main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Cutting the IMAX Clones & Your IMAX Reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by chitwood, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toasted-Jawa

Toasted-Jawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
    " A miss some of the stuff that was cut but it was ncie to see one time. Lots of nice background details. And Padme's new "uh huh" line was a treat. Now bring on the dvd goodness. " RET

Hey Ret i was curious, i watched the IMAX and must say i hated that so much was forced to be cut, especially all the scenes where anakin and padme are interacting (the meeting scene in the beginning, the field scene etc...) But where was the "uh huh" line, i must have missed it, i feel like an idiot for not noticing that. Anyway where did that happene and will it be on the DVD? OUT

2. Toasted-Jawa

Toasted-Jawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
    Carosel, you missed a bunch, dont know if it was on purpose and you just forgot some or if theyd been posted, but ones like :

-OB1 and Anakin meeting padme and binks in her apartment,

- the yoda scene at beginning with palpy and the other jedi.

-bobas shooting on kamino.....etc

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But where was the "uh huh" line, i must have missed it, i feel like an idiot for not noticing that. Anyway where did that happene and will it be on the DVD? OUT <<

When the Clonetrooper asks Padme is she's alright after she fell out of the gunship.

Originally she had the pretty-comical-and-poorly-delivered "yes", now she has a more groaning "uh-huh", which will be the version on the DVD.

4. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Well, went to see IMAX clones and I must say I WAS DISSAPOINTED! I mean, yes it was cool to watch it on a six story tall screen, but other then that it sucked!

The quality was HORRABLE when blown up soo big, I mean you could totally see what was blue screen and what was CGI, it was also grainy.

And my biggest complaint was the cutting of 15 minutes from the film(I knew of this before watching). That was stoooppiiidd. I am not recomending you go see it. BAH!

So says the Movie Man.

5. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    For my 700th post, I will respond to JediKnightPasJoDacle with a resounding...

Poodo!!!

I don't know what they did at your theater, but they ripped you big if it was that grainy. I saw six stories of crystal clear imagery, that made me think I was space walking when Tatooine came into view.

While I agree the CG was so crisp it stood out, I didn't see any blue. GL uses a cutting edge camera with a special channel to cut the blue screen. He doesn't use an XL1 and After Effects. I would go back and make sure they actually got the IMAX format.

I'm sorry your biggest complaint was cutting the 15 minutes, that was my favorite part. I miss not the Dawson's Creek scenes.

6. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    One of the best summaries of the IMAX experience was from a friend:

"In the IMAX version, Natalie Portman was 5 or 6 times as cold!"

Hahaha,

Joey

7. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I actually prefer some things about the IMAX cut. For instance, in the theatrical version, we get this sequence:

1. Obi-Wan reports to Mace and Yoda.

2. Anakin has his nightmare.

3. Anakin tells Padme he must leave for Tatooine.

4. The rain fight between Jango and Obi-Wan.

5. Anakin and Padme arrive on Tatooine.

In the IMAX version, though, it plays as such:

1. Obi-Wan reports to Mace and Yoda.

2. The rain fight between Jango and Obi-Wan.

3. Anakin tells Padme he must leave for Tatooine.

4. Anakin and Padme arrive on Tatooine.

I thought the IMAX flowed much better here than the theatrical version.

I noticed other smaller cuts. For one, the look that Obi-Wan gives out the window of Padme's quarters and the initial pullback of the assassin droid were cut out. It goes straight to Obi-Wan leaping out the window.

8. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I saw absolutely NO grain at the Imax showing here. In fact, there was a part in Dex's diner in the regular theatrical print that did not look good, where the waitress is delivering the drinks to the table, yet in the imax version it was cleaned up and perfect.

Grainy? Nope.

And no evidence of blue screen either.

I was very impressed with the DMR transfer to the IMAX format.

9. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I didn't see grain, but I could see just about every detail imaginable, even the details better left behind (like the texture of Obi-Wan's skin beneath his beard).

10. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I saw the IMAX version yesterday at the Palisades Mall in Nyack, NY (by the way, for those of you in the NY/NJ area go to this theater as it has the widest screen which really does away with some of the "problems" that some people had with "constriction").

The theater was about a third full (for a 4PM show).

First, what are some of you people on???? I saw no image distortion, pixalation, fuzzyness... or whatever else some of you complained about. NONE. The image was gorgeous and the movie has never looked better (I saw it on DLP screens in Edgewater, NJ 11 times and once at the Ziegfeld).

Second... seriously, what site sent those of you that bashed the IMAX version? I think the cuts enhanced the movie (minus one cut and one transition). It even changed cringe-worthy scenes into very good scenes (the fireplace scene, which I never really had a problem with, is paced even better now). Some of the cuts now change dialogue and "intent" which actually gives the scene more power. Plus, except for one cut, all of the transitions to the new scenes work extremely well (and I went in expecting to be bothered by these things after reading some of your comments).

Third, where were these obviously fake effects shots that IMAX draws out? I swear... I looked for anything that would make me say "Wow... that looks fake now" but I didn't see it. I did notice that I was aware of a ton more than I had been when I saw the movie the first 20, or so, times. The IMAX version allows you to see things that you may not have even been aware was in a shot.

Fourth, the sound is AMAZING! from the first shot to the last I kept saying to myself "Wow! This is so cool!" If only every theater had sound like that... I have always said that a home theater system (with DVD) is better than the theater... but I take it back. IMAX wins hands down.

Finally, I have not seen the movie since early July and I had intended to wait until the DVD came out so as not to ruin it for myself the way I did with TPM. I am glad I changed my mind and saw it at IMAX. So far this has been my favorite viewing of the movie.

