SPY REPORT: Cutting the IMAX Clones & Your IMAX Reactions

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Joshua Griffin, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Master

star 3
    So one question for everybody who saw it on IMAX format.
    Would you pay that same amount of money to see ANH, TESB & ROTJ. On IMAX format, not all together of course but lets say if they showed them each for 2 months in 2004 just before EPS 3 came out.

2. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Darth Blasphemous Jedi Master

star 4
    I definitely would, but I doubt it's possible. AOTC was shot digitally, so blowing it up to IMAX was no real problem. However, the others were not shot in such a manner, so the only option would be blowing them up to 70MM, which would result in great amounts of grain.
  4. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would definitely enjoy watching the OT in an IMAX screen... I think I wouldn't care too much if the picture looked a bit grainy, the *experience* would be aweeeesommmmeee!!! :)
  5. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ah, but Darth Blasphemous, you forget 2 important things:

1. IMAX's DMR process is designed to work with regular 35 mm prints, as it will allow them to put up any regular movie onto the IMAX screen: Apollo 13, Lion King, plus many, many more to follow. In fact, IMAX had to come up with a creative way to transcribe the digitally stored version of AOTC due to the fact there there was not film stock from which they could start!

2. Don't forget that all of the OT was digitally remastered for the Special Editions, so they are all sitting on some huge hard drive in George's private bungalow somewhere, just a-waitin' the call....! :)
  6. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, I finally got to see it today, and all I have to say is:

O.
    M.
    G!!!!!!111!!!11!!1

It was absolutely beautiful. The edit (though missing a few nice details) was the edit we should have seen this summer. The sound was amazing. I expected to see some pixelation (though not grain, since the IMAX film has a ultra high-density film grain), but only caught the slightest bit in Anakin's eyebrows when he was outdoors on Tatooine. The only other problem I noticed was a distortion on the legs of the city on Kamino, but that passed so quickly and was so minor that it didn't make a difference.

The love story flowed much more realistically, giving you more of a "there's more going on than what we're being shown" rather than the forced romance feeling of the original cut. Finally the battle scenes -- unbelievable. Anyone who claims that the WETA effects are in the same league as ILM's is off their rocker. Part of that may have to do with the fact that GL had the good sense to remove the one rather weak CG scene for this version.

I like it -- a lot. Can you tell?
  7. WesmanY2k Jedi Knight

star 1
    Which scene is that? (just curious)
  8. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    "Well, I finally got to see it today, and all I have to say is:

O.
    M.
    G!!!!!!111!!!11!!1"

That's what I like to hear. :) The reviews have been very mixed, and I expected to hear more people say how cool an experience it was. I can't wait to see it this weekend.

WesmanY2k, I'd put my money on Qui Gon Jim23's "one rather weak CG scene" being Anakin riding the Shaak. Although, I didn't really have a problem with this scene, I'm sure that's what he's talking about.
  9. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Obi-Wan 20001 The reviews have been very mixed
    Actually, the reviews have really not been that mixed - they have been rather positive overall, I think! And what's not to like? Great sound, awesome picture. The story flows wonderfully - especially the romance is much better in this version. The IMAX romance version really illustrates "Less is more," leaving much more to the imagination. The acting seems much better, since quite a few "wooden" acting scenes have been excised. It's more action-packed, as a SW movie should be. Yes, a few cuts (the Palpy stuff) would have led to a slightly different story. In the IMAX version, Palpy's string-pulling appears less obvious and it seems that events are occuring as fated, not as a result of his evil genius.

I think many of the "bad" reviews come from people who miss the "love story", especially on Naboo. Also, perhaps some may have sat too close to the screen - it is really important to sit as far back as possible in IMAX. I just wish that I could see ANH on IMAX some day - the final Death Star battle would be jaw-dropping, to say the least.
  10. BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Master

star 3
    Just saw it tonight

WOW, just excellent. Sound was pounding
    Better than digital. I had seen the movie three times before. But this screen is soo big that you will hear and see things you never noticed before

Some are asking whether it's worth it with the DVD coming out next week. I say o yeah.

