main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

sponsor

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by darthtuttle, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I have a star wars website. Where do I find a sponsor for it?

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    What do you mean by sponsor?

3. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    some one who will pay me to promote thier product, an affiliate program were i can sign up even though i'm less than 18

4. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    you. cant. make. money. off. of. star. wars. related. things... [face_plain]

5. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Sure you can. TFN sells Star Wars autographs, for example.

6. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    It's tricky. I think TFN sells stuff to pay for their considerable hosting costs. (These forums alone pull massive bandwidth.) The key thing is, you can't make a profit - it's illegal. And it's not likely that your average fan site is going to have the same kind of regular costs as a site like TFN.

And quite frankly, if you're doing a Star Wars site to make money, you're doing it for the wrong reasons anyway.

7. Destined_Jedi

Destined_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    I think TFN sells stuff to pay for their considerable hosting costs.

I'm sure they more than break even. :p

8. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i'm not saying you cant sell stuff... but you cant use SW related things to draw people in and then sell things to those ppl, but then again u might go unnoticed or lucasfilm wouldnt care... but thats not for sure...
    i heard that tfn has some deal or smthng with lucasfilm, etc, but i dont really know...

9. Dunc T'racen

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm sure they more than break even.

Yeah, and I've heard that at one point they were donating the excess to charity. I've also heard other, less savory things, but far be it from me to spread vicious secondhand gossip.

Still, it's toeing the line, and something to best be avoided. If you make a profit with LFL's product, they can shut you down.

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Forget about money Tuttle, just stick with affiliations so you can get your name out there.

Besides, I think Freewebs has a thing against that unless you start paying them too.. Dunno. Just stick with what you have, get affiliates, get your name out there, and HAVE FUN!! ;)

11. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Guys, you are confused about the law somehow. You can sell Star Wars items on any website you want (as long as it's YOUR website...free hosts have their own rules).

Common examples: Star Wars autographs, action figures, collectibles, VHS copies. Anything legally licensed you a free to resell.

12. Dunc T'racen

Mar 11, 2000
    Yes, but he's basically asking people to pay him for running a fan site.

That's illegal, at least if he uses anything that falls under LFL copyrights (like stills) on it. The reselling issue I'll give you.

13. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Yes, that is all correct.

14. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    reselling is fine, but using SW to draw people in to buy stuff that is being sold/resold is questionable.

15. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    wut about an affiliate program

16. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    thanks maxveers, idecided to make a stwr wars website i thoudgt of earning some extra cash while i was at it, i just want to get paid to promote, or get money off of an affiliate program, i wasn't thinking of any one paying me to run the sight, i'ld run it minus making any money

17. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I use amazon's affiliate program to promote books. I make enough to pay for the web site though I haven't updated in a long time so my sales are going down. Hopefully there will be a major update in the next month though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.