main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Spoliers vs Non-spoilers --Which side are you on?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by aanakin, May 10, 2005.

?

Spoliers vs Non-spoilers --Which side are you on?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. RED--I know nothing of Ep III

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BLUE--I just watch the trailers and know some events in ROTS

69.2%
  3. GREEN--I know everything

30.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aanakin

aanakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2004
  2. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    I found this on the webby...

Spoilers vs. non-spoilers
    Openly admitting to a conflict, the two say they are in opposite Star War camps: the Spoilers vs. the non-Spoilers.

The first wants to know as much as possible about the movie, characters and plot, the second doesn?t want to know anything or as little as can be possible amid the marketing blitz preceding the movie, which includes the launch of dozens of toys based on movie characters.

In Los Angeles, the spoilers? group dynamic is more complex, with three color coded levels for fans gathered a few feet away from Grauman?s Chinese Theatre amid the hustle and bustle of Hollywood?s tourist trade.

Red is for would-be know-nothings. Blue indicates they will look at official information and movie trailers, but don?t want to hear about plot and story issues. A green spoiler wants to know everything.

Choose it u must!

3. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    This is the easiest poll I've ever done. Next!

:)

4. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Sorry Jazz... if we were queueing up in LA right now, I'd be WAY over the other side from you... omigosh! :eek:

But yeah, I respect wherever anyone else here may be standing on this issue, so I do my best NOT to reveal any spoilers as far as I can help myself... hehe! :p

5. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    i'm kinda balanced, i know quite a bit but i dun mind knowing a bit more. i dun look for the plot lines tho. when it comes i take it, when it doesnt i dun go story hunting.

6. wmgan

wmgan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    Aren't the colours the wrong way? Spoiler-hungry people like me should be of the Dark Side (what with the temptation and all), and hence represented by the colour RED. =D

In any case, I'm all for knowing everything as much as I can before actually seeing the movie. =)

7. padawan_princess

padawan_princess Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    "Aren't the colours the wrong way? Spoiler-hungry people like me should be of the Dark Side (what with the temptation and all), and hence represented by the colour RED. =D "

lol, yeah you do have a point. Anyway, I think it's virtually impossible to remain totally spoiler free.
    ARRGGHH!!!! I felt so horrible after watching the 'special'trailer at the MRT station. It had quite a few scenes I didn't know about as well as extra lines uttered by the characters...now they are showing it on TV mobile...we spoiler-free people seem to be made to suffer

8. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Do what I do - just close your eyes. ;)

9. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    <We spoiler-free people seem to be made to suffer>

Yup, it's your lot in life! =D

10. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Do what I do - just close your eyes. ;)

And not what I do - stand closer and stare until the screen declares 'JURONG EAST', despite deciding to be spoiler-free... Good thing the volume's too low for the sound to be heard clearly. :p

11. InCogNiToFan

InCogNiToFan Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    The color doesn't seem right ... Wording says Red/Blue/Green, but the bars in different colors?

12. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    The colors of the bars are default, so don't pay attention to them.

Once again TV mobile was showing a segment of ROTS fight scenes when I was on the bus.

I turned my head to the window and didn't see a thing. :D

I'm such a disciplined person. :p

13. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    Why delay the inevitable? Ultimately, the movie will be the ultimate experience. Even the books don't do justice (especially the books this time.)

14. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Because there's a difference in the experience. Knowing what's going to happen spoils that.

15. InCogNiToFan

May 11, 2002
    The surprise and suspense element is there.

Just like the guy who got too engrossed in the show and suddenly stood up in the theatre and screamed "Noooooooooo" when Vader said he is Luke's father...

Ever watch John Travolta's "Phenomenon", about why those thing that happened to Travolta? The watching experience is totally different, knowing and not knowing why from the beginning..

Just like opening presents... Do you like to know what is it before you open it?

16. padawan_princess

padawan_princess Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Yup, it ruins the feeling you get when seeing it for the first time. At first I was not spoiler-free (believe it or not!) but in Feb after seeing some spoiler pics, I decided it would not be fun if I was going to watch the movie already knowing the full plot and scenes and stuff, etc.

And JaZzYjaZZ, I tried closing my eyes but I ending up bumping into a lot of walls...:p

17. InCogNiToFan

May 11, 2002
    Haha .. next time try turning your head away instead .. look at wall or the floor ..

18. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    I beg to differ - did knowing the story of "The Lord of the Rings" deter anyone from enjoying the movies? I think not - not in my case, at least (though I was rather upset with the second movie, which in my opinion added too much unnecessary padding to an otherwise tight plot in the novel).

Besides, EVERYONE knows what's going to happen to Anakin Skywalker in the end of Episode 3 (except those who've never watched the classic trilogy, in which case they're probably not much interested in Star Wars anyway). I guess what everyone's dying to find out is exactly how and why he turns, but I don't think there are much elements of surprise in that.

For me, personally, I like knowing the story before I watch the movie (which is why I like reading the novel/novelisation first), so that the first time I watch the movie I can focus at seeing how the story is portrayed on screen, rather than on the story itself. (Of course, in subsequent viewings more subtle details would become apparent.)

19. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    I was one of those who read the LOTR book... 3 times thus far. Still went to watch the movie anyway. Reason? The movie offers a different dimension to the whole experience. The book only gives hints of the experience, all the details and stuff. But the visual experience has always been the most wholesome form of story telling.

But I'd be one of those who would be first to have PJ's head on a pike for his blasphemy.

20. aanakin

Dec 17, 2004
    haha.
    anyway, even though i'm not a spoiler free person, i still refuse to read the novelisation as it is a bit too much info...in my certain point of view.

21. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Ha, 3 more days and I can open my eyes wide! 3 more days and I'll be completely spoiled!

:D

22. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Jazz, you will never be spoiled... once the movie is out "being spoiled" is a state that no longer exists... catch my drift?? :)

aanakin, I STILL haven't read the novelisation either... not because I don't have it, or that I don't want to read it... but because I've been too busy with work and everyday living... I just do my best to read and know as much as possible, given whatever free time I have... after all, knowledge is a journey and not a destination, and when the movie comes out, there will still be more to know and learn and discuss... the "training" is never really complete.

23. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
  24. Jedi_Healer

Jedi_Healer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    > The movie offers a different dimension to the whole experience. The book only gives hints of the experience, all the details and stuff. But the visual experience has always been the most wholesome form of story telling.
    Not really..no. True, the movies helped visualise some things that could not be told (the places, scenery and stuff), and widened our imagination, but they didn't really tell the story properly... PJ left out like, SO MANY important stuff. I would prefer it much better if he stuck with the book Tolkien wrote.

> But I'd be one of those who would be first to have PJ's head on a pike for his blasphemy.
    Don't be too sure about that.. Hehe but if you're first, I'll be coming in a close second! :p

Anyway, back to the point of this thread...
    I'm about half half I guess, more towards the "I-know-everything" than the "I-Know-Nothing" though.. I wasn't going to read (and still haven't other than the first few pages I couldn't resist!) the novelisation though, felt it was too much info. But I have read the Visual Dictionary, flipped through the Making of ROTS, read other spoilers stuff etc...

25. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    <PJ left out like, SO MANY important stuff.>

Unfortunately, he also ADDED IN so much useless stuff - especially in TTT. I'm all for changing certain details to suit the medium, but I felt that what he did in TTT was way overboard - the pacing was off, and the story didn't even make complete sense.

Surprisingly, I didn't feel the same way when I first watched the extended edition...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.