main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SPY REPORT: Cutting the IMAX Clones & Your IMAX Reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by chitwood, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    Very good review Dearth_Scrupulous. I saw it on a dome also and thought the quality suffered for the reasons you mentioned. I wish I'd gone to a flat screened IMAX. When I went the image seemed to drift in and out of focus as things moved across the dome. I'm glad I went but wish I'd spent my $10 to see it on a flat screen.

2. Dearth_Scrupulous

Dearth_Scrupulous Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2002
    Thanks MasterAero, and you're right about the screen difference, I am hereby editing the all caps line from my review to say:

THIS FILM WAS NOT FORMATTED FOR AN IMAX DOME THEATER!

I hadn't realized how rare IMAX Domes apparently are. I've been to maybe four IMAX theaters, and at least two were Domes. But when I check the IMAX listings, certain theaters say "Dome" prominently in the title, while the rest are just "IMAX Theater". Can't say as I paid much attention before.. Now I know. Note to self: From now on, see all IMAX-Converted Major Motion Pictures at Not-A-Dome IMAX Theaters.

3. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    Yes I think Domes are usually called 'Omnimax'..I have been to domes in St. Louis, Hutchinson, KS and here in Huntsville. I think normal IMAX movies may look better on the dome, like "Magic of Flight" but definitely not AotC. I will not go see Apollo 13 on the dome when it comes here. I may still go see AotC on a flat screen for comparison.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.