Great job IMAX and the Lucas people who made this happen.

RB

11. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    when you people say you saw it in imax..do you mean a huge screen or a dome-all around screen? just wondering..\

because if it is just a big screen..big deal..i saw it..13 times on a digital cinema with a big screen..why should i go se this..i tought i might get the feeling that im flying ..like that back to the future ride on universal..thats like a real imax.. do you actually feel like your inside the movie or not?

i just dont want to travel..far to go see this..if its just another..flat screen...

12. Razorback

Oct 2, 2001
    because if it is just a big screen..big deal..i saw it..13 times on a digital cinema with a big screen..why should i go se this..i tought i might get the feeling that im flying ..like that back to the future ride on universal..thats like a real imax.. do you actually feel like your inside the movie or not?

Ignorance.

RB

13. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    Homeless_Jedi....It's not just a big flat screen. IT's ten stories. IT's is slightly curved and gives you that slight feeling of flying. ALso the sound itself of the IMAX is reason enough to go.

Anyone agree with me and think they should have done a 3D version too. HEhe that woulda been cool.

14. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    Maybe I'm lucky, or have blurry vision that I was unaware of, but I thought the efx looked even better on the IMAX. I was amazed at how real all of the creatures, coruscant, and clonetroopers looked. I still find it hard to believe that none of the clonetroopers are 'real'. Yoda looked amazing, and the droids looked very polished. :cool:

The love scenes were cut better in the IMAX version, especially when Anakin first kisses Padme. It would be interesting to see them that way with the rest of the film untouched.

Overall, I thought the IMAX version was just a bigger, louder version than I saw in the regular theater. The ability to see everything in such detail makes an IMAX viewing well worth the trip.

EDIT: I would strongly recommend that you sit towards the back. I was in the middle, and some action scenes gave me quite a headache!

15. Razorback

Oct 2, 2001
    AttackoftheCorn, I sat all the way in the back. Perhaps that is why I saw no problems (did the same thing at the DLP shows that I saw).

Any movie looks fuzzy and flawed if you sit too close.

RB

16. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I actually noticed some subtlities in people's performances on the IMAX screen that I hadn't noticed before. Particularly, Natalie the morning after Anakin's had his nightmare, and Ewan when he meets Jango. There is an eye exchange between Obi-Wan and Jango that I never caught before, but picked up on during the IMAX version. That's one of the things that I really appreciated about the IMAX version.

I also thought, strangely, that the love story worked better with the cuts that were made. On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed the IMAX version, and would love to get it on DVD someday.

17. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Just for refference perpases, I went to the Universal City Walk IMAX in Hollywood, CA.

18. Gungan_Sith_Lord

Gungan_Sith_Lord Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    I saw it last Saturday in Dearborn Mi.

I liked the subtle detail, but do lament the loss of some scenes. The Owen/Anakin introduction, Palpy's office, Jar-Jar's tricking, and the picnic (and just the picnic), if reinserted, would have made the movie perfect.

Anyone wanna lay odds on a special edition Imax AotC DVD?

19. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    <quigon>I'll take that bet...</quigon>

--Joey

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Just got back from seeing it...

Wow. I never thought I'd see a 6 story tall Yoda before. :p

I noticed most of the cuts that they made, but it didn't seem to disrupt the story too much. Maybe that's because I knew the story beforehand.

I thought the quality was great. I was expecting the picture to be fuzzy, since the digital original only had so much detail. They did a great job transferring the film over.

I noticed a lot of little things that I hadn't noticed before, simply due to the size of the picture.

I went to a 5:40 PM show, and it was probably 85-90% full.

21. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I went to see IMAX today (Wednesday) for the 6.40 pm show and the theater was 80% full. And there were less than 10 kids - everyone else was an adult. IMAX AOTC is doing great! :D.

The picture quality and sound were awesome. The cuts were not that bad - some of them actually improved the story. I SO wish they would show ANH on IMAX. In fact, all the OT.

The IMAX theater I went to (Dearborn, MI), was not a dome. I wonder if AOTC IS being shown on a "dome" IMAX anywhere?

22. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    forever jedi, AotC is being played here in Huntsville, AL and it is a dome. I haven't been able to go YET, :_| but from what others have said on here it looked good (see Huntsville Fanforce), I'm a little skeptical but will still go. I think in a dome it is more important to sit in the center.

23. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    Saw the IMAX version last night. Overall, I thought it flowed much better than the theatrical cut, but I thought they could have at least let Jimmy Smits keep his lines and not change him to just one more man standing on the balcony at the end.

That said, AOTC in IMAX format is un-freakin-believable! You honestly feel as though you are in outer space with the characters or in Coruscant during the major sequences in said areas. The battle sequences at the end become even more sweeping, and above all else, Natalie Portman's beauty is magnified while everyone else just gets their pimples and zits revealed. ;)

24. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Yes...AOTC on IMAX format was great....I'll see it again during Thanksgiving holiday...

25. WesmanY2k

WesmanY2k Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    You have got to be kidding me....

Im from Huntsville lol!

went to see it the opening night (on the dome)

it was great.... especially when you feel like your gonna fall out of your seat and town to the dephs of Coruscant.

Anyway, felt a little jipped about the cut scenes, even when i had heard a little about it before i went.

all in all, it wasnt so bad, i like the Clones attacking now, when before i didnt care for it at all...

the super mario part was MUCH smoother...

the porblem with the dome, is that on close up shots of the characters, their head gets stratched all funny :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.