I was amazed at how clear the screen was, i expected less sharpness, but the digital filming paid off for this format.

I don't want to diss anybody's opinion.

But i don't know how anybody could dislike this presention of a Star Wars movie. If your a real fan this is a must see.
  11. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    AOTC IMAX is an experience you'll never forget. It's great! At least it was for me. I've seen it twice now and I want to see it again. I'm looking forward more to my next IMAX viewing than I am to the DVD, to be honest.

Anyway, my suggestion to anyone on the fence is to definately see AOTC in IMAX. You'll have a great time.

12. darthsidious32 Jedi Master

star 4
    "I don't know how anybody could dislike this presention of a Star Wars movie. If your a real fan this is a must see."

I don't know how anybody could dislike the original presention of this Star Wars movie. If your a real fan, the original cut is also a must see.

:)

I still have yet to see this IMAX version. I'm on vacation right now, and won't get a chance to see it until I get back. WAAAAAAA!!! :(
  13. JediPrincessKas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't know how anybody could dislike the original presention of this Star Wars movie. If your a real fan, the original cut is also a must see.

I didn't have a big problem with the original cut. :) Just the experience of seeing this movie on an Imax screen was something I couldn't miss out on. I LOVED it! I am going to see it again in 2 weeks. I noticed so much more watching the movie on Imax. I didn't really even notice the cuts that much. They did a nice editing job. :) And the sound...it was AMAZING The siesmic (ok, so I can't spell) charges sounded even more amazing than they did before! I heard you could hear them from all the way in the lobby of the Imax. 8-} This was most definitely one of the best Star Wars experiences ever, and if you've got the chance, go see it. :)

JPK
  14. darthgetalife Jedi Master

star 3
    sorry if it's a double post , but here goes a link to a AOTC IMAX review : http://www.boxofficemojo.com/review/movies/?id=starwars2imax.htm
  15. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the link to that review, darthgetalife. :)

The excitement is building. I get to finally see it in all its stunning IMAX glory tomorrow. Yah!
  16. 3rdaxis Jedi Knight

star 1
    LOL... I saw it at Huntsville as well last night :)

Absolutely wonderful! My only complaint is the curviness to which many of the scenes played on the dome... distracting to say the least... seeing people become coneheads at the edge of the screen :(

Overall though, a very unique experience.
  17. scuzzbuster Jedi Padawan

The IMAX cut, in my opinion should be the definitive cut of the film.

E2 was a mish mash at best. In the original cut, the first hour of the film was about the worst Star Wars of the six films to date, and the last hour was about the best.

This cut fixes the first hour. All the lines that made you cringe in the love story the first time around are gone.

And FORGET the meadow scene and by far the worst special effect in the film (the damned cow). It's a shame we'll probably never see the IMAX cut again, because I don't even want to go back and watch the original cut again. While I barely ranked this film above TPM on first viewing, the IMAX cut is leaps and bound better than Jedi, but not nearly the film ANH or ESB are.

This restored my faith in the series...only because they KNEW what to cut to make this a better film. We can only hope that they make decisions this good during the first pass of editing E3.
  18. Phaedrus76 Jedi Knight

Quick note: I already posted this in its own thread before I knew that this one was here...sorry for the duplication.

