main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [El Camino spoilers] If you don't watch Breaking Bad, then yes, you still are an idiot.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Sep 2, 2012.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    You know who else shares Ender's opinion of Jesse? Uncle Jack. Coincidence?

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    *sigh* Ender that phrasing indicates that Walt cared about making Jesse into who Walt wanted Jesse to be, and that as a result, Jesse would go from whiney to psychotic in the show in response to Walt's manipulations. You needed to say "would have", that's all. You were not clear.

Just say "maybe I should clarify/no I wasn't trying to say that, what I meant was..." like a normal human being or stop interacting with other humanoids. I am one of the people here who actually likes you, dude.

Like I said, I don't know that I'd love hanging out with Jesse, but that doesn't make him a bad character and it certainly doesn't reflect poorly on Aaron Paul. On the contrary, he does a great job because he makes an often pathetic guy three dimensional and compelling. Obviously if he just rubs you the wring way and annoys you, no one can account for personal taste. But not to your taste isn't the same thing as bad.

harpua likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't think Walt wanted Jesse to be psychotic. If he was psychotic he'd be unpredictable, unreliable. He'd be Todd. While Todd was generally reliable, he also shot a kid on a whim, without remorse or regret. Walt wanted Jesse completely in his control. Even at the end, he wanted Jesse to shoot him, to have that final little bit of control. Good for Jesse for refusing.

And it's been mentioned by a couple of people, but yes, wanting to hang out with a character has absolutely nothing to do with whether you enjoy the character. Love Tony Soprano, no desire to ever hang out with him. Love The Wire, but there are probably about three characters I'd like to hang out with.

Mortimer Snerd, harpua and yankee8255 like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Agreed.... Walt did have a weird, almost fatherly, love for Jesse, but it was a twisted and sick fatherly love. He wanted Jesse to be, as Diggy said, completely under his control. He let Jane die, poisoned Brock, manipulated Jesse into breaking up with Andrea (because he saw their relationship as a threat to his control over him), manipulated Andrea in order to "flush him out" and have him killed, etc--all in order to maintain control over him. I'm also glad that, in the end, Jesse told Walt to do it himself. That was a tear-jerker moment, for me.

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    As for the Skyler handjob scene, I've mentioned it several times in the past, I think it was the perfect set-up for what they were trying to establish about the characters.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Marie/Hank handjob scene >>>

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh god.... jesus no.

lol... I'm coming across like I have some bizarre aversion to hand jobs. I really don't--just awkward hand jobs, I guess. :p

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Well,she was a skilled clepto, so she must have been good with her hands ...

harpua likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol

You gotta admire her persistence, though, I guess... she really went at it, with both hands. But yeesh.... that was an awkward scene.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was HOT.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Have to admit, I don' remember it. I'm thinking that's a good thing. Maybe some kind of PTSD.

harpua likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There's a joke in there about sticky fingers, I just know it.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I really have to do a rewatch of the first 2 seasons soon.

EDIT. Just read a synopsis on the BrBa wikia. Definitely icky, but Marie's look of triumph after was gold.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    yankee8255 and Darth Tunes like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, that was a great ending.

AS for the Hank/Marie handie... Marie was such a wonderfully unsympathetic character. Like... well written, well acted, and compellingly flawed.

Did I hear that your Toys R Us were doing Satan's work and selling BrBa figures? Evil.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why was Marie unsympathetic? Yes, she had flaws, and I realized the klepto subplot early in the series isn't popular (I thought it served its purpose well).

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Marie was annoying as ****, but I grew to like her in the second half of season 5.

The Marie/Hank minisode was funny. :p

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm about to finish season 3. I'm loving all of the characters really. Jesse can kick arse when he wants to - getting his house back, the RV back, kicking Walt around from time to time..not sure how they all develop in the followjn g seasons as I'm not there yet.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe the wrong word. The actor who played Marie called her a "really unpleasant b****" and that sums it up for me.

yankee8255 likes this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've heard her refer to Marie as annoying, and she's commented that she and Anna Gunn discussed that their family was probably pretty ****ed up, but I've never heard her refer to Marie as an unpleasant meanie.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm trying to remember where she said; she basically said that Marie's first impression is that, and that she doesn't care that Marie's not likable, she loves the complexity of the character and the depth.

Which is one reason I thought she was an unsung element in the show; unlike Hank, who by the end has gone from jock with hidden panic attacks to the foil for Heisenberg, she goes from being totally overbearing to mildly overbearing and a bit irrational.

Like, I get the sense that her and Skylar had a totally messed up childhood.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, that's the conclusion she and Anna Gunn came to... that their family is really ****ed up, and their childhoods weren't great.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    really? But you won't watch the one I posted?

And I changed your mind on Jesse, admit it!

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That alternate ending is always lovely to watch.