main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spy Dramas

Discussion in 'Community' started by soitscometothis, Feb 1, 2016.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I was going to create a specific thread for different spy dramas, but actually since a bunch of spy stories seem poised on the horizon perhaps a general spy fiction thread would be more useful.

Coming up is The Night Manager, a six part serial adapting John le Carré's novel for television. It stars Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Olivia Coleman, Tom Hollander, David Harewood, and Elizabeth Debicki.

Now I do kinda find the trailer a little melodramatic (I prefer my le Carré to be subtley underplayed), but... that cast!

In the States it will be shown on AMC starting on April 19; in the UK I've heard mid Feb suggested (War and Peace ends on the 7th of Feb, so a 14th of Feb debut in the Sunday night slot would be possible).

I've not read the book, but the Beeb's Tinker,Tailor adaptation is some of my favourite TV ever, and I've enjoyed the le Carré novels that I have read, so my fingers are crossed for this one. I'm mentally buying a bottle of wine in readiness for the first episode.

TNM is not the only le Carré on the cards - the move adaptation of Our Kind of Traitor, starring Ewan McGregor, Damian Lewis, and Stellan Stellan Skarsgård must be due to be released soon, but its delay in being released suggests a lack of faith in the film - we'll just have to await reviews.

I'll list my top ten spy films when I get round to compiling it, please feel free to do the same.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are there even 10 recent films?

The only I can think of are Munich, Tinker, and Bridge. Beyond that, you really just lapse into action films.

3. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I wasn't talking about recent. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    ooohh tom hiddleston and hugh laurie

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Spy Kids

Agent Cody Banks

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't worry, it was.

7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    The Austin Powers Trilogy, of course.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Get Smart

9. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I hate all you guys.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've not seen much in the way of movies, but I enjoyed Graham Greene's Power and the Glory. It would be interesting as a film.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Don't forget, Spy Hard, Spies Like Us and Top Secret.

Diggy likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Spy Hard

JW's favourite spy drama is Twelve Angry Men.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There was also A Most Wanted Man, but Wocky only sees films when he can sneak into an abandoned cinema and watch films with a number of adorable yet tragic ghosts for company.

14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Good Shepherd. I felt really bad about the bride being tossed out of a plane.

I liked Haywire. really just an assassin movie, but it hinted at wanting to be a spy movie.

AmySolo likes this.
  15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    You should check out The Quiet American - it's an adaptation of Graham Green novel, and it's good.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Even though it's usually described as more of a political thriller, I always think of Three Days of the Condor as a spy movie if only because of the central role the CIA plays in novel and movie, and it's one of the great ones.

AmySolo, Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sad that there's no longer any quiet Americans around. :p

But yes, it's a great novel. So is The Constant Gardner.

Let's just be clear - the film adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was awful. Watch the BBC one.

Rylo Ken and soitscometothis like this.
  18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Three Days of the Condor is easily in my top five. It's superb.
    I agree, the BBC adaptation is the best. I've seen it six or seven times and it just seems to get better and better.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was super, super disappointed in A Most Wanted Man. It just didn't ever come together. Willem Dafoe was the best thing in it.

Spy Game with Robert Redford is really brilliant; it has a great antagonist in Stephen Dillane.

Talking older stuff: Foreign Correspondent, Sabotage, The 39 Steps, Secret Agent - all Hitchcock stuff. Avoid Torn Curtain at all costs though.

AmySolo and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Two other good choices: "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" (very downbeat, but with a great performance from Richard Burton) and "Our Man in Havana" (with a pre-Smiley Alec Guinness and a good dramatic turn from Ernie Kovacs).

soitscometothis and Ender Sai like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh - the Tailor of Panama. Pierce Brosnan being utterly without redemption.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I watched a BBC series on Netflix a few years ago, I think it was called Wish Me Luck, about British spies in WW2 France. The first season was pretty good, but it turned into a soap opera after that.

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, you're exactly right about Wish Me Luck - good first series, total dreck after that. It's always disappointing to see a good series drop in quality and go the soap route.

The Sandbaggers was a quality British spy series that was very good all the way through. Low budget but very well written. All the episodes are up on YouTube, too.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'd like to see "Agent Zigzag" made into a movie.

25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    That's the double agent in WWII, right? He was an interesting guy for sure. I think there is a film planned in the near future, though I guess the project might fall through - you can't really count on planned films getting made unless there is big money involved.

Rylo Ken likes this.