main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Spring 2008 Role Playing Forum Awards - ***Winners Announced***

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Voted!

2. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Well, I voted. And, I feel great about it.

3. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    VOTED

**BURP!**

4. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Well, I voted...

5. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    In the future, there should be a clearer distinction for the past winners in terms of who won for best GM and who won for best player, unless winning one makes you automatically ineligible to win the other next round.

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    ^^^^

Thats correct Lightwarden. The whole reason why the awards even care about past winners is that NP believed it was good to spread the colors around. Since both best GMs and best RPers get colors, it doesn't matter which one you get really. If you got colors in the awards, you won't be getting em until another year passes.

I've gotten something to the tune of 13 votes! Keep it coming people! :)

-I_H

7. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I voted! ...do I get a pat on the head now? [face_batting] :p

8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    *pats spacey on the head*

9. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
  10. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    You want a cookie as well?

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    You should consider removing that. I mean, back in the days when the Yankees performed well in the postseason, Bud Selig didn't disqualify them from winning the title the next season (one of the few intelligent things he's done in his tenure as MLB's Commish). And it was back in those days that were the most exciting and memorable. Remember the 2001 World Series? Yanks vs. Diamondbacks? The ultimate David vs. Goliath story, and one of the greatest World Series' in baseball history. No one expected the D'backs to win, but they did, and in glorious fashion.

And take Tom Hanks, back-to-back Best Actor Oscar winner for his roles in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump respectively. When he won in '94, the Academy didn't disqualify him for the trophy in '95.

Point being, I'm of the mind that believes things are more exciting when you've got a dynasty in place. Doesn't it encourage people to perform better to usurp their reign? I mean, you might have one player who wins a Best RPer award for three consecutive seasons, and then you've got people saying "Alright, I need to do something here that will make people vote for me instead of them." But if you disqualify a winner not only for the next season, but for the next three seasons (which I find ridiculous), you've got people saying "Alright, they're out of the way, maybe I'll win next time," with little to no motivation to improve.

That's my two cents on the matter. Take it how you will.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I disagree, Reynar.

Sometimes in these awards, it's popularity, and sometimes it's damn decent roleplaying; so sometimes a winner will win because they always get nominated and people think highly of them, and sometimes it's because a player has really stepped up, going above and beyond expectations of what we think of as "good" roleplaying.

So if we were to abolish the current disqualifying system, we could a string of wins that don't really mean much - a player who, albeit very good, doesn't deserve it in light of someone else's contributions, could dominate.

Of course, the system we have now also means that a great GM who suddenly becomes a great RPer won't win anything, no matter how much they deserve it.

If that makes any sense, then my job is done.

13. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Perhaps a good way to solve that problem is to post the exact character and game that you are nominating the player for. That makes it more like the Oscars, where actors are nominated for an outstanding performances in specific roles, not just for being an actor.

14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have been completely uninvolved on this site since last July, so I am going to skip entering in a vote this time around.

I do however want to wish everyone the best of luck, and remember to have fun. :)

[face_peace]

15. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Damn, I missed my chance to vote. [face_plain] Oh well, I haven't been much involved lately myself...so I'll just wait to congratulate the winners. ;)

16. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, just realized I looked at the end of the nomination round, I can still vote. Yay! :p

17. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Or, perhaps the length of the disqualification could be shortened to one season...?

I kind of agree with Reynar, and I agree with what we have now, as well. I mean, I believe it would be a cause of more competitive RPing if this system wasn't in place. Though, that's not what this is forum is about. It's about having fun, and sometimes, competitiveness can take the fun out of it. With not being allowed to win consecutively, it allows for other, newer players to shine. So, I guess I think the ineligibility rule is for the best.

18. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Nemy beat me to it. There's legitimate arguments pro and con, so what if a winner is only ineligible for two awards cycles, instead of three? Or one?

19. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
  20. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    I'd say one award cycle is best.

21. Radiance

Radiance Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2007
    Personally I like Jango's idea. If people actually see how well the person is posting by reading what they are being nominated for it makes for a much more interesting contest. That would in effect negate most of the popularity area.

*shrugs*

22. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Perhaps when nominating a person an example of their writing can be posted as well.

Just like the Oscars, scenes are always shown from the role in which they are nominated.

23. Darth_Allana

Darth_Allana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    I agree with LZM, but would add that it should be done when the nominees are locked in so that it cuts down on the clutter.

24. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Or, a link to a page where they have an example, so as to not have all the clutter. If at all possible, one could find the post in their view latest posts, that way, a provided link would go directly to their post. (I realize this could be kind of confusing, so if you need clarification, just say so ;))

25. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Are you taking notes, IH?????[face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.