main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo (Spoilers) Prequel references in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, May 23, 2018.

1. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    That's right.

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Not the PT era, but Scariff also got a mention which was cool.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The pykes appeared which first appeared in TCW

Count Yubnub and darkspine10 like this.
  4. Jango--John

Jango--John Jedi Master star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    Anyone else surprised they just decided to casually kill off Aurra Sing in a throw away line?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean as someone said before Beckett just says he pushed her. So for all we know she survived. At least it wasn’t Bane. If cad Bane died in a throwaway line. Oh boy!

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I mean for a character who literally does nothing but chill on a balcony in the films I'd say she's done pretty well for herself.

7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    That Aurra Sing line was awesome. I don't think anyone else in the theater knew who the hell that was, but I was excited lol.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s the most EU thing ever taking a character who appears for seconds and making her have some elaborate backstory

9. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I liked it. Nice, simple link to the PT that doesn't hurt because Aurra was never a big character anyway.

10. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    It's still rather scant references.

11. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    It was left very vague though...

Shaak Ti and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    At the end when they go and see Dryden Vos I'm pretty sure he offers them Colo Claw fish (one of the sea beasts in Episode 1), it's the yolky, jelly dish.

13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Although Rogue One isn't considered a prequel, I was happy to see the appearance of Two Tubes.

14. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    The Emperor got a mention which was nice.

Snafu55 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Sure, if you feel that way, who am I to say anything against that... but I am glad that they are not afraid of the PT era and are making at least 1 or 2 references to it in every single movie since TFA.

I expect the Kenobi movie to be full of PT references... one being the actor himself.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    These were awesome references!!!

17. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    Believe me, I appreciate any prequel reference I can get. Just seems like there would have been a little more than there has been. And the visual language established by the prequels has almost been completely sloughed off. Yes, we are all aware that many people hated the prequels, but one thing I really liked about them was their unprecedented visual flair. Now the movies since 2015 have gone back to the less ornate (yet admittedly still pretty cool) visual language of the OT and then make a verbal reference or two to PT story elements. I still appreciate and cling to every little bit I can get and am pretty sure I was the only one in the theater last night who caught the Aurra Sing reference.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, but look at the worlds we've been too. They haven't exactly been extravagant. Not only that, but we're about 10 years into the empires rule in solo, and minutes before ANH in R1.

GreedoCMZ likes this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Surprises me that you'd see it that way. Rogue One and now Solo are right in line with visual language created by the PT and it's extension in TCW. The whole lived-in universe ethic that the prequels really brought to Star Wars is very present.

Which has nothing to do with those making the movies who like or outright love them.

It's more of a mix really. I know that there are lots of things that people think are somehow OT to them that are things that clearly were not in the OT but from the PT.

The new movies are packed with the PT. Rey, Kylo Ren, Luke and Snoke only exist as they do in the ST because of the PT. The extent to which the PT transformed the context of the OT and shaped the way we view Star Wars is constantly under-rated.

So much so that even if they don't mean to they use them not appreciating that they are because they look at it "always" being that way. Even when it wasn't.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  20. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Vod getting triçked reminded me of palpatine tricking the Jedi a little bit. Robot slavery was a good angle that was there in tpm and aotc. Also the robot fight reminded me of genosian Colosseum forced battle. These are more thematic than direct. Wookie enslavement is pretty direct reference.

21. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    This one is iffy, but I thought one of the blasters used in the movie by either beckett or one of his partners looked a lot like the naboo guard blasters from TPM. Can anyone confirm or deny?

This one:
    [​IMG]

22. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    Must have missed that, what was the mention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Was that a Purrgil in the Kessel run scene?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No it was more an octopus of doom.

Krueger likes this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maul was portrayed by Ray Park again, for the first time since TPM, whilst his voice was performed by Sam Witwer, his voice actor since TCW.