I went to see the IMAX version of AOTC, and I have to admit I was really rather disappointed- I wonder if anyone else felt that way?
    First, I have to admit this was my first-ever IMAX film, so maybe my expectations for the format itself are to blame. From what I was told, IMAX was "huger than huge," and yet, looking at the screen, I just felt it was big- but not particularly overwhelming (for those of you wondering, I saw it at the NYC IMAX theater.) I've been in smaller "specialty" theaters like the Walt Disney World 350-degree theaters and felt really in awe. To me, IMAX was just like upgrading from a 25" to a 36" television. It's cool that it's bigger, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference.
    I was also disappointed in the cuts. It's my understanding that IMAX films have to be a certain length to fit the projectors, so I undersand the need. However, it really made a move that was already hard to follow at points that much more disjointed. I "got" it because I'd seen the real thing several times, but I can recall overhearing one girl (the date of a fan), who'd never seen the film before, talking about her own confusion, and I totally understood. Should a movie really be released that's ONLY designed for someone who's seen it before? And if it is, shouldn't they at least warn the paying customers of that fact before taking their money. (Forgive me for the nebulous "they," but I don't know whom to lay the blame on.)
    Finally, I agree that the IMAX format made the special effects much clearer. I don't, however, agree that that's a good thing. The large format only made the stil-unresolved disparity between CGI effects and physical rubber effects that much clearer to me. The backgrounds and non-"living" objects looked great, but the creatures and aliens looked phony and unsatisfying to me this time around. My first thought upon seeing the IMAX'ed Dexter Jettster and Yoda was, "ILM needs to work on its fabric rendering software." Sure, the clothing moves the way it ostensibly should, but Dex's T-Shirt and Yoda's robe still look insubstantial to me. Plus, CGI "characters" still "slither." I almost feel the movements of, say, a Taun We or a Nexu are TOO detailed and choreographed, like the CGI would be better served by blurring a frame every second or even eliminating one entirely. In fact, Yoda's fight scene was one of the more "real" feeling things to me, precisely because it was so hard to follow individually. When real people in movies (and even in real life) move, the eye tends to focus on the starting point, one or two middle points, and the ending point of individual actions. You undertand that movement has taken place, but you don't concentrate on every inch. With CGI, you see the complete arc of any movement, and it feels unreal. Look at the Kaminans again- even creatures with delicate features wouldn't move THAT sinuously, would they?
    What especially bothered me about the IMAX was that it forced me to think about these things again, when, between Episodes I and II I had pretty much reconciled myself to the peculiarities of CGI and had stopped noticing the things about it that have always bothered me. Now I've actually downgraded my feelings on the effects in general, and it's a shame. Maybe some things are better left alone?
  19. Phaedrus76 Jedi Knight

A couple more quick comments (not that anyone reads 13-page deep threads, anyway <sigh>).
    1. As an actor, I can only say that I hope to hell nobody ever blows my face up on an IMAX screen. Nobody's complexion came off looking pretty, believe me. (And the makeup became obvious).
    2. *I* for one though the library scene was VERY important, as it clearly showed how arrogant the jedi had become ("If it isn't [here], it doesn't exist," indeed.)
  20. Palpateen Jedi Master

star 4
    Phaedrus, plenty of people have already seen the library scene in the original theatrical version, and now they have the DVD and they can see it there, too. In effect, IMAX is just one "version" of the film now. In some way, AOTC Imax is AOTC "lite." :)

The makeup only bothered me a time or two during the IMAX showing. Palpatine's close up in the Senate didn't look too good, on the other hand, he's not supposed to!
  21. JediMasterKettch Jedi Knight

I saw AOTC in IMAX on Sunday, and the one word I can think of is AWESOME!!

I noticed all the cuts (after all, I saw the original theatrical version ten times), but it didn't take away from the experience I wanted and got.

It's not that I wanted a lot of what was taken out to be taken out (some of my favorite lines are in those cut scenes), however, in my opinion, the IMAX version of AOTC should be like all other IMAX movies: a presentation of dazzling imagery. So, I went looking forward to seeing the Jedi (especially Yoda), the clones, the battle droids, the reek, the nexu, and the acklay all in action. That's exactly what I got.

*Special side-note* My mom mentioned the fact that she never knew Natalie Portman had a chicken-pox scar right between her eyes :D ...Did anyone else notice that?
  22. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    My mom mentioned the fact that she never knew Natalie Portman had a chicken-pox scar right between her eyes

So that's what it was? Huh. Interesting.

