main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spore and Will Wright's New Way of Making Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The_Flargg, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    On Gamespy.com, there is an article about Will Wright's new idea in how games should be made, and he gave an example of what it would be like. His idea is that, due to all of the people and money needed to develop games, it would be easier if the gamer him/herself made the content. How? Read the article. I must say, this is the most brilliant idea in the history of gaming. Will Wright is now my favorite game developer.

Redirected to: Link.

2. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Will Wright=best developer ever!

3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Damn that game sounds excellent, like a game version of some of the evolution sims universities have... I will have to be on the lookout for that one.

EDIT: With each new page of the article that game sounds better and better. Wow.

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I thought his Game Design bias was always pretty weak seeing as the only good games he's come up with have been Sim City and The Sims, but after reading what this man got up to at GDC last year, I was shocked to see how innovative his ideas are. If I recall rightly, his plan was to turn Battlefield 1942 into a kiss-em-up, where in the misdt of a battlefield, two players are selected at random, and must make their way to the middle of the war to embrace/kiss/etc. Certainly different :p

5. The_Flargg

Jun 29, 2004
    Yes, he definately is a great developer. This will be a great game!

6. The_Flargg

Jun 29, 2004
    Come on, don't people care about this at all? We're talking about a REVOLUTION here. Show some interests, denizens of this forum!

7. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I saw this earlier today, and it looks very cool. :D

It's amazing to read that those models are going to be about 1k in size, and that the games smart enough to figure out how to deal with the movement of pretty much any type of creature. This will be a huge leap in the ways game are designed if it turns out well as it sounds.

The game also sounds very fun. :D

Oh, and because I imagine a lot of people are too lazy to find the article themselves, here it is.

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Wow. I just read the whole article. That sounds absolutely incredible-- both the game, and especially the way in which he's making it.

I can't believe that the game is "figuring out" so much on the fly, like animations, physics, creature movement, and even which body part is best suited for picking up a spear. With no animation or motion-capturing, that is absolutely incredible.

I'm stunned.

9. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    *Scrapes jaw off ground*

Holy cripes on toast...

I looked through this thread and saw people just stunned with amaezement, but I thought, 'Nah, it can't be THAT good, right?' Man, I was wrong. All I can possibly say is that I WANT THAT GAME! Will Wright is the loopiest, most crazy, insane, nutty mad scientist-esque GENIUS ever. Wow.

10. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    That sounds amazing. I hope I get to work on projects like that in a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.