawan?

Remember, attachment is forbidden. And by loving Anakin like his own brother, there is certainly attatchment for Obi-Wan. Perhaps this is one of his failures as a Master that he recognises when he says that Anakin is a far greater Jedi than he could ever hope to become in the first half hour of the movie.

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Qui Gon also tells Obi Wan the same thing in TPM after taking Anakin into meet the council. If I remember right the exact quote is "I also foresee you becoming a much greater jedi than I.."

20. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    In answer to Scoot, Ki-Adu-Mundi was on Mygeeto.

I like Prodigiousman's thoughts on how Anakin's comments to Luke tie in with his actions in ROTS. In a sense then it was Luke's resistance, through his actions, that demonstrated to Vader that giving oneself to the Dark Side was not the only way to save loved ones. I agree with you - pure gold.

The reference to Frankenstein was actually something I thought gave weight to the scene. This is an especially good device if you think about the relationship between creator (master) and beast in Frankenstein and then apply it to the Emperor and Vader. As for the 'Nooo', I think it's a tribute to ROTJ (that sense of confined helplessness that Luke felt).

Edit:

We're having a discussion about the Jedi distrust of passion in the 'Is the Dark Side bad?' thread. I think there is really some grey area here that Lucas wants to explore. Obi-Wan did say, after all, "I have failed you Anakin." I find it interesting that only the two Jedi who recognised their own weakness (Obi-Wan and Yoda) survived. I'm sure this is deliberate.

21. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Benji, after my third viewing I'm looking forward to the last 30 mins of the movie most. It's the SW myth that's been built up for 28 years, it's classic cinema before it even hit the screen! grin

Yes, last 30min are alright, i just keep wanting Anakin to stay back and let Mace kill palps, even tho i kno its gunna happen :p

Maybe its jus me not wanting the movie to end :p

22. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    =http://www.ytmnd.com]YTMND for the Win!

but what about
    http://mgkhan.ytmnd.com/
    http://picard.ytmnd.com/
    or a quite recent addition
    http://silentfilmstarwars.ytmnd.com/

actually, that last one is pretty funny.

As for Star Wars, Obi-Wan's lines to Anakin on Mustafar, "You were my brother! I loved you!" are perhaps my most favourite lines out of the entire six episodes. Ki's insight, that Obi-Wan was admitting to attachment only makes me like that scene so much more. Anakin grew up knowing his mother, and therefore felt the lack of family attachments strongly as he trained as a Jedi. We can only assume that Obi-Wan was taken from his family at such as young age so as not to remember his family. His entire concept of family would have been built up by watching the rest of the universe live out life around him as he grew up in the Jedi Order. No doubt he would have interacted with many families over time. When Obi-Wan reveals that Anakin was like a brother to him, it's like he's gaining the only family he'll ever have and loosing it all in the same instance.

23. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    yeah I hadnt picked tht either paul, good catch!

Is it they arnt allowed to love, or they arent allowed to let passion rule them?

doesnt Ani have somethignt o say on that in ep2? somethign about compassion is the core of a jedis strength when Padme asks him if hes allowed to love?

24. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Ive read a hint of this on the 3SA board, but does Obi-wans new call on the DVD of ANH sound a lil similar to Boga from Ep3?

I really can't rememebr what she sounded like, its been a week since seeing the flick, but from memory, it sounds a little similar [face_worried]

25. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Krayt Dragon call i believe you were referring to

I will watch ANH after i see ROTS this Sunday, check for ya ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.