main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring Button Pipe Locks

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I want to build portable bluescreen holders and reflector frames out of PVC. Rather than gluing things together, or hoping that they fit tight enought to not fall apart I would like to use those little metal spring button locks. I'm not really sure what they are called, and need to find a supplier.
    If you think of two telescoping pipes the lock is inside the smaller pipe and pushes a button through to a hole in the bigger pipe.
    If you know of a supplier (and know what they are called) I would greatly appreciate it.

2. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Try pool suply shops. Those clips are used to snap attachments on/off those poles for cleaning pools. Also maybe vacuum stores (clips used for vacuum accessories and pipes)

Have fun.

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Last year in theater we had to build a collapseable backdrop for a show we toured.

It was made by taking 1 inch PVC and making a frame 16 ft across and 10 ft high. No glue was used and it was only held together by the connector pieces. Point being, I don't think you're going to need any any spring button locks.

I was thinking of recreating one for my own use so I could have a portable blue screen that I could even use outside to take advantage of natural lighting.

4. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    So, you are saying that I am trying too hard?! My wife thinks that too! LOL!!! I guess I'll just take your advice and simplify, stick with connectors.
    Thanks for the personal experience.

5. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Usually PVC will hold together very well, but if you need a slightly tighter fit that you can still get apart, you can always use some thin tape and do one or two wraps on the end, it will fit much more snugly that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.