Spring movie thread

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I went to see Scooby Doo 2 with my wife and son on Saturday night and it was (at least I thought) better than the first one! The special effects on all of the characters was awesome. The story was pretty good and best of all... Velma had on an outfit that tops the bikini she wore in the first movie [face_love].
  2. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Velma: "Who's your mommy?"
    [droooool]

Mysterio would be awesome for a movie idea :) The "problem" with the movies is they have to establish the villian's backstory and they end up taking over the movie.
    Ah well...
  3. Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ya, but the build up can be good, as long as they pick an interesting villian.
  4. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Has anyone else seen Hellboy yet? I saw it last week. Considering I've never read the comic (not that I make a habit of comparing the comics to the movie) but after having seen it I thought it was pretty good. The fight scenes between Hellboy and the monsters were good too. The blend of CGI for the fight scenes (and other scenes where it was needed) wasn't too overdrawn but complimented the action nicely.
  5. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree! Never picked up the comic but I really enjoyed the movie. It's a perfect kickoff summer-movie.
    Action, monsters, involving characters, cool villian (Kroenan, who kinda reminds me of Voldo from Soul Caliber lol)
    Can't wait for Van Helsing, but I know it's a Sommers' movie so my expectation is to be entertained. I don't think he knew what he was taknig on throwing all those classic monsters into one film...So far it looks like medieval Batman/James Bond vs Monster Sqad
  6. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just went and saw Troy earlier this week and was very impressed with the movie. I would definately put it up there with the Braveheart/Gladiator quality of movies. Forming the story around Achillies' character and blending that with the battle between the Greeks and the Trojans was done very well. I'd definately recommend it to anyone thinking of seeing it, as long as you don't mind sitting for 2hrs-40min anyway.
  7. JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Master

star 2
    Just got home from NJ and went from dropping off my things at house to the Randolph theater to see THE DAY AFTER ... great movie... NOW to wait till Potter comes out and go back to the theater.....

Anyone else want to go as a group and see that one maybe next week ?????

Also, when is the next meeting so I can try and make it ???

Justin Manning
  8. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    The next meeting should be on June 19th as far as I know. I'm so excited for Harry Potter on Friday...I'm going to go see it with a couple of people from the Cleveland FF. :)
  9. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    One of these days I'm going to sit down and watch the 1st two so that I can keep up with my son on this... Potter fellow ;).
  10. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't cheat yourself by just watching the movies! Read the books, they're really really good. :D
  11. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree, you should read the books, they are really, really good.
  12. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    FYI: The IMAX at NEAQ will be showing Harry Potter! Advance tix now on sale and there is a 12am show on Friday. :)
  13. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Aahh! They better still be showing it there when I get back!
  14. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't cheat yourself by just watching the movies! Read the books,

Book?!? What's a book I-)?
  15. JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Master

star 2
    Is that midnight thursday into friday or friday into saturday ????

Roseanna if you want those of use who want to see it at IMAX could always wait to see it there with you....

and see regular size before then ... if thats the movie we see for June meet...

Still do not know my hours for that saturday... I may be working.... Roche bros. is opening a new store that week in Mashpee I think ??? Not sure exact place.... so not sure what my hours are going to be that week

Chat with you all soon,
    Justin Manning
  16. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be 12:01am Friday morning :)
  17. Rogue-Girl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Troy stunk, Day After Tommorow I may see but I don't expect much from it. Scooby Doo will be one I won't mind missing, based on the stinky first one.

Harry Potter, Spiderman 2, Shrek 2 and maybe the punisher are the ones I really am eager for!
  18. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Troy stunk,

You didn't like Troy? What was it about the movie you didn't like? I'm not as up-to-speed on my Greek mythology as I used to be o_O but I thought that it was pretty well done.

Scooby Doo will be one I won't mind missing, based on the stinky first one.

OMG!!! They weren't Oscar worthy but they were both fun to watch.