I can't wait to see AOTC in IMAX again now that I've watched the DVD... :)
  23. Dearth_Scrupulous Jedi Padawan

I just saw the film with friends at the Richmond Science Museum IMAX theater in Virginia. This theater has a ?tilted hemispherical projection dome, 23 meters in diameter and almost 5 stories tall, tilted at a 27 degree angle and has a 40% reflectivity..? so you get the full picture, including the ceiling back to the rear wall (as opposed to some I?ve been in which don?t quite wrap all the way around, or stop right above you). I came out feeling like this (actually we all came out feeling like this): ?Well it was definitely huge.? Otherwise?

(MOST OF) THIS FILM WAS NOT FORMATTED FOR AN IMAX THEATER!

The film in an IMAX theater isn?t supposed to look like it?s viewed through a fisheye lens. The towers on Coruscant were definitely taking more than a few bows at the edge of the screen, and there were plenty of curvy people. BIG fisheye effect. Half the picture was wrapped off the edges of the screen, way up and behind you, right off the edges of the room. That would be fine if the missing portions didn't involve specifically framed film elements.. If you?re going to show a regular movie on an IMAX screen, *especially* if you have the opportunity to re-render the entire film, it would be wonderful if you could recompose the exposition scenes a bit, and ZOOM OUT. IMAX is all about wide open spaces. (or was it wide, open FACES?) Close-up shots were ridiculously huge, and desperately needed wider angles. A considerable portion of the movie was giant nostrils and skin blemishes, and massive towering, stretched faces and warped actors. We were hoping we might see more of the interior spaces used to refit the images, but instead we got 50 foot tall banana shaped Jedi. ?Blurry? was another word we all used several times after the film finished. Is there a frame rate difference in IMAX film? Action scenes weren?t very smooth, it looked like what you get when you convert 24fps film to 30fps video. Lagging motion and double images.

My opinion in the end: . The detail visible through most of the film was FANTASTIC. When the occasional proper IMAX style panoramic shots appeared, it was great. But overall not enough effort was done to make it IMAX compatible. It felt like the equivalent of taking a standard unaltered theatrical print, and projecting it on the inside of a giant white ball, and masking off the bottom 1/4 of the picture where the seating gets in the way.

Were the other IMAX visual presentations of AOTC like this? Our sound sucked, but that was the technician?s fault. I know that theater packs a serious system, and I have seen the movie in a digital theater, so I know how good it can sound. I know this IMAX is one of the better ones, but I have to also wonder whether somehow one of the technicians stuffed it up..
  24. Tobey-Wan FanForce CR Northwest Ohio

Chapter Rep
    star 9
    Caught IMAX Clones this weekend. It was a good experience, however I was sitting in the second row so it wasn't what it could have been for me. The bigger format did allow me to see Ewan's ear piercings and the Coke can on the balcony at Naboo.

Seeing the OT on IMAX would be a treat, but I think George will wait til he gets short on cash. ;)
  25. JediTBD Jedi Knight

star 1
    Darth_scrupulus wrote:
    -------------------------------------
    Were the other IMAX visual presentations of AOTC like this? Our sound sucked, but that was the technician?s fault. I know that theater packs a serious system, and I have seen the movie in a digital theater, so I know how good it can sound. I know this IMAX is one of the better ones, but I have to also wonder whether somehow one of the technicians stuffed it up..
    ------------------------------------

well, botht he IMAX's i went to (Jordans furniture and Providence Place) had flat screens with slight curve left and right...the sound in Providence sucked, but it's an older theater than Jordan's (which had *incredible* sound BTW)....I couldn't imagine it on a domed screen....

oh, and I got my Ep II DVD the other night and I had gone to see the IMAX version again last friday (I got a free ticket out of the deal though because they had technical difficulties with the film, so we all got complimentary passes...) and comparing the two, I found that a lot ofthe scenes cut for IMAX were pretty important (well, except for the "sound of music" scene), but it just made me confirm my original thoughts that the IMAX is pure eye candy for the fans....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.