main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Cutting the IMAX Clones & Your IMAX Reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by chitwood, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Later tonight, TFN will be posting a pretty complete listing of the excises from the IMAX version of Attack of the Clones. Here's a preview of what we believe is a pretty accurate list of many changes from the theatrical version to the IMAX counterpart:

- The "Sound of Music" meadow scene is gone. The whole thing, including the Shaak-riding scene.

- The library scene has been completely removed.

- Part of Anakin and Nat's first arrival on the island resort has been cut out.

- The fireplace scene was shortened just a bit

- The conveyor belt scene seemed shorter

- The end credits are markedly different: after the initial cast credits, it switches from rolling credits to FULL-SCREEN WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF WORDS credits (non-rolling) for the technical credits. He also notes that the soundtrack has been edited to fit, and interestingly, it ends with a fade out of the love theme.

- The Coruscant chase appears to be 100% intact

- It appears that Lucas may have done a lot of digital recompositing to fit the IMAX screen. For example, the scene where Anakin is talking to the Jawa, remember how the orig scene was spread across the entire frame? Well, it looks like the middle has been digitally reduced so that the effect is still the same, even though the screen is not quite as wide an aspect ratio.

- Running time: 1:59:36 (approx).

More later tonight!

Josh

2. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    Very interesting, I thought they would have cut the elevator scene with Obi Wan and Anakin, I hope they didn't!

3. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    Just as long as Yoda and the Younglings didn't get cut. ;)

Speeder chase intact is great news. That's going to be visual bliss.

4. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    that's stupid they cut the meadow scene

they should have just had an intermission, I mean it like every scene in the movie basicallly has to be there for it to be believable...

that really stinks!!!

5. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Wha!!!! the whole meadow scene is gone? That's one of the best scenes in the movie? It's certainly one of the most beautiful, especially on an IMAX screen. How sad. Oh well. Fortunately the Chase is intact.

6. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    It sounds pretty feasible to me. I'm excited for when I get to see it on Saturday. I'm glad they kept the chase scene intact along with the entire arena battle. Although the meadow scene is important for the saga, it's not totally necessary for the movie's flow.

7. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Josh didn't say the whole meadow scene is gone. He said the "Sound of Music" meadow scene. I'd take that to mean no Padme running up across the field as Anakin rides and falls from the Shaak. So it's just the ending part of the meadow scene is sounds like, not the picnic/political conversation part.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think IMAX is just gonna be a visual treat more than anything, and the meadow scene, while pretty, doesn't have much in the way of stunning effects. IMAX wasn't built for shot-reverse-shot dialogue.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. Ghouled-Scarlacc

Ghouled-Scarlacc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/viagara.jpg]

That will look amazing on IMAX!

10. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    We've got to get the IMAX cut released on dvd. They've cut many of the things that were wrong with the movie. So far it sounds like a major improvement.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    funny...I was thinking the same thing.

Less Naboo, less conveyor belt.

All good.

-dust

12. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Not as bad as I thought. I would rather have the chase scene than the Shaak scene anyway. How much of the "fireplace scene" dialogue was cut?

13. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    All action scenes should remain intact.

After all its the epic action and such that is the main purpose of the IMAX experience.

Imagine them leaving some of the love stuff in, but cutting some of the fighting.

It just wouldn't seem right, if that were the case.

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Darn it G-S, now I'm upset they're cutting some meadow, just 'cause of that pic.

You just ruined my life. [face_plain] :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

15. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    We can only hope that after this first dvd comes out that "scam artist" Lucas will come out with a version that includes the "corrective" IMAX cut. I would definitely buy it. Let's start a petition.

16. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm upset that the Meadow Scene was cut out. That was one of my favorite scenes in the film. *sigh*

17. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    Well I love the meadow scene too. It's not like it's getting cut from the movie, just from IMAX version.

And really, I am paying the bucks to see the action of AOTC on an IMAX screen.

I've cherished the meadow scene on the big screen and will do so at home.

An intermission would have been nice. But some SW IMAX is better than no SW IMAX.

18. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Don't forget...something had to be cut!

--Joey

19. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    What about the lightsaber duels? Was there anything added back in (please let there be Anakin with green saber)? Hopefully, they aren't any shorter. The thought of losing more saber fighting is unbearable.

20. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Thank the Force that the Chase scene is intact. I am so..looking forward to that - should be awesome on IMAX.

Also, shortening the Meadow, Fireplace and conveyor belt sequences may tighten things up a bit. I don't think the entire meadow scene is cut - it's too pretty.

21. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    - The "Sound of Music" meadow scene is gone. The whole thing, including the Shaak-riding scene.

SWEET! GL came to his senses. :D

- The library scene has been completely removed.

wasn't that important.

- Part of Anakin and Nat's first arrival on the island resort has been cut out.

Sweet!

- The fireplace scene was shortened just a bit

Good job GL!

- The conveyor belt scene seemed shorter

Thank you again GL. :D

22. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/viagara.jpg]

That's not the meadow 'sound of music' shaak-riding scene. That's the scene where they talk about Padme's ex-boyfriend and it ends with Anakin saying "no no I'd be much to frightened to tease a senator"

Then the shaak-riding begins... hopefully that's all they'll cut, and leave the conversation in.

23. Ghouled-Scarlacc

Ghouled-Scarlacc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
  24. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Nice pics, G-S! :)

Can't wait to see them on IMAX! :D

25. LaterVader

LaterVader Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    This is one little human that will be out of his mind (movie, scene, character?...anyone?) when the asteroid chase scene comes on! I had tears streaming down my face when I saw it on digital screen...especially when both ships are turning tight and Jango's blasting... IT'S INSANE!!! Can't wait to see that on IMAX!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.