Harry Potter, Spiderman 2, Shrek 2 and maybe the punisher are the ones I really am eager for!!

I can't wait for Spiderman 2 to come out either!!! My wife and son already saw Shrek 2 but I'm gonna drag them out to see it again. The Punisher came and went already, you'll have to catch that one on DVD.
  19. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Shrek 2 was so funny, you should go see it.
  20. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Van Helsing - Good concept, bad movie. I thought that Hugh Jackman did a great job, but the script was horrible, the plot was weird and rushed, and some of the other acting brought it down.

Shrek 2 - It was okay. I mean, as a movie, it was good, but I could not get as into it as my friends did. I didn't find it as funny, but it's Shrek 2, it's a delightful little romp.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - I would recommend it. Best of the HP movies so far. Better acting, better chemistry, and better overall movie feel than the last two. I loved it.
  21. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm kinda mixed on PoA. The first half felt more like a montage than a movie. I know they have to compress it from the book, but it felt like they were showing the bare minimum. There was almost no plot to it for awhile, the scenes were there only to build up for things they had to explain for later in the film. Maybe it's the new director?
    The threat of Sirius should have been more felt. And they really should have kept in the whole sub-plot of Snape and Lupin.
    Don't get me wrong, I did like the movie. Dementors were wicked. Buckbeak, amazing! The shots going throught the clock gears when they used the Turner, brilliant!
    Hopefully they will split up GoF into 2 films. With the books getting longer and longer, they'll have to pare down too much and will sacrifice some of the story.
  22. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree. I would have preferred a 3 hour movie with more content. I know some people can't sit through long movies, but some just have to be long.
  23. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think they're trying to keep them short for the kids, but you know, I bet the same kids that would read an 800+ page book would sit through a 3hr movie!
  24. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Went to see Shrek 2 this weekend. Just as good as the original as far as I remember. I haven't seen it since it was in theatres.
    I loved some of the little almost hidden jokes. Not really spoilers if you haven't seen the movie, just little things to catch:

The love potion bottle has IX written on it.
    During the..uh..giant attack at the end: terrfied customers run out of a Farbucks and into another one directly across the street.
  25. Rogue-Girl Jedi Knight

star 1
    in response to your questions, jedioutcast77, troy had horrible dialog and script! Pitt did a good job though...and the battle scenes were anything but monumental...and the love of helen and paris was short and stupid...hardly the 'face that launched a thousand ships' or the passion that I always thought went along with the whole myth! just a let down...(I was expecting more gladiator or lotr level epic movie...but yet i realized it was just another semi-good one)

scooby doo wasn't even funny for me...a childhood classic gone wrong :(

the punisher is still out here in Australia :) hehehe (I return to boston july 6th), study abrooad)

I am seeing SHrek 2 this saturday woot!

Van Helsing was good if you just wanted to go see a movie and be entertained for a couple hours...no great shakes but could have been better if the dialog had been less contrived and predictable.

I just saw HP last night!!! Awesome! While I felt that it left out so much of the cool 'harry potter world' fun things that Rowling puts in her books, it made it up with the improved plot line and flow, the darker quality of action sequences, (action sequences were just better developed anyways...) and it also compensated by the better cinematography....just beautiful shots and angles!!!! especially the stairs down to hagrid's hut shots, and the clock shots....

Lupin was perfect, although fudge was too large and tall for me...I pictures a little wizard man who still had a presence in a room. The dementors were AMAZING!!! the patronus charms were great, how they made it like a shield...buckbeak simply fantastic...
    OH and can't forget how the transitions from scene to scene were better, in peticular the blackout scenes when harry faces dementors or falls off his broom etc. (the first two movies kinda made action and fight scenes anticlimactic somehow)

wooo well anyways....thats just my two or three cents...and don't be too hard on my opinions...I have beenstudying for about four hours for a stupid exam!!!
    :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.